PDA

View Full Version : anyone from portland OR

totaldismay
03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
looking into moving to the portland area. anyone from there have ideas on what part of the city to live

cowboyshirtday
03-06-2012, 1:56 PM
Inner south east is probably the "coolest" place to live, but there are pockets of nice neighborhoods throughout the east side. I would look from about SE 52d-west, but it can be pretty expensive. There are a lot of cool place NE also. Or you could check out one of the suburbs, milwaukie being the closest. Me personally, I wouldn't live in Gresham if you paid me, but there probably are a few douchbags who need a roommate out that way.

Charlie503
03-06-2012, 2:07 PM
LOL cowboy is rite stay out of Gresham its a shit hole.

I live in Portland on the south east side of the city and l like it.

What is your price range, that will be the biggest factor.

Look into the Mt. Tabor area its close enough to the city to only have a 5-10 minute commute and it has a cool scene going on. Music, coffee, Irish pubs and is mostly younger people living there.

Hope it helps, kinda hard to describe a city without knowing what your looking for.

bobberadam
03-06-2012, 2:24 PM
I live in the milwaukie area and really like it, affordable and close to everything. agreed stay out of gresham.

carl609
03-07-2012, 2:31 AM
If you can find a place within walking distance to Marys Club you are golden

tommyshock
03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
totaldismay Where are you moving from? Have you visited here much? I moved here from Phoenix AZ 3 years ago, I gotta admit this move was the biggest mistake I've made in a while. I'm lucky to have a good job where I can transfer where I want to go when I need. It's cold and wet as hell and never seems to let up, we're lucky to get 3 1/2 months of sunshine. I've been wearing my long johns since the end of last September! Everyone I meet here is over weight and clinically depressed, suicide is always something you here about on the news and in conversation. This over liberal recycle everything hippie attitude is fuckin killing me. I guess all I'm saying is do your research before moving here, I guess I didn't do mine? Sure, I meet people who love it here but it seems like they've never set foot out of the Pacific Northwest, so they don't know any better I guess? I know I don't speak for everyone, some people love it here and are happy and would never want to live any place else, so I'm not trying to offend. All I'm trying to say is make sure you know where you're going before you get stuck here and can make the move out. I'm headed back to Arizona in June, I gotta dry out, warm up and eat some REAL Mexican food again!

Charlie503
03-07-2012, 1:01 PM
Why the hell would you move to the PNW if you hate a colder and wet climate? I would hate to live in a hot dry place like that, I like to see the seasons change and have all the hunting and fishing we have here. Mountains, beach, dunes, water skiing, snow skiing wind surfing, rafting and if you got big enough balls surfing all with in 6 hour drive so ya I like Portland. If you dont mind it a little colder you should look at Seattle now that is a cool fucking town.

Tommy is giving a bad look at the area, yes it rains a LOT and we get maybe a few days of snow.

I ride year round and its 53 today and 65 tomorrow so no need for a jacket today just a flannel. The good riding weather is about 6 months with another couple months of fair riding. From Oct. to Feb. it is cold and wet but if you have good gear then it doesnt matter. I had about 3 weeks of weather that I just couldnt get up the nerve to ride in but I dont have a wind screen LOL.

As far as the recycling hippy thing is true it is as much red neck and just plain old working class people out here, it all depends on where in the city you live.

tommyshock
03-07-2012, 5:06 PM
I thought it would be a nice change but the novelty quickly wore off.

[QUOTE=Charlie503;282923]Why the hell would you move to the PNW if you hate a colder and wet climate?

elTee
03-09-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm across the river in Vancouver Wa, been up here for about a year now. Took some getting used to after 42 years in So Cal, but I dig it...Fresh air and outdoor activities are endless!
Theres no hippies or fixies on our side of the river & we dont recycle either, But I can be in Portland in 10 minutes for some good food and a show. Good luck w/ the search...

BLuke
03-09-2012, 3:18 PM
I lived in Oregon for about 20 years. Im 30 now. Left about 7 years ago. I had a great time while I was there but I didnt ride Harleys back then, I rode dirt bikes. Its not a great place for riding bikes, it rains non stop, but its a great place for outdoor stuff. It does have a huge hipster scene that is way over the top and pretty silly. The ecconomy is one of THE worst in the USA. I was a FULL ON PORTLANDER for all those years, b ut honestly its because I didnt know what I was missing, mainly meaning Sunshine. Portland is also pretty old feeling and kinda dirty. SOme of thats the rain, but a lot is just the mentality. I know prefer to live in a place where I can ride my Harley most of the year, dont have to deal with rain, a different more progressive, less liberal type of place. Im proud to have been from there and It had a huge part in creating who I am am cultivating my perspectives, but I dont think Id EVER live there again. It just feels like going back in time when I visit. There is however a ton of stuff to be appreciated, just not the kind of stuff I appreciate any more. My 2 cents.

psychokat
03-09-2012, 5:12 PM
I don't usually chime in on the forum, but I grew up in Sandy, OR which is farther east from Gresham ( by the way, if you don't mind the weather, I always liked Sandy, it's only about 20min from Portlandia). I moved away in 2000 when I joined the army and have only returned once a year or two to visit my family. There was a comment made farther up about the most die hard OR lovers having never been outta the PNW is similar to my experience (including my own family, I can't hardly get them to come visit me EVER). In OR you have two 'camps'; the ultra liberal granola eaters who want to promote Obama to Savior, and the Loggers/ Hunters/ Ranchers/ Rednecks. The weather is not abysmal year round, but it does rain in the Portland area ALOT, and it can rain any time of the year, and it can last for a week or two without letting up a bit. The summers are nice when they do come, and the winters are generally mildish. If you are sold on OR, but not sure about what area, I would say there are way nicer parts than Portland. East of the Cascades is more rural but it's alot dryer and there has been alot of growth out there in the last 20 years. The southern coastline around Coos Bay and the Cali border is supposed to have a real nice climate year round, and it's one of the places I am considering for retirement when I do retire outta the Army. In my opinion, Portland is one of the worst Cities to live in or near, and I have lived all over the USA, Italy, Germany, Iraq, and Afghanistan. On that note, maybe it's changed for the worse in the last 12 years, but I always preferred Gresham to Portland. Pros, Portland has the distinction of having the most strip clubs per capita in the entire US! At least that's what I read a while back.

BLuke
03-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Y3a Dude. 10 years ago gresham was nice but in the last 7 years it became the hood. Crazy. I think it happened because the maz train was brought out there. Shame.

Beefdrippings
03-10-2012, 2:10 PM
Well I visit Portland all the time and I love it.I'm from Vancouver BC so I'm no stranger to rain though.

totaldismay
03-11-2012, 11:33 AM
im gonna be moving from grand rapids mi. hoping to get an apartment thats around 600 a month. im a welder so im hoping there will also be a better economy with all the ship yards.

paybacks01
03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Sandy or, at least when I visit my folks. Moved down to so cal for work and the riding weather. I love Oregon but the rain sucks. Can't beat it in the summer though.

Charlie503
03-11-2012, 1:17 PM
Look into the local 290 plumber steamfitter union. I have a buddy thats a fitter and hes worked every day over the last 5 years and yes there are a lot of ship yards here

randommayhem
03-11-2012, 5:25 PM
Born and raised in Portland.

Frankenfab
03-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Been in Portland for 6 years, grew up in Seattle. Prefer Portland to Seattle because it's easier to live and the scenery/hunting/fishing is fantastic.
Lived in AZ for about a year when I was a kid and hated it.. I guess that it's because I was used to WA weather. So, I can see what the earlier dude meant if the AZ climate is what you like, this would not be the place for you.
Tons of strip clubs, tons of beer... the economy is kinda fucked though. Not sure what to say but if you have specific questions I can chime in.

blsm
03-12-2012, 9:01 PM
Check out Portland's fucking extreme chopper scene (http://www.hulu.com/watch/332446/portlandia-motorcycle-2)

Trigger
03-13-2012, 3:20 PM
Check out Portland's fucking extreme chopper scene (http://www.hulu.com/watch/332446/portlandia-motorcycle-2)

That fucking kills me.

Jackhammerjack
05-14-2012, 1:34 PM
600 bucks won't pay rent in a quality apartment. If you find Anything that cheap, and I'd be really surprised if you did, it will be full of crackheads, tweakers and welfare sucking ghetto trash, or a room in shared housing with heroin addict 'artists'. As far as neighborhoods go, the listed posts are right on the money. PM if you narrow down a place and want an insiders view. I can let you know how frequent the cops are taking care of business there. 800 bucks is more realistic for a starting price for something decent, and a job should be lined up before you get here. If not, you shouldn't bother. To all you lovers and haters, you are both right on the money! I'm outta here in 10 years, 6 months and 13 days!!!

SHARP
05-20-2012, 9:25 PM
im gonna be moving from grand rapids mi. hoping to get an apartment thats around 600 a month. im a welder so im hoping there will also be a better economy with all the ship yards.

Moved out here just about 4 years ago from Flint. Could not be happier! Lots of shit to do and the economy is still light years better than Mi. I live in washougal, which across the river from Portland. Not as happening but a decent and close option to the city, with a fam.

Portland is a cool, clean joint. But definitely beware of flaming libs and tree huggers. All in all the rain does suck. However no humidity, no bugs, no below zero ( unless u hit one of the mountains).

Lots of beer and titty bars! I'll second the Mary's shout out as well! They play their own music for fucks sake....

heffe
05-20-2012, 9:27 PM
$600 is a little on the low side depending on what your standards for a good neighborhood are. Inner southeast is your best bet. Avoid the west side of the river.

jramp
06-01-2012, 5:38 PM
Hey man, Portlands a pretty rad place if you dont mind some funky shit every once in a while, including the weather but that makes it fun. Contrary to some folks posting replies, I dont wear long johns all winter and im a year round rider. Its fucking so fun mashing through huge puddles and getting sideways through ally ways. Either way, most people who hate it here are generally the pessimistic type anyway. Through the rainy season, people constantly gawk at me for enjoying my motorcycle in the rain, but they either dont know what there missing out on, or there pussys. If you're a city person from a nicer climate, you might not like it here but if you like having fun, love the outdoors, dont mind some funky people, and you arent a little bitch, youd probably dig this place. as a matter of fact, if you cant handle portland, you should probably call your mom and ask if you can crawl back up her womb. maybe that helps, me no know...

jramp
06-01-2012, 5:43 PM
...Oh and I live in inner NE Portland off of Mississippi and pay 400 for rent in a dope house with a huge backyard and full basement. Theres a lot of unique and inexpensive housing options here and its also a big college town which means rooms and houses are constantly rotating the rental circuit.
-Josh

gonzoguilt
08-17-2013, 2:26 AM
I know it's an old thread but fuck it, I'm buzzed and too lazy to search. I'm about a half hour away from hopping on a train up to Portland from Chico. Any 33ers wanna meet up? I'll be there till Tuesday afternoon.

bobberadam
08-17-2013, 9:42 AM
Pm me, I think a few of us might meet up tomorrow. Search for the portlandia thread, it is much more up to speed.