PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas of getting the chrome off my valve cover?

NHMike
11-28-2009, 9:45 AM
The valve cover for my 750 is totally thrashed. The chrome is way too far gone so I'm going to take it off and either re-chrome or powdercoat. I have access to a sandblast unit at work but it doesn't seem to be taking it off. I know I'm doing it correctly I just don't know if the grit is enough to remove it so I figured I'd see what you guys do. It got off the lose stuff but the "intact" chrome isn't giving way. Do I NEED to get it all off if I'm powdercoating? TIA!

TheDemon
11-28-2009, 10:29 AM
From what other have told me the part getting PC'd needs to be spotless otherwise the powder won't stick to that particular spot (just like regular paint). I took the chrome off a used thunder header I bought with a wirewheel and some elbow grease, if you have a grinder just throw one in and go at it. I'm sure there is some sort of acid or other chemicall to get the chrome off, maybe other will chime in on that front.

DeeBee
11-30-2009, 1:59 AM
I have seen roughed up chrome powdercoated on a wheel. but I think you would want the surface as uniform as possible. Can you sand it off with some fine grit paper?

73Harley
11-30-2009, 3:07 AM
chrome can be taken off with either a polishing wheel or a fibre paint pad remover/preparer that attaches to a pistol drill, if you use the latter then its a breeze.

Oh and the surface does not have to be super smooth if your going the powdercoat route.

NHMike
11-30-2009, 6:35 AM
chrome can be taken off with either a polishing wheel or a fibre paint pad remover/preparer that attaches to a pistol drill, if you use the latter then its a breeze.

Oh and the surface does not have to be super smooth if your going the powdercoat route.

Cool man, thanks. I actually have a bunch of those pads around the shop.

73Harley
11-30-2009, 10:35 AM
no problem :0)

framus
11-30-2009, 1:07 PM
I've always used a wire wheel on a bench grinder. Scotchbrite discs on a pnumatic angle grinder also do the trick.