PDA

View Full Version : need some ideas for parts

SleezyRider
03-19-2012, 6:31 PM
Some of you know that I'm getting ready to dump money into my own little shop to start doing fab work- fenders, tanks, oil tanks, struts blah blah, It'll be a few months while i hone and rehone my skills and such, but I have all the time in the world and I'm tired of being bored
What I need from you, scholars and gentleman, What kind of tanks etc would you want. I want to make hard to find stuff a little easier to access. the first of each will be kept, I'll give the second out to you fine folks as I make it so I can get unbiased tests and opinions, and then if its good I'll make more to sell, and if it flops, I don't have too much invested. so thoughts?:cheersmate:

ScooterTrash48
03-19-2012, 6:36 PM
how about a good repop of a wassel tank? Orrrr a nice looking upper motor mount for an xs650?

SleezyRider
03-19-2012, 6:39 PM
how about a good repop of a wassel tank? Orrrr a nice looking upper motor mount for an xs650?
I'll have to get a regular motor mount from one to see what I can do

RIPshitRIOT
03-19-2012, 8:08 PM
I know more than one person looking for a Frisco'd Wassel style tank.

spdmtlrcng
03-19-2012, 8:34 PM
Ditto on the tank my man. I would like an alien style tank, peanut or mooneyes style that carries more than 2.2 gallons of gas. I dunno why but, it seems like somebody would have thought that we like traveling more than 50 miles without refueling. My 3.2 gallon only holds 2.9 (yea, weird huh). Also tanks with fuel sight gauges or "looky loos" already installed.
Of course bars. Frisco bars that can be cut on would be boss.
Dunno man. Just my .2 cents. I will definitely be purchasing whatever your sellin broski.

xllance
03-19-2012, 9:01 PM
XLCH style horseshoe tank. The ones that came on the old mag fired bikes.

thelowlife
03-19-2012, 9:06 PM
Some different style gear change levers and brake levers for the XS.

Top motor mount, right hand suicide shift for the xs650.

SleezyRider
03-19-2012, 9:12 PM
phew, I need to find a cheap xs 650 and figure some of this out...and I need to find a tank to copy haha. this is going to take awhile but I'm pretty sure the suicide shift would be easier than the tanks. buuuut I'm sure I can eventually figure out the tanks. I'm taking a big leap from my comfort zone doing all this... lots of long days

livingdeadmc
03-19-2012, 9:32 PM
Any pics if what you do now?

SleezyRider
03-19-2012, 9:44 PM
I've got a few things...battery box, headlight bucket, a few other small things, but my move cam really sudden so I havent had the time to finish it. Hell, I had to put my bike in the shop because I had no where to work on it. I'll get some pictures up as I finish things.

SleezyRider
03-19-2012, 9:47 PM
oh, and I refuse to swag-jack anyone. if someone on here already carries a bang up product, I won't carry something similiar. I'm lucky enough to have guranteed income and I refuse to take money out of someone elses pocket.

SyndicateChoppers
03-19-2012, 9:51 PM
I have a cool old paugcho tank thats like an alien or egg style shape but it has a slight rib to it in the center
Ive been looking to find another one but no one makes one

if you could re pop them and keep them at a reasonable price Im sure you could sell some

also another idea would be to make up a carb mount for a CV carb to be used on early pre evo bikes

I made one up for my ironhead but it like always sometimes its much easier and faster to buy something thats already made

if you want pics of the tank Im talking about send me a pm
I'll snap a few of the one I have

Detale
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Again I'm glad you're taking the plunge and doing some market research here. I'm not sure what your capabilities or tool set is looking like but I have a few ideas I'll pm you with, wouldn't want you getting jacked before you get a chance.

SleezyRider
03-19-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm decently capable, I'm dropping about 2 grand in the extra tools i need to be able to do all the fab work in house, and I'm scouting out shop space. I've got enough tools to do alot of stuff but I've lost access to the stuff i really need ie plenishing hammer, english wheel, welder, brakes, etc. But thats what the two grand is for. I'm tired of just getting by using a whizzer wheel, and a bench and air grinder and my mitts. I'm getting a mig and tig, trying to get my dad to seperate from his arc welder (wwII badass monstrosity, we made a boat trailer with this thing.) it's def a plunge, but I'm medically retired, 26, i make about 3gs a month from that, and I have too much free time. It's time I devoted myself to something the way I devoted myself to the military. I need this I think.