PDA

View Full Version : Hey dudes, Critique my bike

TheSandman
04-07-2012, 5:14 PM
Finished up my rigid shovel and getting all the loose ends tightened up. The more and more I look at it, something doesn't look right to me. I think the wide glide looks out of place. I have a narrow glide that I'm thinking of swapping out.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the shitty pics.

UPDATE ON PAGE 9

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/216b675f.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/69587a80.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/50a81015.jpg

eliwolf6
04-07-2012, 5:24 PM
personally i think its the bars, i wouldn't go with the apes, maybe some smaller z bars

spdmtlrcng
04-07-2012, 5:26 PM
I dig it but, Its def the bars. If you have a narrow glide fork then put that on and go with the Z's, a moto type bar, or some drag bars.

Also, and its just an opinion, I fucking hate the old ford side mount tail lights. It just seems like such a cop out and everyone has them. Unfortunately, thats exactly what I have and that explains my hatred of them.

bkrtrsh
04-07-2012, 5:28 PM
110% Gotta do something about those bars. They got to much swish.

TheSandman
04-07-2012, 5:40 PM
Haha, yeah the tail ilight isn't my favorite but I couldn't decide on a better looking side mount light.

Honestly , never thought about the bars, although I kinda like apes.

The only thing is wih the apes and the forward controls, my lower back and groin are stretch and ache over time. I feel like the apes help my back some. A smaller bar with forwards would stretch me out more.

I plan on making some mids once the winter hits.

Kickstarts
04-07-2012, 5:49 PM
I think it looks great...except for the tan seat. The color stands out. I prefer a frame mounted seat myself but the bike looks great. I'd keep the apes.

bkrtrsh
04-07-2012, 5:51 PM
I got it figured out. I got apes on my Shovelhead. (Love apes) The difference is my apes are made for a wideglide front end. They're wider at the bottom to match out to the triple trees. And the bends at the bottom and out to your hands are sharp and not radiused like the ones you have...Make any sense? Gawd, now I'm confused.

brach77
04-07-2012, 5:55 PM
I love the apes but am not digging the fender. every time I look at my eye gets drawn to the rear of the bike.

crmnl
04-07-2012, 6:23 PM
looks good to me, i wouldn't change a thing.... except for the forward controls

TheSandman
04-07-2012, 6:44 PM
I got it figured out. I got apes on my Shovelhead. (Love apes) The difference is my apes are made for a wideglide front end. They're wider at the bottom to match out to the triple trees. And the bends at the bottom and out to your hands are sharp and not radiused like the ones you have...Make any sense? Gawd, now I'm confused.

Yeah dude I know what you mean. I actually think the apes fit the wide glide pretty good.

I do understand about the fender too, got it because the tank has an old paint job and didn't think fresh paint on a fender would match.

Keep it coming guys.

easyspeed
04-07-2012, 6:56 PM
I'de personnal ride it as is, but here you go:

Looks to me to be a little mishmoshed, is that a polished or chrome fender? You have black trees, chrome bars, and the engine is pretty cast / unpolished looking. Tan Seat sticks out, bags look to be a off color. The wrapped pipes are a bit ehhhhh too.

Sorry to pick , but if it were me. I'de not run much new chrome over a bike with little or worn chrome. Seems to really stick out. Maybe chromed trees, chrome fork caps, polished rocker covers, polish here or there. Fresh paint on tank , maybe fender too. That would do it for me

Either and any way. Good job, it's looking 100 time better than any stocker out there!

TheSandman
04-07-2012, 7:20 PM
I'de personnal ride it as is, but here you go:

Looks to me to be a little mishmoshed, is that a polished or chrome fender? You have black trees, chrome bars, and the engine is pretty cast / unpolished looking. Tan Seat sticks out, bags look to be a off color. The wrapped pipes are a bit ehhhhh too.

Sorry to pick , but if it were me. I'de not run much new chrome over a bike with little or worn chrome. Seems to really stick out. Maybe chromed trees, chrome fork caps, polished rocker covers, polish here or there. Fresh paint on tank , maybe fender too. That would do it for me

Either and any way. Good job, it's looking 100 time better than any stocker out there!

Fender is polished, that's starting to dull out. Most of the covers are a worn out polished finish. The tree's are a wrinkled that's all chipped up, cam cover is chrome but it's popping in some places. I wasn't going for a clean, shiny bike. Wanted something worn and weathered. I really didn't have an option with the bars, figured they would look better then black.

Yeah the more I'm looking, the more the seat doesn't flow well with me.

Vaughn
I think if you're gonna keep the apes then keep the wide glide front end, they just go together. I agree with the guy that mentioned the rear fender. to me that's the only thing really out of place. the rest is a matter of taste. I hate sprung solo's if you're gonna go rigid go rigid. Like someone else said earlier it's 100% better than any stock ride! You've done a great job already. Now get out and ride it like you stole it!!

ksroger
How about powder coating the lower forks black, and builed yourself a sissy bar for it...

ksroger
04-07-2012, 7:23 PM
If your going to keep the apes. keep the wide glide front end....just adding more thoughts for you....Plus I would go with a different seat...

TheSandman
04-07-2012, 7:24 PM
I think if you're gonna keep the apes then keep the wide glide front end, they just go together. I agree with the guy that mentioned the rear fender. to me that's the only thing really out of place. the rest is a matter of taste. I hate sprung solo's if you're gonna go rigid go rigid. Like someone else said earlier it's 100% better than any stock ride! You've done a great job already. Now get out and ride it like you stole it!!

If I did go with another fender, I'm sure how I would match it with the rest of the bike. I can't paint it with fresh paint, it wom't flow wih the tank.

I'm definitely not painting the tank, it's a flattened out black that's covered in old pinstripe/scroll design. I'd get another tank before I painted that one.

Sighless
04-07-2012, 7:35 PM
I agree with easyspeed. You have shiny with dull and your seat and your solo bag aren't the same color brown. If it were mine I would scotch bright the fender to match the fork legs, maybe even the bars and risers.

Sighless
04-07-2012, 7:38 PM
You know what, I think it's the shiny oil bag. The fender and oil bag having a shine where as the rest of the bike looks ridden. Take the shine of those two things would make a big difference, IMHO anyway. I do like the apes and the wide glide though. The bike does look good overall, nothing wrong with is as it sits, get a few thousand miles on it and it'll look just right!

coldsmokejr
04-07-2012, 7:39 PM
The entire bike is awful..just awful, you could sell it to me and I'll try to deal with it! Hahaha, JK, I do agree though, it's the chrome fender that's killin me, I think paint would bring it together for ya, and maybe some diffrent bars?Good bike man, good job.

TheSandman
04-07-2012, 7:47 PM
Thanks dudes. I think I might go out tomorrow and scotch brite the fender and see how it turns out.

Also will probably look out for another seat too, wasn't really crazy about it anyways. Plus my buddy gave it to me.

ltuck
04-07-2012, 8:08 PM
I kinda like it. Not wild about the tank, but thats about my only complaint. People talk shit about em, but I think the apes look good, and theyre def comfortable as hell. And, i would set another tank on it before doing anything to the fender, just to see how it looks.

poonslammer
04-07-2012, 8:16 PM
dude hook up some 8-10 inch risers with drag bars ;) my .02

TheSandman
04-07-2012, 8:18 PM
This was posted up on instagram. I'm definitely digging the seat. Anyone know who makes it?

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/424f381f.jpg

psychokat
04-07-2012, 8:36 PM
Here's my two cents. First off, to the expert who opined ' ditch the sprung seat, if you're gonna ride a rigid- ride a rigid'; rigid framed harleys had a pogo seat. Regarded by many as the most comfortable 'suspension' ever made for a harley. Which leads me to my next point:
Sandman, you built yourself a bitchin', rigid chopper, I'm guessing according to your vision of what you wanted. Don't let the dozens of opinions being voiced here sway you from what YOU think is cool. Granted, I know you asked for feedback, but it seems to me you're looking for approval, why? If you followed even half of the 'advice' you've gotten, you'd have to build like three more bikes! In my humble opinion, if you have to get approval that your bike is 'outlaw' enough or 'gangster' enough- it kinda defeats the purpose. Build what YOU want, if you think an even mix of old polish, new polish, peeling chrome and chipped paint is righteous, run it! Hell with what anyone thinks!

p.s. I would take with a grain of salt any opinion which consists of 'your bike is ok, but your browns don't match'. Sounds like good advice for your 'ol Lady's wardrobe...

bigdaddy
04-07-2012, 8:38 PM
looks like hell. you should give it to me...for free. i'll find something to do with it.

ridemore16
04-07-2012, 8:51 PM
This was posted up on instagram. I'm definitely digging the seat. Anyone know who makes it?

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/424f381f.jpg

Maybe Haifley Brothers? Check out Rich Phillips too if you like that bates style. Rich makes a bates style tuck and roll that is pretty awesome. I had it on a previous bike and wish I would have kept it!

I think your bike is killer man...ride the piss out of it!

LivingCanvas
04-07-2012, 10:16 PM
There's only minor preference stuff I'd change if it were mine. But If I saw you roll up, I wouldn't think there was anything wrong with it

hillakilla
04-08-2012, 2:22 AM
Also, and its just an opinion, I fucking hate the old ford side mount tail lights. It just seems like such a cop out and everyone has them.

agreed. what made them cool was when they actually were old ford tail lights, re-purposed for a bike. buying it new makes it no longer an old ford tailight.

TimB1640
04-08-2012, 6:20 AM
agreed. what made them cool was when they actually were old ford tail lights, re-purposed for a bike. buying it new makes it no longer an old ford tailight.

i have 3 of those lights. 2 of them are reproductions and 1 is the real thing and that's the one i plan on using ( i like it the best out of the 3)

KrowMagnum
04-08-2012, 6:22 AM
First, I would dye the seat and bag black and I would probably go with different apes.

TheSandman
04-08-2012, 6:58 AM
Maybe Haifley Brothers? Check out Rich Phillips too if you like that bates style. Rich makes a bates style tuck and roll that is pretty awesome. I had it on a previous bike and wish I would have kept it!

Thanks man. I'm gonna try and find it.

If I can fab up some mid controls for it, I would like to get some shorter bars, preferably some short wide Z's.

I like my wide glide, but I'm thinking with the rest of the bike being somewhat slimmer (not meaning narrow, lane splitter) the wide glide seems to stick out at me. The apes probably aren't helping either.

tradarcher
04-08-2012, 7:07 AM
Awesome bike! If I bought this bike I probably would not change a thing right away but at my leisure I might look for a sissy bar which might warrant a new fender because I would want it parallel with the forks. I might then look for some upsweeps to replace the plain straight pipes. I am pretty sure I would be looking for a King tank too.

TheSandman
04-08-2012, 7:15 AM
Awesome bike! If I bought this bike I probably would not change a thing right away but at my leisure I might look for a sissy bar which might warrant a new fender because I would want it parallel with the forks. I might then look for some upsweeps to replace the plain straight pipes. I am pretty sure I would be looking for a King tank too.

Yeah that tank is only 2 gallons and with the super e, I don't get much mileage with it. I'm currently looking at possibly swapping tanks.

I also have a some piping and a collector to make a 2 into 1 setup. Just gotta go out and get started on it.

ajInMs
04-08-2012, 7:45 AM
A lot of those ideas are great, but just ride the piss out of it and let it slowly evolve into something you truly desire. Just kind of let the bike "talk" to you and she'll let you know what she needs. Just enjoy it and ride the piss out of it first and foremost. It's a super nice scoot and one to be proud of.

ARBY
04-08-2012, 8:18 AM
It's perfect other then the brown leather stuff.

loony
04-08-2012, 8:45 AM
AT first glance I would say that the forks need to be black Or the yokes need to be natural. The bars should match the yokes too in my opinion, so maybe black bars?

My bike has the opposite, black forks with natural yokes and black bars, it has never looked right.

The curve in the bars at the top for me is too large and long before it get to the controls. So maybe narrower apes?

Other wise the only other thing thats not pefect is its not mine and it not in my garage. Nice job well done.

Hubbard
04-08-2012, 9:26 AM

Yes and it's in the wrong yard, should be in mine. Paint the fender too.

shiftace
04-08-2012, 9:33 AM
the bad.

forwards
bars
tailight
brake rotor.

the good.
the rest of it.

even floor boards would be better than the forwards, although mids would look best.

tighter bars, or lower at least. chunky risers to help keep the WG from looking weird

any other light besides that one, mounted anyplace else.

the lare model rotor looks weird, find an older swiss cheese one or old pm or something.

my $ 02

HitmanDave
04-08-2012, 9:36 AM
are you gonna post a picture of all the woman in your life so we can critique them too? thats a beautiful bike man fuck what anyone says

TheSandman
04-08-2012, 10:43 AM
are you gonna post a picture of all the woman in your life so we can critique them too? thats a beautiful bike man fuck what anyone says

I think I got her straight. I'm more worried about the bike now, lol

the bad.

forwards
bars
tailight
brake rotor.

the good.
the rest of it.

even floor boards would be better than the forwards, although mids would look best.

tighter bars, or lower at least. chunky risers to help keep the WG from looking weird

any other light besides that one, mounted anyplace else.

the lare model rotor looks weird, find an older swiss cheese one or old pm or something.

my $ 02

Yeah the tail light isn't something I'm that proud of. I perfer shit to look different, but I just couldn't find a side mounted tail light setup that I liked besides that one.

I'm sure what you guys see on the forwards that aren't appealing though? They really don't bother me other then the fact I'm too stretched out. Asthetically I think they look ok.

I've also been brainstorming on bars, I might get Zombie or MercuryMoto to make me some wide z's that are about the same width as the wideglide and see how they look.

I wasn't a fan of apes until I put those on when it was a swingarm and they were comfortable. I don't think they fit the style of this bike that much now.

I've always liked Z's though, plus a drag bar wouldn't look that good on this either IMO.

I think I got her straight. I'm more worried about the bike now, lol

Kickfiend
04-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I think its real nice. I have always been a fan of the narrow glide over the wide glide tho, on a bike like yours I would say its all about what you think looks better on there.

TheSandman
04-08-2012, 7:14 PM

Hey found the seat. It is a Sully's custom. Lowbrow sells it and has some better pics of it.

Looks like I'll try and sell mine and pick up that one.

SyndicateChoppers
04-08-2012, 8:08 PM
theres really not much wrong with it
its your personal taste
I personally am not into wide glide right now but that doesnt mean theres anything wrong with the front end
a few years I built two bikes back to back with wide glide front ends because a few years ago I was into them

hell man just be happy you have a shovel to ride and are capable of putting something together yourself

if your looking for opinions though I would maybe pick a particular style your going for
whether it be a frisco style, modern chopper style, vintage chopper style etc. and go with it

it looks like you have a few different types of styles, and parts on the bike

me personally I hate side mount tail lights,
I dont like apes, and I dont like white exhaust wrap
and the rear fender is a little off
Im not diggin the seat or the gas tank

but again seriously it doesnt matter what I say
if you like then so be it and ride the hell out of it

I think cone shovels look cool when theyre done up as skinny lane splitter styled bikes
maybe go with a narrow glide front end, some window or attack type bars and a rigid mount seat and a little different style tank, like a narrowed peanut or egg style tank
I think that would really set the bike off

but again thats just my personal opinion

built it to what YOU want

L8erSk8er
04-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Seat and fender are my only input.. apes look good in a wideglide... but if you go narrow glide, you better start looking a skinner tank too....

gravitywerx
04-09-2012, 5:39 PM
few things i can put in the mix

1. its not in my garage
2. i dont get to ride it
3. its not in my name
4. its not mine

but i like it, few things here and there that are minor. i would ride it, then take it out to eat buy it a drink......i `was always backwards.....

Skyhigh88
04-09-2012, 6:55 PM
personally i think its the bars, i wouldn't go with the apes, maybe some smaller z bars

i agree...but im just not a fan of apes...kind of see them all over...some zombie wingus bars would look sick

TheSandman
04-09-2012, 6:59 PM
i agree...but im just not a fan of apes...kind of see them all over...some zombie wingus bars would look sick

The wingus bars are too small for that bike. I was thinking the zombie apes, lol. Or some old school wide z's would look bad ass.

I think once I fab some mids up I'm gonna find some wide z's.

brach77
04-09-2012, 7:06 PM
I run 12" zombie Zeez on my wg and they look killer. Steffan matched the front end perfect.

NHMike
04-09-2012, 7:06 PM
Looks killer man!! I dig the Apes personally.

eric123
04-10-2012, 9:01 AM
I think the bike looks good as she stands...

gigastatt
04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I would lose the stock front rotor for something else 5 spoke holey style or just a copy of an early 80 drilled 10 inch. when you use stock rotors it makes the front end look stock. lose the tall apes and go with a narrow chump style or a drag bar on 6 inch panhead style risers. Other than that ride it. Tim

scout41
04-10-2012, 2:03 PM
I'd ride it the way it is, personally I'd take the wraps off the exhaust.
I was looking at it though and this bike popped into my head, loved this style, from what I see it's what you're going for.

http://www.georgesantiquemotorcycletrader.com/mc/pictures/29111808.JPG

Don't think you'd have to change it all that much to get this same stance, etc. The bars are stocks, just risers. It's real simple, no bullshit. Normally I'd ditch or chop that huge rear fender, but it works on this bike.
The description:

"658. 11/29/2011 motorheadmike@comcast.net message: FOR SALE 1952 harley davidson panhead. all original frame tanks and rear fender. Its a stock rake with a 21 inch front wheel and all original componets. real primarys and drive . late sixtys style , orig iron cross taillite before west coast choppers copied the image . Late 60,s twisted sissy bar.12 volt. strong engine and rebuilt trannie. I built this . been building since 1972.. 12.500 Call mike @ 732 255 5854 . Sorry about the incorrect ph # in my other ad. [ picture included ]"

http://www.georgesantiquemotorcycletrader.com/mc/forsale3.html

scout41
04-10-2012, 2:26 PM
What I'm trying to get at is you could freak out and go on some weird tangent by changing out this and that--the rotors, the rear fender, etc.
To me, the bike needs to flow. There needs to be a sweeping motion from front to back, and I'm thinking that's you're problem, why something doesn't seem "right."
My eye goes straight to that gap between your tank and the motor, and then up to the bars--but side view isn't as bad. Changing out minute details should contribute to the overall layout of the bike. However you want to achieve that, whether you run split tanks, tunnel the one you have, add a sissy, etc.--that's up to you.

punkrod
04-10-2012, 2:34 PM
Dude! Totally awesome shovel! That's saying a lot considering that I've never liked that tank on any bike. I have 1 suggestions and one mandatory:
#1 Suggestion: Find a better front brake MC. I suggest springing for the kustom tech, it'll improve the whole bike.
#1 mandatory must change: Ditch the header wrap, taillight and solo bag. I usually don't tell folks how thier stuff should be but I need to make an exception because that shit is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo played out.

qballdsm
04-10-2012, 5:20 PM
Looks sweet as is!

Heis
04-10-2012, 8:01 PM
ill be honest, didn't ready through the posts. from looking at the pics i'd say either swap the forks to match the diameter of the front of the frame, or swap the bars for a thicker diameter to match the forks and even out the front. fork swap would probably be easiest tho. good looking bike none the less.

TheSandman
04-10-2012, 8:43 PM
Thanks dudes.

Got a line on a set of old school wide Z's I'm gonna try.

Any recommendations on another tail light? I have a few ideas on the exhaust so the drags will stay on until winte then I'll take care of those.

Wanna try and keep it somewhat together so I can ride this summer

UncleMonkey
04-11-2012, 4:27 PM
Great looking bike. I like the apes even though your's seem to have a funky soft bends.

Z-bars (and clamp on's) are so over done now...baggers are putting them on so that should be a clue they ran their course.

Rear fender is too bright compared to the rest of the bike.

punkrod
04-11-2012, 5:05 PM
Any recommendations on another tail light?

Something odd like this Lucas L529:
http://smmotorco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=106

TheSandman
04-11-2012, 5:12 PM
Great looking bike. I like the apes even though your's seem to have a funky soft bends.

Z-bars (and clamp on's) are so over done now...baggers are putting them on so that should be a clue they ran their course.

Rear fender is too bright compared to the rest of the bike.

My apes are biltwell's and they actually aren't that bad. They have a little too much pull back for me but it isn't that bad.

I was gonna try some wide z's on the wide glide. I personally think it would look cool.

darkdesign
04-11-2012, 11:56 PM
what's wrong? mebbe scotchbrite the ac and the rear fender, but otherwise stop staring at it, and ride it.

elmiguel13
04-12-2012, 1:29 AM
what's wrong? mebbe scotchbrite the ac and the rear fender, but otherwise stop staring at it, and ride it.

yep.

TheSandman
04-14-2012, 1:47 PM
Well dudes one update. Hooked up with a local guy who makes leather shit for bikes and had him make me a black spring seat. Came out decent I think. It's a little narrower then the brown larosa. Ditched the solo bag and have some Z's coming.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/1c23f6ab.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/05c1fa0a.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/c29c6f99.jpg

NHMike
04-14-2012, 2:43 PM
Dig the seat, keep the Apes man. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Z's, but the Apes look "right" on there.

ksroger
04-14-2012, 4:38 PM
The seat really made a difference, looks good!

ARBY
04-14-2012, 8:32 PM
Dig the seat, keep the Apes man. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Z's, but the Apes look "right" on there.

Damn right. You've made all the right changes. Don't screw it up now and turn it into a punkcycle. Everybody now wants what you have and any suggestions they make are designed to fag it out because they're jealous of you.

ZinaciousZ
04-15-2012, 1:48 AM
I Love Ape Hangers too man! If you want it to have a sleeker, faster looking appearance without giving up with performace check out Burley Brand Narrow Apes they come in gloss black and chrome. I have ridden with 16" apes on my 08 Sporty for 3 years and I love them.

Check out this link.

http://www.burlybrand.com/apehangers/narrowapes.aspx

KrowMagnum
04-15-2012, 5:01 AM
Looks much better with the black seat. It might be a little narrow but as long as it fits your ass...

But don't listen to us too much. This is your bike, your creation. Do it the way you want and who gives a shit what anyone else thinks.

Hubbard
04-15-2012, 6:51 AM
Damn right. You've made all the right changes. Don't screw it up now and turn it into a punkcycle. Everybody now wants what you have and any suggestions they make are designed to fag it out because they're jealous of you.

Arby, whats a "punkcycle"? Is that one of those moped lookin things without fenders? LOL

TheSandman
04-15-2012, 7:43 AM
Looks much better with the black seat. It might be a little narrow but as long as it fits your ass...

Well that's my only gripe is it's a little small for me. The larosa was little over 10" and this one's 9.5". Hard to believe but 1/2" makes a difference.

As for the solo bag, I like the look without it but I liked thpracticality of it. I used it for my lunch when I rode to work. So I gotta figure out if I need a black bag on there or not.

Honestly as far as the WG goes, I think it's a little wide for the bike, feel like the bikes too narrow (not lane splitter narrow you hipsters) for the WG. If I kept the split bobs, then I would keep it no doubt. I would like to keep the 41mm tubes and find some narrow tree's if I can. That way I still get that beefy front end look but skinnier.

coldsmokejr
04-15-2012, 4:40 PM
Ok, it's done, now go ride the that fucker like a rental.

Dig
04-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Dude that just looks like a bike that should have apes. Z bars are done as fuckin done can be. Drag bars are killed to death. This thing already has a nice, timeless look without being all trendy and shit.

scout41
04-16-2012, 1:39 PM
how can apes, z's or drags be trendy? Whatever works with the bike, run it.

BnC
04-16-2012, 2:13 PM
This whole thread is pretty pointless, get inspired and build your bike however you want.

Your either fishing for compliments or you need to pick up a street chopper or old easriders and see what makes a nice chop. Handlebar and frontends and paint and frame choices are so endless and personal. looks like you already got some nice lines so close out this thread finish the bike then show it off!

squarefour
04-16-2012, 2:25 PM
Before you toss the wide glide, you might want to try a slightly fatter tire up there for proportionality.
I was curious how it'd look, plus I thought some matching striping on the fender/tank would tie it in.:

btiratsoo
04-17-2012, 6:47 PM
Only thing I'd change, delete this thread.

Sweet bike, that saddle suits it. I wouldn't change anything.

Spartan1
04-17-2012, 7:01 PM
Only thing I'd change, delete this thread.

Sweet bike, that saddle suits it. I wouldn't change anything.

I agree. Nice bike. Maybe some gators would give the front end that vintage look?

KrowMagnum
04-19-2012, 4:13 AM
Well that's my only gripe is it's a little small for me. The larosa was little over 10" and this one's 9.5". Hard to believe but 1/2" makes a difference.

As for the solo bag, I like the look without it but I liked thpracticality of it. I used it for my lunch when I rode to work. So I gotta figure out if I need a black bag on there or not.

Honestly as far as the WG goes, I think it's a little wide for the bike, feel like the bikes too narrow (not lane splitter narrow you hipsters) for the WG. If I kept the split bobs, then I would keep it no doubt. I would like to keep the 41mm tubes and find some narrow tree's if I can. That way I still get that beefy front end look but skinnier.

The right seat can be tough. I've had 4 different solo seats on my shovel and started with a West Eagle that was about 9.5, then went with a Bates style10" seat which was better but still not quite right for my ass. I got a 10.5" West Eagle that fits pretty good but not enough padding and finally ended up buying a cheap 12" solo seat, cut the sides to about 11" and recovered it in heavy cowhide. It's kinda funny looking but it's comfortable and that's what counts in a seat.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2223/shovelseat.jpg

I agree the bike looks better and cleaner without the solo bag but I can't live without mine. You can get Kiwi brand leather dye for shoes that works pretty good if you want to dye it black.

I think the wide glide looks ok on the bike but narrower trees would look good too, especially with the front wheel you have. I think the back fender looks good too.

TheSandman
04-19-2012, 4:48 AM
The right seat can be tough. I've had 4 different solo seats on my shovel and started with a West Eagle that was about 9.5, then went with a Bates style10" seat which was better but still not quite right for my ass. I got a 10.5" West Eagle that fits pretty good but not enough padding and finally ended up buying a cheap 12" solo seat, cut the sides to about 11" and recovered it in heavy cowhide. It's kinda funny looking but it's comfortable and that's what counts in a seat.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2223/shovelseat.jpg

I agree the bike looks better and cleaner without the solo bag but I can't live without mine. You can get Kiwi brand leather dye for shoes that works pretty good if you want to dye it black.

I think the wide glide looks ok on the bike but narrower trees would look good too, especially with the front wheel you have. I think the back fender looks good too.

I got some 4" springs on the way to see if it will help. I've gotten a little used to it so we'll see.

My trees will be here tomorrow so if I have time this weekend, I'll try and swap them out.

KrowMagnum
04-19-2012, 4:53 AM
I got some 4" springs on the way to see if it will help. I've gotten a little used to it so we'll see.

My trees will be here tomorrow so if I have time this weekend, I'll try and swap them out.

I used 4" springs on that seat and it made a big difference.

Matridge
05-07-2012, 1:51 PM
looks good to me, i like the bars. the solo bag is kinda a catch 22, i take mine on and off at least 2 times a year. i like the look without it, but sometimes you just have to bring a hoodie, or some tools, or lunch. black seat does look better too. im also with you on not painting that tank with the nice pinstripes. if it doesnt need it leave it.

rowan
05-07-2012, 2:15 PM
newbie here and a bit late
Looks good,
Ride it !!

Gartec
05-07-2012, 8:37 PM
you need to go with a sporty tank or a axed alien tank.

swap bars too

ie...http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd93/gartec/imag0030-1.jpg

chopshopsnake
05-07-2012, 8:54 PM
If you go wideglide you gotta lose the front brake.. and change the bars.. then you gotta change the tank and get a different paint job and then you may as well change the seat.. one thing always leads to another.. its a very good looking bike and has a timeless look.. run it man.

Townson
05-07-2012, 9:02 PM
pretty damn nice i think.

TemeculaTerry
05-07-2012, 9:22 PM
Forwards on a short bike like that doesnt do it for me, well forwards in general but this time I have a reason.

I like this bike, i think you have a nice ride right there and I would be stoked to run it!

TheSandman
05-08-2012, 4:54 AM
you need to go with a sporty tank or a axed alien tank.

swap bars too

ie...http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd93/gartec/imag0030-1.jpg

Nah, I like my mustang tank. Sporty tanks look good, but everyone has one.

I definitely want to swap the bars. The wide glide looks good on that bike, wonder if it's the mini drum?

Forwards on a short bike like that doesnt do it for me, well forwards in general but this time I have a reason.

I like this bike, i think you have a nice ride right there and I would be stoked to run it!

Yeah, I'm planning on making some mids for it, trying to hold out until the fall/winter.

Once I get the mids, I can put some smaller bars because I'm a little stretched on it.

Tatguy
05-09-2012, 4:44 AM
Lower the front 2 inches, put 16 inch apes with less curvature, black out the fender and seat, that's what I would do.
Nice bike just the way it is too but those are changes I would make.
Keep us up on the progress.

TheSandman
06-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Well I have another update. Changed up a few things, and one change wasn't voluntary, lol.

Anywho, I swapped out my apes for wide Z, swapped out the wrapped exhaust, swapped out the seat again, lowered the front a little more, and am swapping out my forward controls as we speak (reason why both sides aren't the same)

Overall I'm REALLY happy with the way it's looking now, the Z's made a big difference I think.

And my unvoluntary change was with my license plate light and bracket. I was riding home thursday from work and right past a bridge there's a big bump that always launhces me out of my seat. Well anyways I hit that bump and not long after that I hear something clanking as I'm going down the highway. I look back and my license light/bracket is cart-wheeling down the highway.

It was welded on but I think where I fucked up where I welded it, I didn't weld enough of the bracket to the frame so it wasn't supported fully. It must have been cracking as I'm riding and finally broke off with that bump.

Now I'm on the hunt for a new tailight setup. I think I'm gonna go with a AFC titmouse but I'm not 100% yet. Any suggestions?

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/611b5690.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/7ea3ce6f.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/04019807.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/b8c3d6b6.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/045945aa.jpg

Beefdrippings
06-10-2012, 1:30 PM
Good thing it didn't get stuck in your wheel.I didn't mind the bars before but I wasn't too keen on the pipe wrap.Looks good.

Ogcoda
06-10-2012, 2:19 PM
Hate to be "That Dude" But i think a springer would pull it together! The bike looks killer the way it sits though

TheSandman
06-10-2012, 2:26 PM
Hate to be "That Dude" But i think a springer would pull it together! The bike looks killer the way it sits though

Yeah I'd love to get a acme springer on this. I dig the wide glide through, even more with the Z's

mrkil
06-10-2012, 5:54 PM
Personally I think you just need to change the seat colour to match the bag. It will make it stand out less

HAAR
07-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Ok I haven't read any of the responses yet - so here is my take:
The bike looks like every other "bobber." you should dig down deep and let the bike convey some of your personality. The chrome fender-unless you have a chrome tank, is too much to look at. Also get some fork gaiters that fit that bike perfectly=Narrow the apes or get some Z bars from biltwell get a wassel tank and get a little mirror. I would get a better looking tail light-- have a custom made tag bracket from fab kevin. maybe go horizontal. Lose the front brake- loose the bulky coil-relocate it in a hidden area, get a cooler points cover-Think Narrow-think no two customs should look the same- go with a vintage headlight with an amber lens- get a garage leather bag-stay with the brown only if your paint works well with the brown-other wise get black solo bag and seat keep the back tire and front tire

elmiguel13
07-14-2012, 1:03 AM
The bike looks like every other "bobber." you should dig down deep and let the bike convey some of your personality. The chrome fender-unless you have a chrome tank, is too much to look at. Also get some fork gaiters that fit that bike perfectly=Narrow the apes or get some Z bars from biltwell get a wassel tank and get a little mirror. I would get a better looking tail light-- have a custom made tag bracket from fab kevin. maybe go horizontal. Lose the front brake- loose the bulky coil-relocate it in a hidden area, get a cooler points cover-Think Narrow-think no two customs should look the same- go with a vintage headlight with an amber lens- get a garage leather bag-stay with the brown only if your paint works well with the brown-other wise get black solo bag and seat keep the back tire and front tire

Thats funny because what you told him to do to his bike to make it "no two customs should look the same" is basically the chopper checklist of cookie cutter bikes that you see today.

ironhead86
07-14-2012, 2:45 AM
Don't have the patience to read ten pages so this may have been mention but the least you could do is trim the apes back so your controls sit farther in narrowing it up a bit. They have to much pull back for me. I like around 5in for my short ass

The tank looks akward being that big 3.5 gal? And almost flat bottom. If you like to show your frame off then get a streched peanut or king sporty tank otherwise low mounted split tanks look better in my opinion.

Looks killer other wise and I hope you are enjoying the fuck outta it!! Keep it up man

TheSandman
07-14-2012, 6:00 AM
Hey dudes, go back to page 9 and you'll see my updates I did with pics.

The gas tank is around 2 gallons btw.

bigdaddy
07-14-2012, 2:55 PM

i think you should go with a pink and purple lace paint job, and then add some cool saddle bags and some fringe to hang from the grips, 18 inch apes, and mag wheels.

sorry, i had to justify arby's response. i'm diggin the zbars. that thing is spot on bad assness.

easyspeed
07-14-2012, 3:51 PM
what frame is that in? I like the way it sits with that rake. Looking good!

Stubs
07-14-2012, 4:25 PM
I like the wide glide but i think they look cooler when the lower tree is flipped. It makes the fork look a lot lower.

TheSandman
07-14-2012, 6:27 PM
what frame is that in? I like the way it sits with that rake. Looking good!

Flyrite reach for the sky. It's 0-0-30

HAAR
07-15-2012, 8:35 PM
Originally Posted by HAAR
Thats funny because what you told him to do to his bike to make it "no two customs should look the same" is basically the chopper checklist of cookie cutter bikes that you see today.

I see your point. It is a fine line I guess. Doing something that hasn't been down before is hard. It's a bobber so it is going to look basically the same as the next one. The tricky thing I guess is deciding what you want-a bike that has been done a million times or something never done before that is your personality but it is a risk it won't have the right look when it is done.

poonslammer
07-15-2012, 9:30 PM
i didn't read this whole thing but if you polish your lowers it will balance out that chrome fender

choladay
07-24-2012, 3:22 PM
Looks fine the way it is. I'm not a big fan of apes but to each his own. Ride the piss out of it.

Nosebleed
07-24-2012, 4:02 PM
Geez, I read the first 2 pages of this thread and it gave me a headache.

What do you think of your bike, now that it's been a few months?

Personally, I think that the bike is bitchin and cheers to you for building it. If it were mine, I'd change the bars out to some small apes like the ones that Cory from MainDrive Cycles builds and I would always use black leather on seats, bags, whatever. But that's just my preference.

I'm not nearly as focused as some of these fellers on the overall "design aesthetic" nor do I care whether or not the bike is a "groundbreaking custom." If you like it, ride with pride.

Nosebleed
07-24-2012, 4:07 PM
Originally Posted by HAAR
The bike looks like every other "bobber." you should dig down deep and let the bike convey some of your personality. The chrome fender-unless you have a chrome tank, is too much to look at. Also get some fork gaiters that fit that bike perfectly=Narrow the apes or get some Z bars from biltwell get a wassel tank and get a little mirror. I would get a better looking tail light-- have a custom made tag bracket from fab kevin. maybe go horizontal.

I see your point. It is a fine line I guess. Doing something that hasn't been down before is hard. It's a bobber so it is going to look basically the same as the next one. The tricky thing I guess is deciding what you want-a bike that has been done a million times or something never done before that is your personality but it is a risk it won't have the right look when it is done.

So, in other words, he should let his personality come out in the bike? Maybe he already has. Oh, and so in order to make his bike look different than the rest, he should order up a bunch of parts online from Biltwell and Fab Kevin? Hhhmmm...that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I love the products from those companies, but using them isn't going to bring you to the "next level", it's the small details, I think. Just seems like HAAR is recommending his version of the exact same formula that has left the builder uneasy already, ie: using some common tricks like the Ford tail light and chrome fender etc.

forgivemeasinner
07-24-2012, 4:22 PM
The question is, do you like your bike? If the answer is yes, then ride the hell out of it. If the answer is no, then ride the hell out of it. Build what you want. Ride what you want. Make it the ugliest thing on the planet, but at the end of the day ride that thing like it's the only scooter you'll ever have!

PS: I dig it. Great job!

Ride Free!

IVthCrusade
07-25-2012, 7:36 AM
Yeah, the bike is bitchin dude. Just ride it. You'll decide you like some things and want to change others as you go. Fuck what's cool now. I dig the tank, forks, bars, stance. Looks good.

ThePete
07-25-2012, 7:57 AM
I think the AHC lights are all tits, Gabe makes some killer stuff, either the tit mice or the shot glass would look good on the bike, I've seen a few bikes where a wide glide doesn't quite work, but I've also seen them where it totally completes the bike and makes the rest of it look really sleak but its hard to really tell from photos, its more of a walk around the bike and take it all in kind of a thing where that becomes clear. Personally I don't have a problem with larger tanks but they have to fit the rest of the bike, what you're running now looks fine in my opinion and I too have a fetish for fork gaitors. In the end its your bike so break it till it works.

TheSandman
07-25-2012, 8:14 AM
Thanks dudes.

Right now I got it pretty much where I want it. Gonna change a few small things but for the most part, I like it. I wanna try some gaitors, maybe narrow my bars an inch or so, and lower my front just a tad more to level the bike out. I may run some mullins or wargasser narrow trees if I don't like the wide glide, but that's not until winter.

Recently yanked my front brake to see how it looks and rides. Love the way it looks and I'm getting used to it. I actually like it without the brake, I have a tendency to stab the front brake at times which will bite me in the ass eventually.

I'm trying to source parts to build me up a spool wheel.

Pics for now

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/c1cfc825.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/07b708f8.jpg

EatACactus
07-25-2012, 1:47 PM
Thanks dudes.

Right now I got it pretty much where I want it. Gonna change a few small things but for the most part, I like it. I wanna try some gaitors, maybe narrow my bars an inch or so, and lower my front just a tad more to level the bike out. I may run some mullins or wargasser narrow trees if I don't like the wide glide, but that's not until winter.

Narrow bars and trees would complete the look, imho. Good lookin bike dude.

sonnysgarageco
07-31-2012, 11:58 PM
i think it looks great, love that rear fender, where did you get it?i would maybe lower the front a couple of inches....:clap for you:

TheSandman
08-01-2012, 4:48 AM
i think it looks great, love that rear fender, where did you get it?i would maybe lower the front a couple of inches....:clap for you:

It's a Midwest aluminum ribbed fender. I took scotchbrite and WD40 and sanded it to dull it out. I like it a lot better.

Yeah I plan on lowering it a little more this winter.

Wizardsbane
04-12-2013, 8:41 PM
Sandman, I just came across this thread and would love to see what changes if you have made any as of now.

That being said the picks you put up with the new bars really gave your bike a more aggressive look. I like that.

TheSandman
04-12-2013, 9:02 PM
Sandman, I just came across this thread and would love to see what changes if you have made any as of now.

That being said the picks you put up with the new bars really gave your bike a more aggressive look. I like that.

I changed the bike completely, lol.

New frame, new style.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/th_20BA04AC-65E5-4F6F-8A18-8C8F2EF0B978-10942-00000E29F03336BF_zps1827e188.jpg (http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/?action=view&current=20BA04AC-65E5-4F6F-8A18-8C8F2EF0B978-10942-00000E29F03336BF_zps1827e188.jpg)

Mudslingermafia
04-13-2013, 9:52 AM
looks good. Wanna sell the old frame or pipes?

Wizardsbane
04-13-2013, 1:05 PM
I changed the bike completely, lol.

New frame, new style.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/th_20BA04AC-65E5-4F6F-8A18-8C8F2EF0B978-10942-00000E29F03336BF_zps1827e188.jpg (http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/Hardtop00SS/?action=view&current=20BA04AC-65E5-4F6F-8A18-8C8F2EF0B978-10942-00000E29F03336BF_zps1827e188.jpg)

Damn, You did change everything! Literally. Looks great man!

TheSandman
04-13-2013, 6:30 PM
looks good. Wanna sell the old frame or pipes?

Sold them as soon as I ripped it apart, sorry man.

Damn, You did change everything! Literally. Looks great man!

Yeah man. First version was th first bike I ever built. I learned. Lot about rider position from it, lol.

This time was around was a lot more fun. The bike built itself, I had a vision for it, as I added parts, I took off parts and swapped them out.

VERY happy with this version.