PDA

View Full Version : Christmas came early at our house - opinions please

cafcustoms
11-28-2009, 1:45 PM
Got some goodies delivered this week and fitted them today to see how they look:

Performance machine 4 pot rear caliper and an SU Eliminator with cranked manifold and velocity stack. Got them loosely fitted but I'm not 100% on where the SU is sitting!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/bigusnickus/P1030477.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/bigusnickus/P1030494.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/bigusnickus/P1030489.jpg

My bike has turned out fairly skinny. I hadn't really planned it that way although it was probably in the back of my mind and now i;ve fitted the carb, which I had always planned, I'm thinking it's maybe sitting out a bit too far?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/bigusnickus/P1030479.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/bigusnickus/P1030481.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/bigusnickus/P1030492.jpg

I'll go with it for now cause I've still got exhaust, cables and pipes and shit to fit, all of which will fill in the gaps. If i'm not happy then I can fit the SU straight and maybe change the Velocity stack fir a slimmer filter.

Anyway tell me what you think? Like it or not? Will I be taking off wing mirrors when I'm filtering or is it the dogs conkers??

svwannabe
11-28-2009, 1:55 PM
Love the SU rocking the velocity stack, very nice

shovelhead79
11-28-2009, 2:05 PM
Tight scoot, I like it

Rico05R
11-28-2009, 6:18 PM
I see what your saying, especially in the last pic. Whether you end up running it like it is, or running it straight the SU is definitely rockin' on your scoot. Nice Sled.

coltfreak5
11-28-2009, 6:38 PM
either way you put it, the bike is still gonna look great

gravelveins
11-29-2009, 9:48 PM
this bike has got just the right funk...
with the seat and grips and the crazy tall sissy bar....

MadDog
11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I definitely see what you mean about sticking out too far. I agree that it would be wise to put on the pipes and everything else, then look again. Regardless, you are clearly on the right track. Sweet sled.

vin
11-30-2009, 8:09 AM
i definately dig the whole bike. it does not stick out too far. it is no farther than your peg and if you mounted it straight it would probably stick out just as far. nice build.

crass
12-02-2009, 3:11 AM
you have a lot of different finishes going on there

cafcustoms
12-02-2009, 4:46 AM
you have a lot of different finishes going on there

Nothing's been finished yet. Nearly ready to strip the bike down, tidy up the frame and have it powder coated black. Most of the rest will be clear coated I think, with some purple metalflake thrown in here and there and a few more brass bits to bolt on.

I spose by the time I have finished there will be a bit of a mix - steel, brass, chrome, black, and purple!

Thanks for the rest of the comments fellas.

crass
12-02-2009, 6:31 AM
Why powdercoat such a beautiful frame?
You should investigate the pros and cons of powdercoating a frame -- specifically how you can't weld shit to it and it's hard as fuck to remove if it clouds/scratches/etc

sumo
12-02-2009, 7:08 AM
Why powdercoat such a beautiful frame?

because just a fantastic finish for our great climate over here if its a bike you want to RIDE. a novel concept for some i know but some of us do ride old bikes as well as put them together

the point of it is that it is hard and difficult to chip. its pretty cheap and high gloss that lasts. its very unlikely to cloud or scratch. and if you have done a dry build and a shake down you dont need to weld to it.

as for removing - absolutely not a problem - take it to the powder coater and tell them you want it stripping off - cost peanuts.

i got a frame stripped and re-powdered for 120 last winter

the bikes looking great by the way.

erikweste
12-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Do what you want, but if it were mine I would clear powder that frame so you could keep the raw look and still have protection from the elements. The bike looks killer just as is.

Nice job.
~E

cafcustoms
12-02-2009, 1:18 PM
I've got the option of a clear powder coat and I haven't ruled it out, but it might be just that bit too much bare metal.

I have to speak to the powdercoaters, or maybe someone here can tell me? I guess that the metal will have to be shot blasted or acid dipped before coating so that would leave me with shiney bare metal for ever!!?

If i'm gonna have bare metal I want it to have some patina and show some age. The last thing I want is a uniform soul-less shiney steel look.

Thats one of the reasons why I was gonna go for black, also it would set the rest of the metalwork off. I am planning on experimenting with premature aging/patinaing of the tank, oil tank, bars, sissy and rear fender, then lacquering with prehaps a satin clear. I'll leave the brass to do it's own thing.

TroubleLeather1
12-02-2009, 9:07 PM
you must have some long ass arms? , looks kick ass

sumo
12-03-2009, 6:20 AM
i got a frame clear powdered and it was a bit yellow looking - didnt really like it. was a few years ago now though - maybe clear powder is more clear now

MadDog
12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
I like black frames. I like patina metal. I like purple.

My ironhead (project) has a black frame, some bare metal, and purple tank, grips etc... So if you ask me, I say stick with your plan, it's genius!

cafcustoms
12-03-2009, 3:32 PM
I like black frames. I like patina metal. I like purple.

My ironhead (project) has a black frame, some bare metal, and purple tank, grips etc... So if you ask me, I say stick with your plan, it's genius!

How about some pics MadDog??

Somewhere....In a parallel universe there'll be a bike just like mine....Is it yours????

Great combination of colours tho.

MadDog
12-03-2009, 8:15 PM
Here's a mock up shot:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/markbalderman/79%20build/IMG_8271.jpg

Some things I'm still not sure about, like the battery box and oil tank. Unfortunately the project has been slow, because I work on it in my free time, along with 3 other bikes and countless home improvement projects. But you are inspiring me to focus on the ironhead.

By the way, this pic is old. I need to find the charger for my camera before I can take any recent shots.

erikweste
12-04-2009, 7:43 AM
If i'm gonna have bare metal I want it to have some patina and show some age. The last thing I want is a uniform soul-less shiney steel look.

...I am planning on experimenting with premature aging/patinaing of the tank, oil tank, bars, sissy and rear fender, then lacquering with prehaps a satin clear. I'll leave the brass to do it's own thing.

Nothing like experimenting with different finishes to speed up the process of showing age to ensure that people know your bike has truly seen some miles.

Nicko
12-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Please take no offence here, but the angular shape under the seat where the backbone bends into the seat post grabs attention. Have you noticed that at all? Hey, just me. I noticed my attention was drawn to it first. I am sure when it is on the ground it would not be on display. so much Trying to think of a reasonable remedy and nothing comes to mind except an under seat pan...which might not look right either....sorry, just making a comment...the sheetmetal looks really good as well.

cafcustoms
12-04-2009, 3:28 PM
Good looking bike MadDog. Got a real nice stance.

Cool choice of colours!

Is that oil tank an ex-fire extinguisher? And is it gonna get the purple treatment?

I do dig the radical tail light too.....very retro!!!

MadDog
12-04-2009, 7:32 PM
Please take no offence here, but the angular shape under the seat where the backbone bends into the seat post grabs attention

That is a Led Sled hardtail, and I have been thinking about how to make that better. At this point, I plan on finishing the bike first and make changes later. In the future I would just make a tail from scratch.

Good looking bike MadDog. Got a real nice stance.

Cool choice of colours!

Is that oil tank an ex-fire extinguisher? And is it gonna get the purple treatment?

I do dig the radical tail light too.....very retro!!!

It is a fire extinguisher. It would be hard to match the purple, since that is some vintage old paint. When I cut the fender I was very careful to score it first and then clear the edge to minimize chipping. My plan is to strip the paint off the extinguisher and leave it raw, or maybe flat black, or maybe a different tank all together....

I got lucky with that purple paint. I have some purple Hippy Killer grips to match.

I am going to the Long Beach swap Sunday. Hopefully I can find the last few missing links to finish off the old 45, and get cracking on the sporty again.

As far as the tail light; I had to look at the picture to see what you meant. I laughed when I saw the placement of the lamp in the background looks like a tail light. But now you have me thinking...