PDA

View Full Version : Sporty shocks question

Pantsbeer
11-25-2009, 12:57 AM
So I have an 88 sporty that I've been messing around with and trying to make it my own/look cool. I really want to hartail it but do to lack of funds and a fucked up back I decided to make it a cool little swinger. I'm not a fan of the stock shocks and have been wnating to get some of those cool covered/ chrome shocks. I bought a pair on ebay last week and went to put them on my bik today only to find out they wont work. The mounting holes are bigger and wider than the stock shocks. I thought they cam off an old ironhead but not to sure. My question is did I get the wrong ones? Is there a type that will justbolt up and I bought them from the wrong model or are the mounting bolts that different on an ironhead? If some of you out there ca help me with some guidance and steer me in the right direction or give me an easy quick fix I would much appreciate it.

Pantsbeer
11-25-2009, 12:59 AM
I can post pics of both if that would help also. Just let me know thanks.

svwannabe
11-25-2009, 7:17 AM
I know newer sporty shocks work on your 88, i have nightster shocks on my 89. I know road king shocks fit too. Can you just switch out the rubbers and the metal slides for your old stock shocks on to the ironhead shocks???

MotorCityOutlaw
11-25-2009, 8:51 AM
I they should fit, I know when you buy like the Progressive Shocks they come with several different insert/spacers for different years. I might even have some laying around. I can look when I get home.

wickedblockhead
11-25-2009, 9:23 AM
I bought a set of 10 1/2" shocks for my fxd and the holes were too big. So i found some tube that was the right I.D. and flapper-wheeled the outside until it fir in the old hole. I eventuallt took the shocks off and went with some air shocks for my fat ass. I still have them if you need something. I cant remember if the sporty shock studs are bigger than fxd's.

Metalismo
11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Press out the rubber grommets with the metal liners that come in your stock shocks and see if they press into the shocks you bought. I made the same swap on my 66 sporty and that’s what I had to do to get some 11 inch FL shocks to work. Good luck!

Pantsbeer
11-26-2009, 3:41 AM

This is what I'm working with. Even if I pressed out the bushings the old bushings wouldnt fit I would have to make new ones. Plus the mounts (sorry if wording is wrong I'm still learning) are a bit bigger than my old ones which means I dont have that much thread sticking out of my stud. Can I change that shit out? Like I said I'm still learning and need some advice. IOf I had the tools I could always make new mounts on the bike but all I have is a shitty flux mig and dont trust that enough for something that crucial. Please anymore suggestions would help. I've been wantin these shocks for a while now and would like to mount them asap.

Pantsbeer
11-26-2009, 3:43 AM
I they should fit, I know when you buy like the Progressive Shocks they come with several different insert/spacers for different years. I might even have some laying around. I can look when I get home.

That would be great. If that would solve the problem that would be cool.

MotorCityOutlaw
11-27-2009, 9:45 AM
That would be great. If that would solve the problem that would be cool.

Hey man sorry I looked the ones that fit those years I don't have. The only other thing I would say is try using the stock spacers and grommets also. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

svwannabe
11-27-2009, 9:56 AM
If i were you i would just try and sell them and buy some road king shocks, they look kinda of similar being a covered shock. Plus those shocks you have are gonna lift your bike up by the looks of how much longer they are....

Pantsbeer
11-27-2009, 11:07 PM
The stock shocks are adjustable and are adjusted all the way down which is bad cause my seat pan hits my tire(no rear fender). I'll try making a new bushing for it and maybe a new nut for the stud. Thanks for the input everyone and thanks for looking motorcity.