PDA

View Full Version : cable rear drum....

cros36
03-19-2012, 5:00 PM
im in the process of doing my foot controls. and its a fucking pain in the ass to get the linkages to look good and not be hanging out all stupid looking. whats the protocol on using a cable instead of solid bar and a bunch of pivots. i know they used to do it, but really that doesnt mean much. im running a front brake so there is always that security.

a beefy ass m/c cable would just be soooo much easier.

lay it on me...

BuddhahoodVato
03-19-2012, 7:06 PM
Cable's stretch, no rigidity. it's your booty on the seat, do as you please. rods always worked best for me, but then again all scoots i've had had rods. good luck. plus if your shoes stick, hard to pull it back witha slack cable i would prsume doctor watson.

purerockfury
03-19-2012, 7:30 PM
my iron came with a cable & my brother runs one on his xs with no issues...i know some forward controls come with a cable too

livingdeadmc
03-19-2012, 7:41 PM
Is the rod really being that tuff? I ran a rod on mine and its hidden mostly by the frame....only pivot where it connects to my mids. Looks clean works great. A cable would be cool tho...

cros36
03-20-2012, 6:19 AM
thanks for the comments so far guys

Is the rod really being that tuff? I ran a rod on mine and its hidden mostly by the frame....only pivot where it connects to my mids. Looks clean works great. A cable would be cool tho...

and yes, my controls are inbetween mids and forwards. if they were mids then the controls are behind the engine, and forwards they are in front where the linkage rod can be between the exhaust and the engine. but where i have my feet are right in the middle of the two. so ive been trying to find a way to get the lever arm to swing in between the exhaust and the frame and its making my brain hurt like hell.

i could make it easy on myself and move my feet back or forward, but where there at now seems like it will be the most comfortable. and i could also just make rods and shit hang out in the wind, but i dont want to rush it and hate myself for it later (cosmetically). but im almost to that point. maybe if i had a torch and a lathe i could mess around with shit a little more, but im trying to do as much thinking at home before i take it to my friends house where he gives me free reign over all his sweet tools.

ChopEmUp
03-20-2012, 6:26 AM
If you want something heavy duty, you could use a morse cable like found on many aftermarket racing shifters for cars. They come in different lengths, and are for push/pull use. They also have nice threaded ends that are easily adjustable. I plan on using one on my current build. Just cant put any tight bends in them as it will hinder movement of the cable.