PDA

View Full Version : 1200 Sports

CravenMoorhead
11-24-2009, 3:42 PM
How many 1200 Sports are out there? I picked this one up site unseen in a trade to chop, it has 3200 miles on it and I did not have the hart to cut it up. Removed 20# of bolt on crap, bobbed the rear fender put some super bars on along with a 2 into 1and made a solo seat. Came stock with floating triple discs, F/R three way adjustable suspension and lightning heads. There is still more to be done waiting on some parts. Should produce aprox 70hp at 470#.

imtheslime
11-24-2009, 4:14 PM
What year is that? I have a book that has numbers up to 83. Check out this site they have them to present I believe. Click year, should find production numbers next to model.
http://www.sportster.org/history/

CravenMoorhead
11-24-2009, 5:04 PM
Thanks for that link, mine is a 96.

imtheslime
11-24-2009, 6:35 PM
No problem. Sorry it doesn't show numbers for your bike.

blacklistVISUAL
11-24-2009, 6:41 PM
I can't answer your question, but I will toss it out there that if you ever wanna lose that rear suspension, sell it to me --- I'm lookin' for a set of 1200s gas charged shocks right now...

onigoroshi
11-25-2009, 8:16 PM
I have an '02, it's a lane-splitting monster.

Your model has single plug heads, as opposed to 98+ that came dual-plugged. Not sure if there is a HP difference but they went to dual-plugs to fix some air/gas flow issues with the lightning heads.

CravenMoorhead
11-25-2009, 8:43 PM
I have an '02, it's a lane-splitting monster.

Your model has single plug heads, as opposed to 98+ that came dual-plugged. Not sure if there is a HP difference but they went to dual-plugs to fix some air/gas flow issues with the lightning heads.

That is correct, I was told some guys are actually running just the single plug on the dual set up more like the Buell Lightning and are getting better performance. I changed my exhaust and plan on changing my air intake so this one will go on the dynojet in spring and get proper jetting for the new set up. I was told it should be in the range of 70 hp, enough to hurt myself. I have also been working with the suspension and have made big strides in ride quality I had a friend ride it also before and after and he could not believe the difference the suspension tuning has made in ride quality and my tires are shot.

onigoroshi
11-25-2009, 8:51 PM
that would be easy to do and solve the coil relocation problem, are they doing it for performance or because their OEM ignition died? have you seen dyno results?

CravenMoorhead
11-26-2009, 9:07 AM
that would be easy to do and solve the coil relocation problem, are they doing it for performance or because their OEM ignition died? have you seen dyno results?

They are doing for performance reasons, I saw some one relocate the coil to the horn mount I was considering doing the same. I have not seen the dyno pull sheets but was told 70 hp was the result with the pipe and carb work. I will ask for the sheets from the work done on mine when its complete and publish what we get.

suckaduckpunk1
11-26-2009, 11:06 PM
poor mans FXR
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd188/suckaduckpunk/helmets/sporty.jpg