PDA

View Full Version : clutch adjustment

Bailey
02-27-2012, 2:10 PM
this is my first bike that i'm building.Its a 71 t120r i cant get the clutch to engage can anyone help me? thanks

Pendulum
02-27-2012, 3:36 PM
Did the clutch ever engage, or was it messed up when you got the bike? How old is the cable?

starwolf
02-27-2012, 4:38 PM
Heres a cable tip, remove the clutch cable, hold it between index finger and thumb, vertically. With your other hand lift the cable all the way up out of the housing/sheathing, and let it go, it the cable does not freely return all the way back through the cable housing/sheathing, throw it in the trashcan , and buy a new one. Also if it shows any signs of deteration like cracking, missing pieces of sheathing/housing, excess grime/dirt it will need to be replaced. Cable routing can sometimes also be an issue, ensure that you don't have any real tight bends,or pinch points, don't zip tie it to the frame real tight, it should be allowed to move freely. with large radius, loopy bends. This is just the first, least expensive item to check/ obtain. I highly recommend Venhill cables.

However, I feel that there is likely more to your clutch issues than a new cable will correct. Your clutch is likely either worn out,(which would require replacement of clutch plate(s),spider cushions,springs and the sorts, or it is incorrectly adjusted.

Get a copy of the original service manual, and parts manual, if you plan on working on it, you will not regret it !
This link may be of use , if you don't already have a parts manual , keep in mind these are NOT the OEM part #'s
http://www.bigdcycle.com/book%20project/650%20UNIT%20TWINS/1971%20650%20parts/index.html

Bailey
02-27-2012, 5:53 PM
the cable is beat but still works ok is there any kind if adjustment to it?

Torch
02-27-2012, 6:04 PM
this is my first bike that i'm building.Its a 71 t120r i cant get the clutch to engage can anyone help me? thanks

that's not a lot of info to get a good internet diagnosis form,
but one of the things I see a lot at the shop is many people that are new to "old" bikes try to out think the original Triumph engineers and put some miracle wis-bang synthetic oil in there to make it better that stock.
after 1970 Triumphs had a sharing primary (clutch housing) with the engine oil, so If you have any type of synthetic oil in the engine you need to drain it all out and pull the clutch assembly out and clean all that shit off of the plates and then re-fill it with a regular dinosaur oil.

starwolf
02-27-2012, 9:44 PM
the cable is beat but still works ok is there any kind if adjustment to it?

There should be a 2 piece screw in/out adjuster at the lever where the cable enters the lever.

Torch
02-28-2012, 9:29 AM
There should be a 2 piece screw in/out adjuster at the lever where the cable enters the lever.

loosen the lever adjuster up and then do a clutch rod adjustment first.
Actually the first thing is to buy a manual for the bike so you will know how to do this.