PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy an Axle, anyone know a good place?

NHMike
11-30-2009, 9:27 AM
I need a new 3/4 rear axle for my 73 Ironhead. With the Santee bolt on kit, the stock one (or at least the one that came with the bike) is too long at around 11 1/4 inches. I need one that's about 10 1/2 long. I'd prefer to buy one with the collars already welded in but I could buy some of those and weld myself if need be. Unfortunately I don't have access to a Lathe to turn one myself or I'd give it a whirl.

I've looked around but it seems I can't search for a certain length, only for certain model bikes.

Thanks!

imtheslime
12-01-2009, 1:48 PM
I think the stock axle was metric just under 3/4. I had a santee weld on and bought this
santee axle 2200160, It also measures about 11-1/4. It was a good fit and left about 3 threads when installed. I wonder if the bolt ons are narrower?

NHMike
12-01-2009, 6:09 PM
I think the stock axle was metric just under 3/4. I had a santee weld on and bought this
santee axle 2200160, It also measures about 11-1/4. It was a good fit and left about 3 threads when installed. I wonder if the bolt ons are narrower?

I assume so, I need one that's about 10 1/2. Actually got an e-mail from a guy on here (wish I knew his name) that's gonna tool it down for me on his lathe for a REAL good price. It's going in the mail in the next couple days. Thanks man.

EricBarnett
12-02-2009, 12:15 PM
19 mm drill rod works great for axles too, it measures .748" so it fits great with out taking anything off the outside. I see you already got yours figured out but I thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else out.