PDA

View Full Version : So today my drill kicked my ass

backwithabang
04-01-2012, 5:43 PM
Drilling a quick hole in my frame with my cordless dewalt and the bit stuck, drill flew out of my hand and 18.4 volts of battery spun around at the highest torque setting and popped me in the eye. I actually staggered back and said "dude none of the fuckers even work right now" to the imaginary man with a wrench whom I thought hit me in my garage.

Definitely my lamest moment I thought I'd share to the delight of all of you

Detale
04-01-2012, 5:48 PM
That sucks man. I've had drills stick and hurt my wrist before many times but never in the eye. Are you hurt bad or what?

backwithabang
04-01-2012, 5:52 PM
Just a nasty shiner, a golf ball on my cheek bone and a shitload of humiliation

Detale
04-01-2012, 5:53 PM
At least it was cordless. Could have been worse if it were a regular drill bud.

backwithabang
04-01-2012, 6:07 PM
Very true my 1/2 horse could have ripped my face off

NHMike
04-01-2012, 6:11 PM
Got knocked out once while doing electrical work. Was using a "Hole Hawg" to drill 1" holes through 2x4's, same thing happened.

TimB1640
04-01-2012, 6:44 PM
so i bet you got one hell of a shiner!

mrkil
04-01-2012, 6:48 PM
I had a 1/8" bit snap and go through my finger nail. There is something to be said for vices

Incrediblah
04-01-2012, 6:50 PM
That sucks. I've jacked up my wrist doing that too. Worse, was when my shirt got caught in the angle grinder. Thankfully it was a sanding disc and not a cut off wheel. Shit scraped across my whole torso. Ha

livingdeadmc
04-01-2012, 6:51 PM
A buddy was mounting dash speakers in a car we were working on in our shop...drill caught, spun around and blew out the windshield FTW!

thatstupidkydd
04-01-2012, 7:40 PM
i was building a cabinet in high school and had a table saw kick back and hit me in the gut...it's a good thing i'm not taller otherwise i might have lost a nut

motorlou
04-01-2012, 11:17 PM
this thread is worthless without pictures of your shiners guys!

DieselDanny
04-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Chopping a rusty muffler off my old F-250 with a Sawzall. blade bent then stuck. I got throat punched by the fucking handle. It wasn't all bad though. My roommate got a laugh out of it.

MercuryMoto67
04-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Man this thread makes me laugh. Ive been stuck in the gut by a hole hawg drill. the thing grabbed the piece of tubing i was notching and WHACK! lifted one of my feet off the ground and knocked my air out! hahahaha.

backwithabang
04-02-2012, 5:54 AM
A friend of mine took that same drill I did to the head. He was pulling his recently acquired in my garage front brake sucked so he jammed his right foot automatically (but it was a right side shift) he panics and just crashes into the wall. Drops the bike and the drill falls off the shelf and on to his head just to add more insult to a bad situation

blackout
04-02-2012, 6:18 AM
need to sharpen your bits man.lol i have never been hit by a drill i did do a full over the head swing with a 8lb sleg to the shin. i tell you man is sooner get kicked in the nut than do that again. i was sure i broke my leg. blacked out woke up and went back to work. that day sucked.

backwithabang
04-02-2012, 6:34 AM
There is no bit of the gods. I tried harbor Freight and I tried a titanium 200 dollar set. Only difference was that the expensive set started better

Bonsai
04-02-2012, 7:17 AM
Got knocked out once while doing electrical work. Was using a "Hole Hawg" to drill 1" holes through 2x4's, same thing happened.

Yup... got knocked off a ladder by one of those and gashed the F!@#$% out of my forehead- have a Harry Potter scar from it.

Guy I was working with called me a pussy - "There's a clutch in that thing- it couldn't have spun you!" 6 seconds later he's on his ass too...

Bobberchopped
04-02-2012, 7:42 AM
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/ZRims/rofl_mini.gif

sorry dude, i spit coffee on my keyboard when i read this.

jackin1
04-02-2012, 7:56 AM
I have been fucked up by tools more than once...... The trick is not to tell the wrong guys, there for you would never live it down.

Minimalist
04-02-2012, 8:36 AM
need to sharpen your bits man.lol

Actually a good sharp one has a better chance a catching.

bonesxl1100
04-02-2012, 8:41 AM
I was changing the alternator on my brothers expedition a couple of weeks ago. Had him with the breaker bar holding down the spring loaded pully as I slipped the belt back on. Yup, you guessed it, dickhead brother of mine slipped and the breaker bar broke my head. That sucked.

blackout
04-02-2012, 9:15 AM
Actually a good sharp one has a better chance a catching.

the key with a sharp bit is to go slow. some bits need to go slower to cut right the faster you go the worse it cuts. i have some 1/4 bits for poping a hole in spot welds and if you go to fast it wont work for shit.

m1keyb
04-02-2012, 9:22 AM
Are you just gonna take that man?! Hit it back!

Pendulum
04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I was drilling through the handle on a pair of pliers once, so I could tie them to the wire rack in the shop since they could never stay put and I got tired of hunting them down. Made it through the soft rubber with ease, but when the bit hit the metal handle it shot sideways. The drill bit ended up about 1/4" into my index finger. That was good times.

Another time, same shop, the little "T handle" for the table saw was missing (notice a theme here?) and I was in a huge rush, so my dumb ass figured I'd just push this sheet of MDF all the way through by hand. I knew it was gonna kick back, it always did. On the last 1/2" of the cut, the board kicked back and my right hand went right into the blade. Lucky doesn't even describe how I felt. Lost a good chunk out of my right thumb and shaved my right index finger to the bone from the tip to past the 1st knuckle.

I've sprained my wrist with drills and hole saws, too.

chrmingman
04-02-2012, 11:14 AM

I have done that before while drilling a 5' x 5' j-box whille using a corded milwaukee with uni-bit. Then that thing grabbed smacked me right in the face and twisted my wrist. lucky for me am dark skinned hahha no one could see my bruise on my face.

Mucksavage
04-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I had a drill bit snap while drilling a metal gate. the still spinning bit went into my left index finger at the second nuckle. That side of my finger, from entry wound to tip, is still kinda tingly, half numb 3 years later.

backwithabang
04-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I have had a few bikes I called "rainmakers". When you snap a bit off and it falls into the abyss of your inner frame. They just have to go shortly after that. Rattling like an Indian rain stick at idle. Sucks

ThePete
04-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Last good bite I got from a drill was on a press, I was being lazy (and dumb) and didn't clamp the piece of metal down before starting in on it, as luck would have it the fucker bound up and the only sharp edge on the piece of metal found its way through my glove and into my index finger. Had to get it stitched up which isn't a big deal but when the Dr. said that this was going to hurt like shit when he went to numb it and it didn't I knew that I'd done some nerve damage. He wasn't lying because when it came time to numb below the cut I just about went through the roof.

For hand drills I'm kind of fortunate, I can use either hand to drill so I always have it set up so that if it binds up it will spin out of my hand and not into it. Its only happened a couple times but all it takes is once going the wrong way with a strong drill and it smarts (I use an old late 60's early 70's Craftsman variable speed and that shit will fuck you up if you don't respect it)

ibuiltmine
04-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Chopping a rusty muffler off my old F-250 with a Sawzall. blade bent then stuck. I got throat punched by the fucking handle. It wasn't all bad though. My roommate got a laugh out of it.

I have had that happen on a damn sawzall. cutting through a frame and at the last bit it pinches because that factory junk is always under tension....

ibuiltmine
04-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I was drilling through the handle on a pair of pliers once, so I could tie them to the wire rack in the shop since they could never stay put and I got tired of hunting them down. Made it through the soft rubber with ease, but when the bit hit the metal handle it shot sideways. The drill bit ended up about 1/4" into my index finger. That was good times.

Holy shit! I have done the exact same thing! a pair of side cutters at the wire rack, only it just barely caught my finger. Tore a chunk of meat out, but just out of the side. The thanks you get for trying to be the good guy in the shop, huh?

backwithabang
04-02-2012, 1:58 PM
I have had that happen on a damn sawzall. cutting through a frame and at the last bit it pinches because that factory junk is always under tension....

I was cutting an xs650 in half and it just dropped on me. I think the frame was cracked a little I just dropped the saw when I saw the back end start to droop and it destroyed my sawzall but I saved fingers and hand

Pendulum
04-02-2012, 1:59 PM
Holy shit! I have done the exact same thing! a pair of side cutters at the wire rack, only it just barely caught my finger. Tore a chunk of meat out, but just out of the side. The thanks you get for trying to be the good guy in the shop, huh?

Well now I don't feel quite as stupid. I wasn't even trying to be the good guy, though. I just got tired of hunting the wire cutters down lol.

My left index finger still has a bump on the knuckle from where the bit almost poked through. It went in at an angle, and almost came out the top of my knuckle. I put the drill in reverse and slowly backed it up... I could feel it grinding against the bone. That shit SUCKED!

ibuiltmine
04-02-2012, 2:08 PM
Well now I don't feel quite as stupid. I wasn't even trying to be the good guy, though. I just got tired of hunting the wire cutters down lol.

My left index finger still has a bump on the knuckle from where the bit almost poked through. It went in at an angle, and almost came out the top of my knuckle. I put the drill in reverse and slowly backed it up... I could feel it grinding against the bone. That shit SUCKED!

Im a big health and safety guy. always preaching to everyone about distractions, eyes on subject, line of fire and crap like that.... Made me feel even more like an idiot.

nmaineron
04-04-2012, 11:48 AM
You work with tools all your life and you will have stories like this to tell.I was drilling a piece of wood that I had in my hand instead of on the bench..drill went through the piece and caught my wedding band which grabbed the bit even worse.Tore up my finger and had to cut my ring off.things like welding slag down the shirt and holes in your body from trying to use a screwdriver as a pry bar not to mention all the times drilling holes with a hole saw and a 1/2" drill and have it fetch up and wrap your arm and wrist into a pretzel!

highwayhooligan
04-07-2012, 10:46 PM
That sucks. I've jacked up my wrist doing that too. Worse, was when my shirt got caught in the angle grinder. Thankfully it was a sanding disc and not a cut off wheel. Shit scraped across my whole torso. Ha

I had that shit happen with a wire wheel. Not pretty at all.

highwayhooligan
04-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I've been pretty lucky for the most part. The worst accident I've had (in the shop) was slipping and shoving a piece of .45 mig welding wire about an inch into my hand. It went into the right upper part of my palm, near my pinky at just the perfect angle. I punctured the tendon... I still can't make a completely closed fist.

poonslammer
04-07-2012, 11:18 PM

same thing happened to me except i was using a cut off wheel. right when i got thru and it caught, the whole thing disintegrated, scared the shit outta me.

how about i was trying to flatten out a piece of 3/8 plate at school with an 8lb sledge hammer but the handle is just a steel pipe welded onto the head of the hammer. i swing that bitch over my head and bring it down like I'm fucking thor, but the end of the handle i was holding onto hit me in the knee i dropped to the ground ha i could hardly put any weight on that bitch the rest of the day

Mollard
05-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Fuck sakes man, you have bad luck.....

ThePete
05-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Damnit people, learn how to hold a drill so when it decides it wants to teach you a lesson the worst thing it does is pull itself out of your hand.

Not that I'm not guilty of torquing the hell out of my wrist, but all it takes is one good turn, the cord wrapping around your hand/arm so you can't let go and well I'm sure you know snap crackle pop doesn't mean breakfast time.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/08/article-1218927-06BB9062000005DC-931_468x406.jpg
(not from drill just to emphasize a point)

Sent from your prison purse.

desertw0lf
05-15-2012, 4:52 AM
Was cutting a mahogany billet for a custom guitar, and had a bandsaw blade decide it wanted to escape, snapped and a secion of it hit managed to get lodged in my upper arm as I turned to the side in reaction. Pulling it out was the worst, cause it didn't hurt until then.:banghead:

Had a large rifle primer pop in my autoprime while reloading ammo, blowing the thing apart. Needed new pants, sharp plastic bits everywhere.

Only other bad one was using a drill with a 3/8" rod chucked into it to wrap stainless wire to make chainmail links, wire slipped and wrapped around my wrist and forearm pretty quick. Not fun at all and hurt like shit.

evilroy55
05-15-2012, 6:42 AM
as i was coming to on the floor i realized that the power was on

Rubman
05-15-2012, 8:06 AM
Holy shit.. This thread.

When I was in middle school i was cutting my hedges with the electric trimmer. My old man has a bad back, so when it comes to stepping on a ladder, i was a little more agile than him. He didn't want to let me do it, but I told him that i was big enough to do the job right.

well i step up on the ladder and start cutting away, everything is going smoothly. every now and again i clear some of the shit out of the blades, just to make sure it keeps cutting alright. about 15 minutes in i go to clear some of the shit from the blade when the ladder decides it's going to shift (the ground was a little soft, i guess?) anyway, i panicked, hit the button, and tore up two of my fingers REAL good.

my dad starts freaking out because i'm bleeding everywhere, meanwhile i don't think i've ever been so quiet in my life. I was just like, "oh, this is not good, this is NOT good."

we sped off to the hospital to get my shit stitched up. blade took me right down to the bone. i sat in the ER two hours waiting for a doctor.

Here's the kicker:

when I got stitched up, there was no actual cut. it was just a jumbled mess of torn of flesh. So the doctor was doing her best to stitch it up, but there really was no actual way to go about the mess. and in order to get in there, she stick me with those needles that numbs your shit up, and had to strap my fingers down because i guess the stuff she used to numb them also accidentally made them curl up? anyway, she's stitching along, and when she finishes, she realizes that she left a little piece of meat/tendon/vein/whatever sticking out.. my dad and i see it and start looking at it, and before we can comment she takes the needles and just jabs it into my finger, pressing the meat/whatever back inside my finger. i remember looking at my dad and him saying, "holy shit - did you feel that?" i didn't feel squeamish throughout the entire ordeal, but right then and there i almost lost my fuckin cookies.

whatever. kept me from holding a pen for 2 weeks. and in 8th grade, that's a major victory :D:cheersmate:

derekd403
05-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Was chopping onions at work w a freshly sharpened 10" chefs knife, the bevel on the knife wasn't as straight as it should have been and came through the onion on an angle and slashed off part of my thumb :( that's all I got, I don't get to use the cool tools :(

derekd403
05-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Also had 375 degree grease cutter gel splash on top of my hand while cleaning a grill and it ate through my gloves and burned the skin on the top of my 4 fingers. I would rather wish death upon myself than have that happen again

pirate2876
05-15-2012, 11:37 AM
In 12th grade I was in auto shop class trying to take a pry bar out of cars wheel well that was up on the lift. The bar was stuck and no one could get it out. As I was pulling the pry bar my feet slipped out from under me and send me to the ground with the bar close behind me. Luckily it hit the ground before it hit me and saved my dome from a good bashing. Had a nice welt on my backside of my head though. I got the pry bar out at least...