PDA

View Full Version : BSA Amal 930 alternative Keihin 30?

BritNoob
12-09-2009, 8:20 PM
Hey guys, I am working on this BSA and am wondering about these carbs? This is the write up I found on eBay about them and wanted to know if anyone is running these and what you can tell me about em.

++++ Write up below +++++
These are a direct replacement for Amal 30mm - 930 or all 900 series concentric carburetors on Triumph, Norton, BSA, and other British motorcycles.These carbs will accept your stock Norton, Triumph, or BSA cables, and stock air filters that use the threaded removable insert, or later Air box applications.

These will fit a standard flange mount manifold with a hole spacing of 2" on center. The flange can be removed for spigot type mounting such as Later OIF Triumph. Spigot OD is 34mm, carb total depth is 82mm, and the height is 5" minus cable adjuster. The air intake is 48mm OD. This will fit where any Amal 930 Concentric or Monoblock is installed.

These PWK 30 mm 30Js have gone through strenuous and extensive testing and development to bring you an alternative, to the poor design and wear of the Amal, and the costly price of the Mikuni. This carb uses a chrome flat slide for longer wear life and consistent metering.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

thanks in advance!
Brian

Torch
12-09-2009, 10:56 PM
What we have found is those PWK carbs perform well under normal conditions but under hard acceleration the float valve or the the inlet size does not allow gas to replenish the bowl fast enough and the bike runs out of gas.
my favorite carb is the old Amal.

BritNoob
12-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I may just not be setting up the Amals well then. It seems I have read every pointer on the net about setting them up. I just did a rebuild on both (they were in very bad shape from 10 year old gas solidified in the bowls). Always looking for some thoughts. I was considering the others due to people say they are so easy to setup. Almost to the point of bolt on and ride.

Torch
12-10-2009, 9:47 AM
the most important thing about Amals is to make sure you clean out the pilot circuit, this is not simple to do. it has two parts. the first part is to remove the pilot mixture jet and shoot carb cleaner in there until you see it coming out of the two little holes in the inside center of the carb. the second part is to take the carb hold it upside down and shoot carb cleaner into the small hole next to the float valve hole, do this until carb cleaner comes out of the pilot jet hole, then replace the pilot jet but don't screw it all the way down, leave it 1.5 turns out from the bottom. spray more carb cleaner into the small hole on the bottom until you see it coming out of the two little holes in the inside center of the carb. the last thing you do is take carb cleaner and shoot into the little hole next to the main air intake at the mouth of the carb, where you serew the air cleaner on. you shoud also see it come out of the two little holes inside the center of the carb. put the carb on the bike and fire it up.

TRUMPNUT
12-10-2009, 7:47 PM
PKW suck I have had the flanges come off while riding .

Go through your AMALS like Torch said the idle circuit is not easy to clean and doesn't clean just by soaking in cleaner all the time . Somtimes you have to remove the plug and I have even had to drill out the pilot bush before

soca750
12-10-2009, 8:19 PM
ive seen the PWK's prove to be a reliable carb for the average daily rider. yeah, the amal's might look better - but if your looking for dependability...PWK all the way.

framus
12-11-2009, 10:58 AM
To be honest, I'd just run Mikunis. They're proven performers and all of the guesswork is completely worked out for you (jets, manifolds, throttle cables, etc...). We only use Mikunis in all of our carb kits for a reason, ya know?

Torch
12-11-2009, 3:50 PM
To be honest, I'd just run Mikunis. They're proven performers and all of the guesswork is completely worked out for you (jets, manifolds, throttle cables, etc...). We only use Mikunis in all of our carb kits for a reason, ya know?

I don't wanna to start another endless debate on the Mikuni / Amal carb thing.
.My 2 cents worth is.... Mikuni's are good carbs, you can tune the shit out of them. they idle well, they run at redline well, the bad news is the look like rolled up balls of dog shit and they rob all the low RPM torq from the British twins, the float valves stick when the bike is on the side standand they fill the engine up with gas, the intermediate jets allways plug up.
Putting a Jap carb on a British Bike is like putting whitewall tires on a Porsche, they'll work, but it's gonna look like shit.
I've got a whole pile of Mikuni's here at the shop that I've taken off bikes and put the on correct carbs.
15 years or so ago they started re-producing Amals to replace the worn out ones, now there is no good reason the hang Jap shit on a prefectly good British bike bike.
I ride my bikes on the streets, I want them to look good, sound good and run reasonably well, if all I did was ride wide open down a black line at Bonniville I might put a Mikuni on them.

( I am working on my anger issues with my therapist )

framus
12-14-2009, 8:20 AM
You do know that the 356 had whitewalls, right?

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/08/porsche356.jpg

Just sayin. :D

Not to get into another debate but the only time I've ever heard of a Mikuni robbing "all" of the lowend torque is when it either doesn't have the right slide or the jetting isn't right. A lot of folks just think they can buy a VM30 or VM32 and just slap them on with great results. From the factory, the mains are HUGE...much larger than anything but a really nasty twin can handle, hence the reason why we completely re-do the needle jet, jet needle, pilot, main and often the slide in our kits.

I like Amals for their appearance and retro-flair but it gets to be a PITA to deal with them after a while...and I've got parts beyond parts for 'em on the shelves.

Torch
12-14-2009, 8:42 AM
You do know that the 356 had whitewalls, right?

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/08/porsche356.jpg

Just sayin. :D

Not to get into another debate but the only time I've ever heard of a Mikuni robbing "all" of the lowend torque is when it either doesn't have the right slide or the jetting isn't right. A lot of folks just think they can buy a VM30 or VM32 and just slap them on with great results. From the factory, the mains are HUGE...much larger than anything but a really nasty twin can handle, hence the reason why we completely re-do the needle jet, jet needle, pilot, main and often the slide in our kits.

I like Amals for their appearance and retro-flair but it gets to be a PITA to deal with them after a while...and I've got parts beyond parts for 'em on the shelves.
So you would put Mikuni's on the 356 too... Right?

framus
12-14-2009, 8:48 AM
Too and no.

I'd put a 911 Turbo 3.6 mill in it and keep it looking just like that just to piss off the purists.

Torch
12-14-2009, 9:10 AM
Too and no.

I'd put a 911 Turbo 3.6 mill in it and keep it looking just like that just to piss off the purists.

and you would.

framus
12-14-2009, 9:21 AM
and you would.

And have this as a daily driver: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/26/video-vintage-vw-bug-with-subaru-sti-power-is-a-hybrid-we-can-get-exc/

Torch
12-14-2009, 9:34 AM
And have this as a daily driver: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/26/video-vintage-vw-bug-with-subaru-sti-power-is-a-hybrid-we-can-get-exc/
That is a cool VW.
I had a street legal Bug back in the 70's that had a 440 wedge motor on a ex fuel altered chassis. that did low 10's.
But I wish I had restored Empi equipped 67 now. I guess my tastes have changed.

Fox
08-22-2013, 5:39 AM
Anyone have any advice how to modify the Amal Mrk 1's so they fit onto the inlet ports of a modern triumph bonneville engine? There is a flange on the Amals is there a kit to bolt on to the inlet ports of the engine?

hillbillydeluxe
08-22-2013, 9:27 AM
I am running a PKW on my 650. Only trouble I"ve had is that the stock air cleaner will not fit unless you force it on. Also running an old Monobloc on my 45 trike. After a very thorough cleaning, it starts first or second kick and idles very well.

TRUMPNUT
08-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Anyone have any advice how to modify the Amal Mrk 1's so they fit onto the inlet ports of a modern triumph bonneville engine? There is a flange on the Amals is there a kit to bolt on to the inlet ports of the engine?

Coming soon .

Pete60
08-23-2013, 10:05 PM
What we have found is those PWK carbs perform well under normal conditions but under hard acceleration the float valve or the the inlet size does not allow gas to replenish the bowl fast enough and the bike runs out of gas.
my favorite carb is the old Amal.
I've heard this too,and reports of only 170ml/minute (max) flowing throught the float needle.On Amal twin carbs,you should be able to remove both float bowl drain plugs at the same time,turn on the fuel,and get about 300 ml/minute from each carb.That's safe for about 55bhp.
,and not much more.

Concentrics usually work OK if the fuel flow and fuel level in the float bowl are right (fuel level 0.170"-0.240" below top of bowl).
Blocked pilot jets and pilot channels are the only normal problems.A worn slide can give an unstable or too fast idle,but it will still run.
If the jets ,needle and slide cutaway are right,there should be no problem.

'67-'68 jetting didn't work,even in '68,and mostly got changed to the later needle,needle-jet and jet-holder (called Amal Concentric update kit).

Sky
08-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I've been eyeballing a set if Mk 1.5s. Any word on how they run? Slide/jet interchange?

Like, will the premier floats, needles, slides fit/work w/the MK 1.5 bodies and bowls?

Torch
08-24-2013, 9:12 AM
the Amal1.5 carbs use almost all of the same parts as the Amal mark 1's do ......and the enrichener of a Amal mark 2.

This is just my opinion...

it's been my experience that they were just a bad idea, the biggest problem with the mark 2 carbs is always the leaking enrichener seals bleeding into main circuit.

I've never seen a bike with a good working set of Amal mk 1.5 carbs on it.

there is a reason they discontinued making them.

buying used Amal carbs is never a great idea......Typically if a carburetor is any good, it's still on a bike.

Sky
08-24-2013, 10:38 AM
These are listed as new old stock. Thanks for the enricher bleed over warning.

TRUMPNUT
08-24-2013, 11:08 AM
I've heard this too,and reports of only 170ml/minute (max) flowing throught the float needle.On Amal twin carbs,you should be able to remove both float bowl drain plugs at the same time,turn on the fuel,and get about 300 ml/minute from each carb.That's safe for about 55bhp.
,and not much more.

Concentrics usually work OK if the fuel flow and fuel level in the float bowl are right (fuel level 0.170"-0.240" below top of bowl).
Blocked pilot jets and pilot channels are the only normal problems.A worn slide can give an unstable or too fast idle,but it will still run.
If the jets ,needle and slide cutaway are right,there should be no problem.

'67-'68 jetting didn't work,even in '68,and mostly got changed to the later needle,needle-jet and jet-holder (called Amal Concentric update kit).

The 1034 amal flows more fuel then the 900 series . I'm trying to figure which to run the 1000 series is better but they don't make them still so sorcing them is harder the 932 premiers have done fine on the dyno . But since it has to a bolt on kit it must be aimed to novice installer .

Fox
09-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Coming soon .

How are you getting on with these bolts ons Trumpnut

Pete60
09-18-2013, 8:24 PM
Why try to fit a 34mm carb?The intake ports are lucky to flow much more a 27 mm hole can;more specifically,the valve can't flow that much at any normal valve-lift.
With 1/2" valve-lift,you'd get as much flow as a 29 mm round port can flow.