PDA

View Full Version : how to relocate start button? (01 sporty)

1dreamer
12-12-2009, 2:36 AM
ok, im getting rid of the handlebar switches. can anyone tell me or even better show me some pics of the best way to move the start button. i dont run signals or front brake and ive got the throttle figured out, i just need some help relocating the start switch.

xllance
12-12-2009, 6:01 AM
Not taking the time to check into it right now but I've seen a starter button that atttches right on the end of your stater or something of that nature. seems kinda inconveineint to me, I could see an issue with being in a hell of a bind if the thing was in gear. Hell mount it anywhere you want, they make a marine switch that is set up to turn all the way over to activate the boat motor choke, just wire the starter to engage instead. When you release the key it's just in the on position. Least that's how I understand it.

TOOL
12-12-2009, 6:35 AM
I used this thread from the xlforum and a manual...real easy to do. Just get a push button from napa.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=453962

1dreamer
12-12-2009, 2:55 PM
thanks for the help. TOOL, can you post up some pics of your work and how you did it? thanks for the link man.

svwannabe
12-12-2009, 3:29 PM
Here is a shot of what i did, starter button up top with the kill switch below that and the empty hole is where my lock cylinder is gonna go. The starter button and kill switch are from autozone. The only thing you have to do is move your ignition module from behind there to another spot, i moved mine up under my seat. Then you just have to chop the mount where the ignition module use to sit. Its pretty easy to do just make have the manual with the wiring diagram and you're golden

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m291/svwannabe/2009_1212ign0002.jpg

TOOL
12-12-2009, 4:03 PM
I went the same route as svwannabe....except no killswitch. If I remember correctly I spliced the two killswitch wires together and attached them to one side of the push button. On the other side of the push button I attached the original starter button wire. This eliminated the killswitch so I just use the key.

1JUNKMANWV
12-12-2009, 4:47 PM
0n my dyna i used the factory kill switch and starter, i just removed them from the housing and put then in a nice discreet place. then used the factory connectors minus shit i didnt need rewired the harness and pluged it back up. i did the same with the headlight switch. the switches are weater proof and dont take much space outside of the housing. plus you already got them, use what you got.

rustrocket84
12-12-2009, 6:25 PM
any momentary type switch will work for the starter, whether it is a push button, toggle, or rocker like the stock switch. Just make sure that they are momentary type switches and you're golden. I like how TOOL has his set up. zeroengineering has a really small one that will mount onto your bars, it's just a lot of money for a couple of switches though.

1dreamer
12-13-2009, 3:42 AM
when i move the switches back by the seat like that is there a pain in the ass w/ the wiring length or harness? what did you guys do?

TOOL
12-13-2009, 6:50 AM
I was lazy and extended the harness down.....you can see the new wires just above the battery in that pic.

dirtyhippy
12-13-2009, 9:46 AM
if your pipes arent in the way,a manual starter end switch,clean and takes all of a min to install

northeasteric
12-13-2009, 10:22 PM
the bolt-on solenoid button eliminates wiring a starter switch elsewhere on the bike. just don't ever push the button in while your bike is running... that'd be pretty shitty.

billdozer
12-14-2009, 12:41 AM
$17 on eBay, used 'em for years, not inconvenient unless your pipes are in the way. Eliminates needless wires, etc. Just need a switch to turn ignition "On" and then push the button. Super easy.

JohnnyWolf
12-14-2009, 1:04 AM
$17 on eBay, used 'em for years, not inconvenient unless your pipes are in the way. Eliminates needless wires, etc. Just need a switch to turn ignition "On" and then push the button. Super easy.

Yep that's what I used.

1dreamer
12-14-2009, 1:50 PM

thanx for that i didnt know there was a bolt on part like that. i hopped on ebay and there was a whole list of em.

REV
12-14-2009, 5:03 PM

those go on an 09 by chance? been looking into the same thing, but wasnt sure.

JaySco
12-14-2009, 5:23 PM
Thats what I used too, I got a black one from JPcycles, the chrome was just too flashy for me.

Pantsbeer
12-18-2009, 2:50 AM
This is what I used. I got it from Napa for about 5 bucks. I haved off the back part of my frame and put the button there. It's out of the way and something a little different.

billdozer
12-19-2009, 8:34 PM
That's a cool idea pants. Gotta plug that hole with something, might as well be useful!

steffan
12-26-2009, 7:07 PM
im with deadman13. does that work on an 07?

Pantsbeer
12-29-2009, 1:59 AM
That's a cool idea pants. Gotta plug that hole with something, might as well be useful!

Thanks Bill. I originally made removable plugs to put in there but then I found that button and it fit pretty good. My brother rigged it a little to make it fit tight in there. I thought it was something a little different. It's a little pain in the ass is your bike dies on a green light but other than that it functions pretty good.