PDA

View Full Version : CB550 hardtail

crkhobbit
12-11-2009, 8:23 AM
Where to get one and what to expect for costs? I've seen them for a 750, but not a 550. Or a good shop that will hardtail mine that is near Cincinnati?

P.S. I don't have a welder.

HWC
12-11-2009, 3:47 PM
ive built several of them, im in Va ,, if u cant find someone closer
heres one i did
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/hillbilly750/cb550%20hardtail/090109084100.jpg

gimme a yell
hwchillbilly13@yahoo.com

bigdaddy
12-11-2009, 8:01 PM
ardcore choppers is in indy. i think the guy's name is jon ard. they said they'd hardtail my rd for around 500. i've not personally seen their work, but they have some pretty rad xs stuff. i know they do other stuff too. it's a few hours from cincy, but that's not too bad. not sure how much you're looking to spend. also, tc bros. might be able to make something work. they're out of ohio, but i'm assuming you've seen their stuff. i think they've got a pretty rad 750 setup. they might be able to make something for a 550. i know of a small shop just north of indy that specializes in jap builds. i'll check with them. i know they don't have a website, and i don't have the contact info yet. i'll see what i can dig up for you.

crkhobbit
12-11-2009, 9:36 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I've got a little bit before I'll need to make a decision. I've got some logistics and whatnot that I gotta work out.

HWC
12-12-2009, 3:14 PM
cool,,lemme know
the one pictured above was $350 plus $47 for the Biltwell seat hinge..
shipping fedex ground to washington state was around $100,,so to Cinci,oh wont hit you too bad

bigdaddy
12-12-2009, 7:18 PM
hey hwc, i'm still looking to hardatail my rd, but i want to run a wider tire/wheel on the back (nothing too big, just not skinny like the one that came on it...looks like a bicycle tire). i've got an older kz750b wheel that i'm in love with, but the rear sprocket is of course farther out than the original. do i need to run a jackshaft for the new wheel, or can i put a different front sprocket on the tranny? i've heard that when you do this to accommodate a wider tire that it's really hard on the tranny. i don't think it is drastically different, but i know they won't line up perfectly. i know that some guys just move their tranny over, but this is a jap bike with the one piece motor/tranny. as you can tell, this is my first attempt at a chop, and i have a lot to learn.

philbey
12-13-2009, 6:56 PM
I reckon TC do a universal hardtail kit that you get a bunch of preformed gear and axle plates etc and you zap it on as you please.

cl175dave
12-14-2009, 1:17 AM
You may have to send your frame to someone or buy a frame on ebay. I believe there were bolt on hardtails available back in the 70's, but welding would be my choice.

turtle
01-21-2010, 3:13 PM
take it to the nearest community college and they will weld it up for free for the experience. and the teacher will make sure it's right