PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a Crew that helps out? Builders, Welders, etc.

bonesxl1100
04-01-2012, 8:21 AM
How many of you guys have a crew that help each other out building? You know, someone is a fabricator, someone is a welder, someone is a painter, a motor guy, etc....? I really wish I had something like that. I've got a couple friends thatll help wrench on our bikes but when it comes the specialty things like above, I'm stuck. Like right now I could really use a welder but none of my friends are. I hate that I have to pay for the service which I can't right now cause I'm flat fucking broke so my build is just sitting there waiting. I'd like to pick up a welder and teach myself but as I am broke, thall be a while too. Just venting I guess. My area sucks for garage builders and the like. All stockers around here.

ridemore16
04-01-2012, 9:11 AM
I'm part of a crew that is fortunate enough to center around a shop, Garage Co. Customs here in Alabama. Larry tackles our fabricating projects that are out of our range. The rest of us help each other with projects within our skill set. I think it's what makes riding custom motorcycles great, that sense of helping like minded riders!

purerockfury
04-01-2012, 9:29 AM
i don't have a crew per say but i do have friends that are knowledgeable in different area's except paint! i need to find a painter to buddy up with! i'd like to do more than just spry bombs on my newest build and may just end up tackling all myself although my brother does know a little bit i'd like to find someone to guide my threw a real nice paint job...

probably one person has helped me out the most and that's tigman he's a local frame/fab/welder guy that happens to be a friend of mine although i do pay him seeing how that is how he makes a living, i wouldn't feel right not throwing him something but he does give me lots of free advice in that area. i just bought a welder a few months ago so on this bike i've done all the welding myself except the frame itself, left that to a pro seeing how my life depends on it. before ( on my last bike) i use to have to fab stuff up and bring it to him to weld up for me so things went a lot slower, i know your frustration there...

mechanically i'm pretty good, i've been working on cars and bikes my whole life. i am going to have a friend guide me threw the top end on my sporty but plan on doing it myself with him watching over me, only cause he's done a bunch of them and spending loot on something just to see it blow up because i missed or forgot some stupid little thing would suck ass.

i like doing everything myself or as much as possible. A i have total control of how things go and what they look like and B i have no one to blame but myself if things get fucked up!..lol

LEGACYTATTOO701
04-01-2012, 9:49 AM
I'm lucky enough I can trade tats for work or parts!

jackin1
04-01-2012, 10:35 AM
It sucks living in a area where there is not much custom building going on. There is a few guys that are pretty good... But they all think they are nazis or something, and I dont have time for that stupid shit... I hope that one day there will be some chopper heads to have something like that . It would make builds go alot faster.

Bandersnatch
04-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I got a buddy that can weld pretty decent and is big into trades.

I got another buddy who works at a steel distribution center for free scrap plates of the heavy gauge and a access to a laser cutter. So I can just cut out a shape of poster board I need cut out of steel and he can have it programmed into the computer and cut out to scale on a plate of steel.

Another bro who works in maintenance at the factory next door to where I work who has access to a lathe and a mill etc currently milling up a custom backing plate for my dual carb setup. He also has a gnarly collection of "specialty" tools that he would let me borrow cuz I make a point to promptly return them.

Another buddy who has a trailer he's willing to lend out, and a few dudes that would come pick me up if I was stranded.

I'm the "mechanical" one with plenty of parts and tools but I think my biggest asset to the network is that when I am laid off I have plenty of TIME. Time to go check out that bike on CL. Time to help load up the basket case. Time to get that non runner he picked up up and running. I do polishing and fabrication. I am also working on getting my hands into the chrome/anodizing/powdercoat game cuz a guy I know is looking for some investment opportunities in that kind of equipment.

It's also important to be that guy willing to help your bro out in a pinch. I'm willing to drive all over the state cuz I know they'd do it for me. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's definitely brotherhood.

pushachopperthanrideastocker
04-01-2012, 1:45 PM
I hang out with a bunch of rodders,I'm the lone chopper freak. Just Friday I had a flat on the scooter and called my friend at his shop. We usta be in business together buildin' cars,hell he hauls me an the bike to his shop instead of home, I was riding in the enclosed trailer(didn't bring the straps). He's got all the stuff,I weld and fabricate.He usta drag race so is pretty good with motors.Nother friend is a retired machinest and is a real perfectionist.About 5 of us total,we'll do Friday lunch and go to a cruise on Saturday in the hot rods.

TyroninFXR
04-01-2012, 6:36 PM
I'm in a tightknit crew, but only a few of us ride. I'm trying to organize a riding crew out of my crew brothers that ride. If we can spend half as much time working on our bikes as we do drinking and partying, we'd have some sweet rides.

BIGHYDRO
04-01-2012, 10:38 PM
lol... crew

Jeffy
04-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Too bad you up north a little bit. I am the crew here in so.md. for me and my buds. I got the wrench experience and welding/fab experience. We got aother friend same skills and then some but lives out in dulles. Finally gettin the other guys ready to learn more. They have wrench time from car days past but not a lot of motivation.

cros36
04-02-2012, 7:30 AM
find a school around you that offers something that you need and take a class or two.

im almost done with welding at the welding program by me. one of my teachers is now one of my best friends (only friend really). i go to his house and play around on his lathes and torches and shit whenever i want. met some other people thru him as well.

bonesxl1100
04-02-2012, 7:53 AM
find a school around you that offers something that you need and take a class or two.

im almost done with welding at the welding program by me. one of my teachers is now one of my best friends (only friend really). i go to his house and play around on his lathes and torches and shit whenever i want. met some other people thru him as well.

Yeah there's a vo-tech that has welding courses by me but I don't have the dough. One of these days I'll take one and buy a mig.

jstein
04-02-2012, 9:12 AM
I wish all the time that I had a group of friends that were even somewhat interested in bikes. I live next door to my dad and he can fix pretty much anything he puts his hands on but as far as fabrication and welding goes I'm on my own. Its also nice to be able to have a group of dudes that will just hang out,drink booze and talk bikes in the garage.

ThePete
04-02-2012, 9:46 AM
I'm sure that they are around seeing I live in Biltwells back yard, I'm just too busy most of the time go to the local hang outs and stuff to meet people, and the last few runs I've missed due to work commitments, family commitments or just plain crappy timing. There are a couple guys at work that ride but one was some wanna be 81 type that thinks every dyna out there needs to be made into a club bike and the other is turning his soft tail into a bagger, bat wing and everything. The one person I really trust to wrench or do fab work with is all the way out in Colorado so it's not like I can just motor on over real quick but we trade info and sometimes I'll hook him up with something and vice versa.

Anvil
04-04-2012, 5:15 PM
Yeah there's a vo-tech that has welding courses by me but I don't have the dough. One of these days I'll take one and buy a mig.

Have you looked into Vocational Rehab Assistance?

There are several programs available if you are unemployed through each state.

GOOGLE IT! You might find out that the local vo-tech may even know how to get you in on one of these programs. And skip the mig all together Go tig or nothing! cost a little more on the front end but you can do Sooo much more with it!

UncleMonkey
04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
I use to have a crew - paint, leather, frames, etc but we just drifted apart over the last couple of years. :(

Ask around, ask about prices, shop around. There are cheap welding shops If you live near to a trade school they are always looking for projects, usually you only have to pay for parts (engine rebuilds, painting, etc). They should have welding programs and should be able to fix you for cheap. After trade schools come high school IA programs.

The only time I don't go for the cheapest guy around is when I comes to engine rebuilds. I rather put the paperwork through a shop for warranty reasons. I usually don't keep bikes long after I'm finish building them so it sounds better that ABC Motorcycle Shop rebuilt the motor then me and my buddies did while drinking beers.:cheersmate: