PDA

View Full Version : CB 750 Sparking Plug Wires

revmike
12-08-2009, 1:55 PM
Hey:

I'm re working a 73 CB 750. Added Dyna Coils and it had electronic ignition (Dyna S). I need some plug wires. Any favorites for strong spark? I'm going with NGK Iridium IX 6681 sparking plugs -- DR8EIX

I figure I may fork a little for the wires, so I might as well get some quality. Can I use copper wires with a Dyna S? Do I get any benefit from copper over modern suppression-type wires?

Thanks

~Rev Mike

Rudehog
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
You'll need suppression wires with the elect ign.

revmike
12-08-2009, 11:07 PM
thanks man

dirtyd
12-14-2009, 8:16 AM
Yo, rev Im thinking of going dyna S for a kawi 750 twin build. What are your thoughts on the system, cost versus reliability/ increased functionability (IE no readjusting shit every 75 miles) thanks . And on the S ijnition paperwork it says the type of wires to run, at least on my shovelhead S it did. good luck man.

revmike
12-14-2009, 8:52 AM
Yo, rev Im thinking of going dyna S for a kawi 750 twin build. What are your thoughts on the system, cost versus reliability/ increased functionability (IE no readjusting shit every 75 miles) thanks . And on the S ijnition paperwork it says the type of wires to run, at least on my shovelhead S it did. good luck man.
D:

I haven't owned this rig long and it is destined to be a donor. But this CB 750 was totally beat to fuck and misabused. It has all kinds of weird electrical problems and it has been all I can do to run it just to troubleshoot some of the problems. That said, I couldn't figure out why this 36 year old bike would keep starting in spite of all the issues. I later learned that it had the Dyna S set up in it. I attribute the good with the Dyna S. I'm busy replacing the coils and other system electrics - moving the regulator and rectifier over to a solidstate combined unit and some other shtuff.

So far I think it is a good system. I had an Ironhead that I was going to add one to, but sold it first. Now I wish I would have put the Dyna in it before I decided to sell it, I might still have it.

All that said, I haven't run it enough to give you any good advice for it. Except to say that I'm sure no one has done shit to it or well over 100 miles and prob more in the realm of 5000 miles.

I'm hoping to get everything up this week and I'll PM you with the results from there.

Hope that helps a bit. -- Oh and I got the supression wires. There was no real reason not to and I saw a couple references to suppression wires with the Dyna S even though most parts dealers don't say one way or the other. I trust if rudehog says use the suppression wires, that I don't need to re learn the lessons he's learned already.

~Rev Mike

dirtyd
12-14-2009, 8:58 AM
yup you are right, thats the nice thing about this forum, most have already had the asspain, and share what they have learned. I do believe in the S for shovels, Ive always run em, and the 2000i for the evo's just never have messed with dyna and jappers, although im getting into it !!! thanks again man. If you dont have em I have some diagrams for the cb 350 vintage, skinned down, dont know if that would help on the 750, and give you a hand on shaking out some gremlins. D.

revmike
12-14-2009, 9:35 AM
Actually I have couple cool things. I downloaded the 750 manuals off the web and when I bring them up in Adobe, I can zoom in to parts and then print that part. That helps A LOT with tracing the lines, since at normal resolution it looks like some kind of Celtic knot.

I have two CB 350s that I want to get running this summer. But they have to wait since I'm trying to get daily riders built for the wife and me. Hopefully she'll do most of her own work....

Thanks though, I WILL hit you up for some moral support... And when I get this going I"ll come over to the Big CO and buy you a can of beer on the shakedown...

~Rev Mike

dirtyd
12-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Nice !! I know what you mean about celtic knots, I got a haynes for an old suzuki samurai and I was looking at the wiring diagrams Shit, I had magnafiing glasses and a magnifying glass and could barely make out the wire colors. Oh well, Shit yeah on the Socol Ive got plenty of space tools and cold refreshment, and I'll make sure you eat good too. There is a southern Colorado phenominon out here called a slopper bowl, every motocat Ive known loves em. I got a 350 engine and some doo dads, I was gonna do a 350 cafe bike but got way way too many irons in the fire and not enough presidents in the wallet. If you need it let me know I'd pass it along for a song. Keep the updates coming on the build too. talk to you later rev~

revmike
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Once you hit 40, those magnifying glasses don't work anymore! LOL... I need the power of the computer!

Cool... I know what you mean about the presidents, and all the money in the world doesn't buy the time to work all those irons...

Take care

dirtyd
12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
1962 was my birth year so I do know what you mean man.

revmike
12-14-2009, 10:52 PM
You know it, Jan '62 here as well!