PDA

View Full Version : new bonnevilles?

carl609
03-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Whos got a modern Bonneville? How do you like it? I am going to look at one this week for a commuter and am just looking for some reviews.

Halwade
03-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Bueller? Bueller?

Isgro
03-13-2012, 8:02 PM
I've got an '05 and love it. Great bike and fun to mess around with, too.

Here's a thread with lots of different Hinckley Bonneville stuff...
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107

Harlboro
03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I've got an 08 and would highly recommend it. It's smooth easy to ride around town, but also a blast on back country roads when ya feel like geting after it.

SST
03-20-2012, 7:56 AM
I have an 07 and love it. Easy to work on.

signal9
03-20-2012, 9:10 AM
I've got an '06. I'll say the same as everyone else, it's easy to work on and a lot of fun to ride. It's also my touring bike, I put about 10k miles a year on it..

CRFyou
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
I have an '06 with 23,000 miles. I've owned it since new.

ZERO problems. Only wear parts have been replaced. And I hammer this thing. I ride it like my MX bike. Go into corners fast.... Brake while clutching and down shifting, then dump that clutch and pull out like a hero.

It's such a great bike that I'd buy another if this gets stolen or whatevs...

Walleye
03-20-2012, 9:25 PM
I've also been thinking about one,....

My stupid question is how well would a 6'5" idiot like me fit on one???

billdozer
03-20-2012, 9:50 PM
I had an '06 and loved it until Nitro wadded it up! With the long, flat seat I don't think a tall guy would be too cramped.

BTW, I'm picking up a brand new one tomorrow morning if all goes well. Not for me, but to do a Chop Cult feature on. We've done a couple HD's and are finally getting our mits on a Triumph. Results to follow.

Walleye
03-21-2012, 6:59 AM
So I'll still look like a monkey f'ing a football,.....

But I might fit,........

I'm going to have to go test ride one,....I've been bike less for a few years and the bug has got me again,...

Last bike was a honda cx500 so I guess anything is bigger and better,...........

I look forward to your feature, And thank you for running such a good site!!

Huero
03-21-2012, 7:11 AM
I had an '05 TBA that I rode as a commuter for four years. Great bike and I would buy another in a heartbeat, but it lacked good cruising speed (my opinion, of course) on the open rode. Must do's (again, my opinion): yank the emmission crap, open up the air box, less restrictive pipes (the sewing machine sound is a little pansy) install larger counter sprocket, and address the blueing pipe issue. Here was mine:

CRFyou
03-21-2012, 10:26 AM
I've also been thinking about one,....

My stupid question is how well would a 6'5" idiot like me fit on one???

I'm also 6'5".

Do you have a huge belly or something?

My older bikes are smaller, but don't bother me at all.

My 2006 Scrambler makes me feel totally normal. I believe it sits 2" higher though...

Plus Tyler rides Triumphs and he's 7' 5".

Just get one, dude!

Farducci
03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Had an '02 Bonneville 799cc - Tweek'd and modded - loved it! Hooligan fun bike.
Had an '05 Thruxton 900cc. - Not so much. Uncomfortable clip-ons and I don't like the looks of the raised bars on them.

With the new power module/higher rev. limit, jetted carbs, airbox removal & BUB exhaust, the 799cc Bonnie always "seemed" faster to me. Pulled the front wheel way easier too. Could be some geometry in there I suppose.

For me the ideal one would be a 900cc Standard Bonneville or T100 - Pre-Fuel Injection ('09?) and Spoke'd wheels for sure!

The Scramblers are pretty cool too.

R

Bonnevilleray
03-21-2012, 6:49 PM
I also have a newer one. Love my 2006 Bonnie Black. Light weight and handles great. Plenty of pep for a small bike. Rode from Ohio to Williamsburg VA last summer with the wife on the back. Biggest problem I had was running into a severe rainstorm on the way back and ended staying an extra night on the way home. Was literally riding through water up to the pipes. :(
I'm not really in the habit of keeping the same bike for long, but I am thinking this will be a keeper for many yrs to come.
Ditched the A.I. garbage, added K&N filters and British Customs Predators.. Makes a big difference in sound and performance..And YES.. My pipes are BLUE!!!:D

Walleye
03-21-2012, 6:52 PM
I'm also 6'5".

Do you have a huge belly or something?

My older bikes are smaller, but don't bother me at all.

My 2006 Scrambler makes me feel totally normal. I believe it sits 2" higher though...

Plus Tyler rides Triumphs and he's 7' 5".

Just get one, dude!

I'm gonna have to go ride one,..................

Been wanting one for way to long,...

How about the older Thunderbird's/Adventurer bikes, Are they any good??

Bonnevilleray
03-21-2012, 7:21 PM
Had a 99 Thunderbird. More comfy for the wife, but I didn't like it. Top heavy and know real character. Ran good and a strong motor. Just be extremely careful around corners with any pea gravel..... ( Makes for a puckering butt cheeks moment )

CRFyou
03-21-2012, 9:00 PM
I'm gonna have to go ride one,..................

Been wanting one for way to long,...

How about the older Thunderbird's/Adventurer bikes, Are they any good??

Triumph lets you test ride them, too.

billdozer
03-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Does Harley not let a buyer test ride?

CRFyou
03-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Does Harley not let a buyer test ride?

No idea.

Since this is the Internet, I'll speculate with zero experience... Harley does NOT let you test ride.

... Actually they probably do, but since he thinks he's too tall for a triumph, he should try before he buys.

Walleye
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't want to buy new so I don't really want to hassle a dealer by test riding if I'm not serious about buying new,.....And my local Triumph deal doesn't have much for used on the floor,...

I've ridden a couple of Harley's and they just don't do it for me,....Aside from the Sportster they seem bloated, fat and big,.........Not that I'm not bloated, fat and big but I don't want that in a scoot,.

I grew up in Viola, WI home of S&S so I'll get plenty of flack from friends if I buy a Triumph,...........Oh Well,...........

CRFyou
03-21-2012, 10:55 PM
I don't want to buy new so I don't really want to hassle a dealer by test riding if I'm not serious about buying new,.....And my local Triumph deal doesn't have much for used on the floor,...

I grew up in Viola, WI home of S&S so I'll get plenty of flack from friends if I buy a Triumph,...........Oh Well,...........

You buy a used triumph, someone else buys a new one. Dutch door action. Who cares? Go to the dealer and say you're seeing what fits. I have looked at stuff, and told them I'm not buying.

You're burdening yourself unfairly.

And about your friends... They want you to be like them. Get a triumph, be different, meet dudes and get more triumphs cheap as fuck.

SST
03-25-2012, 10:35 AM
I had an '06 and loved it until Nitro wadded it up! With the long, flat seat I don't think a tall guy would be too cramped.

BTW, I'm picking up a brand new one tomorrow morning if all goes well. Not for me, but to do a Chop Cult feature on. We've done a couple HD's and are finally getting our mits on a Triumph. Results to follow.

To modify or just test for the article?

billdozer
03-25-2012, 10:52 AM
To modify or just test for the article?

I wish it was to modify. Just to do a road test on. Gotta give it back in two weeks.

Walleye
03-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Maybe talk them out of a Rocket 3 next??,................:D

signal9
03-26-2012, 8:01 AM
Maybe talk them out of a Rocket 3 next??,................:D

Is it even POSSIBLE to chop one of those?

But hey, if you need to pull a camper or something...

Lordmerciless
03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
The "NEW" Bonnevilles are so bad ass!
I currently have a '70 BSA chopper, '04 HD Electra Glide w/ Sidecar, and an '07 Bonneville, so you can see I ride a few different types of bikes and love riding the new Bonnie the most.
I've owned over 20 bikes in the last 9 yrs and have owned 4 New Bonnevilles.
I've had to sell them for financial reasons but I always buy one again.

I had a '98 Triumph Thunderbird which was a beast! So fargin' fast but a little too sport bike style for me so I sold it.
I've had a T-100, Bonnie Black, and now my silver Bonnie which I hope to have forever...it just goes and goes!
I highly recommend!
~Lordmerciless

Walleye
03-26-2012, 3:33 PM
Those 98 or so T-Birds is what I think I want,...

Now I just need to get a pile of cash together so next time I see one for sale relativity close I can go grab it,.....

Walleye
03-26-2012, 3:34 PM

Anything is possible!!!

I know I'd like to take on for a spin,..........

jw261
03-28-2012, 10:48 AM
I used to have an 08 T-100. It was a really nice ride. If you intend to make any major modifications it can get expensive and diffcult to find some parts(unless you want to cafe it). It was super reliable and easy to ride.

SST
04-01-2012, 9:47 PM

I actually had one (Triumph Rocket) for a few weeks. The fastest and the most bizarre moto I have ever ridden. That is all I can really say.

RIPshitRIOT
04-03-2012, 10:52 PM

There was a dude riding one on the Circulo De Muerte track on the last EDR. That guy was gettin' the fuck after it, too.

panzaa
04-04-2012, 5:28 AM
I've got a Thruxton 04 (originally it was).

Done tons of work on it and I am very very pleased :)

Walleye
04-04-2012, 6:24 AM
I've got a Thruxton 04 (originally it was).

Done tons of work on it and I am very very pleased :)

Sweet,.......................

getlost
07-11-2012, 9:40 PM
Just got a 2012 T100 love it.
I am a new rider and the bike handles great even for a noob like me.

Just wish the pipes were a little louder.

dazegoneby
07-12-2012, 12:11 PM
was in my local trump shop two days ago,, looked at these i,m 5,10 seemed lik no prob on room,, but the steve mcqueen edition looked short/small,when compared to the big daddy rocket.gawd,,I was drooling on my shirt and the guy knew he had me by the balls...:)

CRFyou
07-12-2012, 2:46 PM
Just got a 2012 T100 love it.
I am a new rider and the bike handles great even for a noob like me.

Just wish the pipes were a little louder.

Yeah. You need to uncork those bastards. There is so much backpressure on stock pipes that your bike is actually running semi-shitty.

When I let my new Triumph breathe, the engine cooled at the head tremendously and the bike had better acceleration.

theghostoflLinkWray
07-13-2012, 6:28 AM
Yeah. You need to uncork those bastards. There is so much backpressure on stock pipes that your bike is actually running semi-shitty.

When I let my new Triumph breathe, the engine cooled at the head tremendously and the bike had better acceleration.

Yes to all of this.

Hook yourself up with new exhaust, ditch that airbox, and remap. You'll be glad you did.

Check out British Customs or Triumph Performance USA. I'm running the Dominator Sport exhaust from TPUSA on my Thruxton and love 'em.