PDA

View Full Version : Decisions?!

Cajones
02-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Hola! I have been saving up and saving up and now have money to do a chop and now I am stuck between an aftermarket frame or a weld on? What are the pros and cons to each? Like with a title and what not. I live in Cali by the way. I really want to go the avenue of a donor bike and an after market frame but would I get in any sort of trouble for doing that? Thanks.:confused:

ARBY
02-03-2012, 7:04 AM
Hola! I have been saving up and saving up and now have money to do a chop and now I am stuck between an aftermarket frame or a weld on? What are the pros and cons to each? Like with a title and what not. I live in Cali by the way. I really want to go the avenue of a donor bike and an after market frame but would I get in any sort of trouble for doing that? Thanks.:confused:

No, no trouble with an aftermarket so long as you don't do like some and stamp stock numbers on the frame, or graft the neck from one frame to the other. You have to register it as an assembled from parts bike, no brand.

Cajones
02-03-2012, 8:24 AM
What if I want to keep it titled as a Harley davidson?

Meattruck138
02-03-2012, 9:23 AM
Then put a weld on rear, that way the frame #'s are stil the same. Cheaper insurance too than SPCN title.

ThatdamnRocknRoll
02-03-2012, 10:39 AM
What are some other pros and cons of each? For example: I was always under the impression that a weld on sat weird and that it was just easier to get a new frame. Yes / no?

ibuiltmine
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
What are some other pros and cons of each? For example: I was always under the impression that a weld on sat weird and that it was just easier to get a new frame. Yes / no?

maybe if an idiot welded it. Its just metal. you can do anything you want with it. Make it look anyway you want.
there is no diference between a full frame and a stock frame other then the way the components fit together. you can stretch, chop, short, long, fat, skinny anything.
What the diference between cutting the frame behind the motor andcuttingit behind the forks? its still cutting it.

Why the fuck can the hot rod guys build a BRAND NEW 20's model T with a tube frame, 9 inch rear, disk brakes, and a blown big block, but we cant fucking junk the factory shit tubing and rebuilt it with stronger DOM and a hard tail?

This is the kind of shit that you DO and just shut the fuck up about because on the internet it is one of the biggest controversies. Everyone does it. Everyone has always done it. Everyone will keep doing it.

DILhackCHOP
02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
I live in oregon and i know of one VERY friendly and helpful DMV so its probably different but i went in and told them that the old frame was old and rusty and needed work and that all i had really done was swap the frame and more or less restoration. my bike is titled as a 1979 Harley Davidson and branded as a replica with a flyrite VIN

ibuiltmine
02-03-2012, 12:40 PM
I live in oregon and i know of one VERY friendly and helpful DMV so its probably different but i went in and told them that the old frame was old and rusty and needed work and that all i had really done was swap the frame and more or less restoration. my bike is titled as a 1979 Harley Davidson and branded as a replica with a flyrite VIN

thats awesome. you know, now that i think of it thats basically how a car is d one here.

DILhackCHOP
02-03-2012, 3:30 PM
yea but in order to do a restoration you have to have an original vehicle AND original TITLE to be restoring and then title new frame and new parts of that vehicle...... so if you have an original frame then you can just hard tail it or sell it after you liscence the new one.

some1else
02-03-2012, 4:02 PM
weld on .if you're close to indian slim ,he's the man