PDA

View Full Version : finish the edge of a chopped fender?

ibuiltmine
03-10-2012, 11:02 AM
I do not have a lot of body tools (none actually) but I was thinking of finding some 1/4 inch wire and tig welding it around the bottom edge of this fender?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/ibuiltmine-o1oo/photobucket-1261-1331398831811.jpg

Detale
03-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Thats a good idea man. Personally I'd just paint it and be done with it.

Ember
03-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I use a flapper wheel on a hand grinder and hit the edges of things like a fender. I have a range of them from heavy grit to fine. A file and some sand paper will take care of any other small sharp edges. Other than softening the sharp edges, my fenders never receive anything else along its edges.

Looks good as is!

MetulMunky
03-10-2012, 1:22 PM
use one of these and call it a day.

heliarc welding the ede of that fender is probably difficult, and not worth the time involved, as well as running the risk of deforming the edge, (ie too much heat/scalloping undercutting)

ibuiltmine
03-10-2012, 1:40 PM
Thanks guys! I got out the contour gauge and both sides are exactly the same, I spent a good amount of time with the file and its pretty clean and smooth.... and the more I look at it, the more I think Ill leave the edge as is.
Maybe the guy who is doing my paint will have an idea on how to do something on it that will not distort it too much.

again, thanks for the advice!

NHMike
03-10-2012, 2:27 PM
Did this "Duck Bill" with a 1" solid round bar (in a vice) and regular roofing hammer (light taps). You could probably do the same thing with something smaller, maybe 1/4", and round it around the bottom. You could practice on the peice you cut off.

ibuiltmine
03-10-2012, 2:35 PM
Did this "Duck Bill" with a 1" solid round bar (in a vice) and regular roofing hammer (light taps). You could probably do the same thing with something smaller, maybe 1/4", and round it around the bottom. You could practice on the peice you cut off.

awesome! Ill practice wit hte cut off piece. That might work. and if i screw up too bad I have a pretty good body man thats going to do the paint.

NHMike
03-10-2012, 2:42 PM
awesome! Ill practice wit hte cut off piece. That might work. and if i screw up too bad I have a pretty good body man thats going to do the paint.

That was the first time I had ever done something like that. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to form the metal. Even if you fuck it up, you can hammer it back to normal. Just take your time with it and have a gentle hand on the hammer.

Oooh. That sounds dirty, hahaha.

ibuiltmine
03-10-2012, 2:50 PM
That was the first time I had ever done something like that. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to form the metal. Even if you fuck it up, you can hammer it back to normal. Just take your time with it and have a gentle hand on the hammer.

Oooh. That sounds dirty, hahaha.
cool thanks man