PDA

View Full Version : evo w/a 4spd

chuckie
11-24-2009, 1:43 PM
Why do some guys run a 4 spd with an evo instead of a 5 spd? pros & cons? personal preference perhaps...I myself have only ever ridden a 5 spd so I'm just curious, thanks.

theMule
11-24-2009, 2:22 PM
well for a ground up build tossing a 4spd together would probably be a cheaper option, plus i've always been told that when running an open belt primary a 4spd's case is strong enough to not need an inner primary, just a bearing support, whereas the 5spd case would fail under that kinda stress.

JPWilliams
11-24-2009, 6:36 PM
I would think pirce and availability mainly, but strength with an open belt may be part of it, too. The first year softail evo had a four speed, but pretty much everything else is 5 sp with evo.

What does the case on a shovelhead 5 speed(from FLT or FXR) look like and mount like?

northeasteric
11-24-2009, 10:56 PM
my 87 xlh is a 4 speed, not a big deal for me because i ride mostly in the city.

kickcurserepeat
11-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Why do some guys run a 4 spd with an evo instead of a 5 spd? pros & cons? personal preference perhaps...I myself have only ever ridden a 5 spd so I'm just curious, thanks.

Cost was a small factor for me, but the bigger factor was the fact that I wanted a kick only. Yeah, I could buy a 5 speed with a kicker and cut the starter ear off, but I dig the look of a 4 speed and mine has been easy to work on.

Now, the more important question is why in the heck did I go with an evo? Still not sure. I got a great deal on mine (just over 2k new) but I'd still really like to have a shovel.

dirtyhippy
12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
see no evo hear no evo catch no evo. evo's fuckin rule. i love all of em pans knucks flats and shovels even twinkies, but an evo is not inferior in any sense ,4spd or 5spd in a light chop either one works well, you still end up 1:1 in high gear . peace

wickedblockhead
12-04-2009, 1:32 PM
amen

Toecutterp
12-05-2009, 2:33 AM
Because their retarted and want to go slow. Bring it on tell me i'm wrong. Its easy to make a 4 speed into a jockey shift.