PDA

View Full Version : Free camping along pacific coast?

googoomuck123
04-05-2012, 1:00 PM
Riding from Vancouver to Hermosa Beach and back on the cheap.
Anybody hit up some notable free camping spots along the coast they can let me in on??

Thanks.

DILhackCHOP
04-05-2012, 1:46 PM
in oregon soutroth of coos bay all the way to the border be careful. OSP trooper scott punch had a thing for bikes when i lived there. along the rogue river in gold beach there are lots of gravel and sand bars to camp on. your best bet is up the south side of the river on jerrys flat rd. anywhere up stream of kimbal creek. i would recomend lobstercreek go past the camp ground down to the boat launch then down to the far end of the gravel/sand bar.

googoomuck123
04-06-2012, 3:53 AM
Thanks man, I will keep that in mind.

Zooligan
04-06-2012, 5:16 AM
Riding from Vancouver to Hermosa Beach and back on the cheap.
Anybody hit up some notable free camping spots along the coast they can let me in on??

Thanks.

That sounds like a helluva nice ride! Takin your time, or just a point a - point b thing?

rustrocket84
04-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Unlike Oregon most of the stuff around California won't be free, especially once you get south of San Francisco. I'll see what I can find in a book I have about camping.

This road is not well maintained, but is also not often traveled. http://jrabold.net/bigsur/roadpt1050.htm It has some great views, and more than likely you can find a spot to turn off of and throw down a bedroll and not get hassled.

Also if you need a place to crash, or some help call me. I live about two or so hours inland from Fortuna, CA and have access to a truck and ramp if need be. I have just about every tool needed to fix a bike, though if a welder is needed I'll warn you that my welds are strong, but ugly. Kind of like a farmers shit.

Revelator
04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah...... Below Frisco, The camping gets more expensive, around $25/night.
The cheapest campground I know would be up in the Hollister Hills, just a few miles off the 101.
10 bucks per night & they have free showers. (No fucking around with quarters)
That would be at the Hollister Hills OHV park.
I usually stay at the walnut camp, they have several camps, not all have showers. They also have motocross
racing on sundays, You could make Hollister your last camp night then head for Hermosa.

asiantony
04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Yep, Cali has nothing for free. California hates people, and motorcycles even more. They will arrest you in Huntington Beach for looking at a cop. If you question them, they will impound your bike. I hate pigs. Enjoy your stay!

ThePete
04-06-2012, 1:39 PM
You might be able to get a National Forest Adventure Pass ($30) or the Interagency Annual Pass ($80)

http://www.fs.fed.us/

This may keep the man off your back if you pull off for a nap or whatever plus gives you access into lots of places without the hassle of paying day fees. They've got more information and maps in the link then I care to go into detail about but it may help you out.

googoomuck123
04-06-2012, 2:32 PM
Right on, Thanks alot Guys.

Ive got 7 days to make it there and about 8 days back..
No real plans at all other than staying near the coast. Never ridden through the states before and was just looking to camp off the side of the road but it seems like that is going to be more difficult than imagined.

Gonna write all the info i get down and just play it as i go.
The more info the better.

Thanks!

*rustrocket84 thanks for the offer, hopefully i wont have to cash in on that.

gebeme
04-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I use this site when I travel:
http://freecampsites.net/

Not comprehensive by any means but its a good start. Also useful, but a bit of a hassle, is to look at each state's state-park website.

Public lands (state and federal) are generally cheep but not free. And the "anual interagency parks pass" only counts for entrance fees, not camping.