PDA

View Full Version : clutch cable issues

Trevor04
03-14-2012, 1:45 PM
I just got my 71 t120r running and when i go to shift to first it wont engage unless i stomped on the shifter, i can feel the gear with my foot and its not letting me drop into first. so i tightened the clutch cable and it didnt make it any better and i couldnt kick start it. i know that there needs to be alittle play in the clutch lever, and you cant have it adjusted too tight or you cant get a good kickstart. is there somthing im missing. i dont think i should have to stomp it into 1st. and it only does this going from neutral to 1st once its in 1st it shifts smoothly to 2nd then to 3rd and so on . just from N. to 1st. thanks.

CRFyou
03-14-2012, 4:28 PM
you check the level on your tranny fluid?

the heavy gear oil slows the gears down to prevent grinding and shit. low fluid can cause this.

simple things first. bing bong!

Trevor04
03-14-2012, 6:16 PM
i drained the old gear oil, and it definitely needed to be changed, put new oil in but it didnt help any.

starwolf
03-15-2012, 7:45 AM
Try this, remove the cable,holding the cable vertically, hold with thumb and index finger, at metal end of cable sheathing, with other hand, pull the cable up through the outer sheathing, all the way, release it, if it does not glide back through the cable housing(sheathing) all the way, (i.e if it hangs half way or something ) trash it and buy a new Venhill cable.

There should be an adjuster where the clutch cable goes into the clutch housing cover. This should be what you use to adjust the clutch with, the adjuster at the lever should only be used to remove excessive slack out of the cable.

Something else you may try, Before attempting to engage 1st gear, allow the bike to roll forward, while rolling forward, attempt to engage 1st gear.

Another thing, measure the distance on your lever between the pivot point and the center of where the cable barrel end attaches. I had to go with a 1 1/8" spaced lever vs. the stock 7/8" spaced lever, Thus giving more lift to the clutch, though my Triumphs clutch is totally different than yours.

Trevor04
03-15-2012, 8:20 AM
I will try it all out. i think the cable is ok though. i removed the inspection cap that is on the gear box and i could see the ball on the end of the cable and the lever on the clutch operating mechanism moving a sufficient amount when i pulled the clutch lever. hopefully something works i will let you know

starwolf
03-15-2012, 9:49 AM
Cable routing is also important, make certain there are no pinch points, or really tight bends, you want fairly large radius bends. Don't zip tie the cable to the frame really tight (if at all), the cable should be allowed free movement.

Trevor04
03-15-2012, 6:05 PM
i guess i have no choice but to take the cover off and have a look around. i have tried everything , and so far and nothing helps. :banghead:

Trevor04
03-16-2012, 3:45 PM
So i got desperate enough to call torch and ask him. he told me that the friction plates are probably stuck together since the bike had been sitting for awhile. so i pulled them out and they were not stuck bad, it was really just like some oil was holding them together, but i took them all out and cleaned them off. Stuffed it all back together and i still cant get it to shift into gear. any other suggestions. thanks

starwolf
03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Hmmm, Next step ...Process of Elimination ! I would rule out the clutch pull rod , as it is functioning in the other gears. I would even go as so far to say, it is possible that perhaps the problem is within the gearbox itself, and has nothing to do with the clutch at all.(oil on your friction plate sounds bad, I know mine is supposed to be dry, but my shits way different than yours, but my gut tells me oil is a lubricant, not good for something that needs friction to function, though I may be wrong here) Possible broken tooth on 1st gear on layshaft and/or mainshaft (unlikely but possible). Possible first gear layshaft selector fork wear/damage/issues( Highly Likley, as the issue is only durring attempting to obtain1st gear). Possible layshaft engaging dog wear/damage/issues(Also Likely, if the engaging dog is worn/damaged where it engages first, it may not want to engage so well)
I will also say this, I am by no means an expert on any of this shit,. Torch on the other hand is, and has by damn sure helped me out, way more than I can ever thank him enough for !
You should call Torch again (if you feel comfortable with that) or get in touch with him on here, You may have to crack it open, and dig in ! Best of luck with 'er.

Trevor04
03-18-2012, 1:38 PM
i think that cleaning the friction plates off worked, i also shortened the clutch cable, it was way to long . But its working correctly now. next is my front brake, when i pull the lever they dont slowly compress like they should, they just lock up and my forks are so soft i almost fly over the handle bars, not really . im just going to take the front wheel off and do some inspecting. but thanks for your help. :cheersmate:

Trevor04
03-18-2012, 1:43 PM
here is a picture of my bike. i dont think im going to chop it all up yet. i just want to be able to ride it while the weather is nice, it will probably become a bobber during the winter

starwolf
03-18-2012, 6:39 PM
glad you got it functioning correctly! :cheersmate:

starwolf
03-18-2012, 6:41 PM
whoops, (double post accident)