PDA

View Full Version : Arrggghh!!!

SportsterMike
11-29-2009, 8:48 PM
i just lost about 4 years worth of pictures on my mac thanks to the options not being clear when i reloaded my OS to clean things up.....FUCKIN BULLSHIT!!! pics of bikes, friends, family all kinds of shit... gone. along with all my bookmarks to different how-tos, cool online shops,

im so fucking pissed right now and there is not a damn thing i can do about it...

done with my rant.

junkpile.

rustrocket84
11-29-2009, 9:02 PM
and to think everyone says mac's are bomb proof. No joke it sucks it happened to me about 6 months ago. I got some back that were on photobucket but lost all my work files too.

onigoroshi
11-29-2009, 9:34 PM
Time Machine

i got a 2TB drive for $100 so everything gets backed up, learned that the hard way.

gravelveins
11-29-2009, 9:36 PM
man, that blows!
do you have an external hard drive set up for time machine?

i bought a 1 terabyte external drive from amazon last year for all the photos i had on my iMac(i do photography)
about every month or two i dump everything on to it as it eats ups the gigs fast!

anyways, man i'm bummed for you that this happened....

Nick
11-29-2009, 9:47 PM
i blog pics only for that reason.....man that hurts I know! if I lost my pics I'd just cry....dude never cheap out...get the backup HD...I bought one for $139.00 that holds more than enuff...everyone should have one imo they are irreplaceble

SportsterMike
11-29-2009, 9:53 PM
ya all my pics from living in europe for 3 years gone, along with all the pics of me and my fiancee i only see once ever 4-6 months, gone too.... fuckin sucks man.....

"tough shit" lesson learned, but god damn it sucks.

dalebfast
11-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Yup, that did it, I gotta get an external HD, and store it all there. They are USB, right? I got a couple of zip drives, but only 8 GB or so. I always say that 'anything you don't want to lose....'

Nick
11-30-2009, 11:49 AM
ya mine uses a USB cable

BullDog
11-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Dude, take that thing into a PC repair shop, maybe they can recover some of those files???

imtheslime
11-30-2009, 3:42 PM
Like Bull Dog said. Really, all that is still in there, you just can't access it. I worked a hacker convention a couple years ago. They had a speaker(not a hacker) that talked about data recover
from hard drives. This guy could recover data from anything, he had hard drives that were in fires, beaten with hammers you name it. You might be able to find some computer guru like that to help you out.

SportsterMike
11-30-2009, 5:49 PM
ya im emailing friends that got me into macs to see if they know any tricks

BullDog
11-30-2009, 6:55 PM
I didn't post my whole message before 'cause I was dodging the boss lady at work. My hard drive took a big ol' shit on this PC about 2 years ago and I couldn't even 'boot up'. Removed the offending hard drive and dropped it off at a local PC repair shop and about 2 days later...no shit I had EVERYTHING from the old hard drive installed onto a brandy new one for about $60 bucks.

As I remember the dude told me something like this......when files are deleted 'normally' all that really happens is the file's entry is removed from the registry which allows that 'space' to be overwritten by incoming data. So, long story short....as long as you're NOT using the computer now, those pics, files, etc., are not being overwritten and should be recoverable.

Good Luck dude.

SportsterMike
11-30-2009, 7:49 PM
ya but can all that be done on a mac.... im gonna do some googlin' tonight and tommorow and try to figure it out. my desktop is actually a macbook....i really dont wanna crack this biatch open....

BullDog
11-30-2009, 8:13 PM
Yeah Mike, I'm no expert on those left-handed MAC's..ha..j/k. Hey you could call up the local Best Buy and tell 'em you bought your mac there...talk to the geek squad and see if they "can" do data recovery on that mac. At least you would know it could be done. Just sayin

imtheslime
11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Or if you have a apple store close by take it to the "genius bar".

BullDog
11-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Or if you have a apple store close by take it to the "genius bar".

Are you serious? "genius bar"?? haha

imtheslime
12-01-2009, 1:17 AM
Are you serious? "genius bar"?? haha
I'm serious. Saying/writing it makes me want to hurl. In between D&D sessions I hear they are pretty helpful.

onigoroshi
12-01-2009, 2:29 AM
I'm serious. Saying/writing it makes me want to hurl. In between D&D sessions I hear they are pretty helpful.

genius bar vs geek squad. two men enter, one man leaves.

Sawbones
12-01-2009, 1:44 PM
Nerd Thunderdome!

Seriously though, I don't think OS X has anything like a System Restore Point on Windows machines. I think they try to get you to use the Time Machine that way.

SportsterMike
12-01-2009, 6:16 PM
damn never thought about taking it to best buy.... and ya that genius shit is a load of crap...... i think geek squad vs the genius'..... geek squad everytime..

BullDog
12-03-2009, 4:48 PM
Did you get a verdict yet Mike?

SportsterMike
12-07-2009, 7:56 PM
ya cant do shit about it. went to best buy and they talked like they dont know shit about macs "no we cant recover it" and blah blah blah....oh well.

BullDog
12-07-2009, 8:50 PM
Try this link dude........

http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/

Sounds like you might have to go this one alone unless you want to try the """"Genius Patrol/Squad/Goobers"""" at the MAC store.

Or you can go straight to the source at apple.com

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/macfilerecovery.html