PDA

View Full Version : Welding Helmet

Carman34L
01-19-2012, 3:14 PM
So, I need a new welding helmet . I really don't want to spend $300 either. I do want a good auto darkening glass one though.

Recommendations?

OakBehringer
01-19-2012, 3:21 PM
So, I need a new welding helmet . I really don't want to spend $300 either. I do want a good auto darkening glass one though.

Recommendations?

I have one of these Miller Pro-Hobby models:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/welding_protection/head_face/helmets/pro-hobby/

I'm a beginning TIG Welder and I find it to be comfortable and work great. I think you can find them for about $125-$150.

Shovelzilla
01-19-2012, 3:24 PM
I have one of these Miller Pro-Hobby models
I have one too,their good hoods but they dont have a grind mode and being in a welding class it gets aggrovating cause i gotta keep switching back and forth to glasses. I hate to say it but Harbor freights hoods are decent,and the lifetime warranty's a plus.Sometimes you can find good deals on Egay if you still want a Miller,Lincoln,or Speedglas.

cstafford
01-19-2012, 3:44 PM
I use a Harbor Freight auto. Was skeptical at first but has proved its worth for me.

Carman34L
01-19-2012, 3:44 PM
Good stuff, thanks guys.

I was a little apprehensive about the harbor freight stuff. I will head over there tonight and check out what they have. Otherwise, I found the Miller Blue Heat one for under $100

Thanks!

Welderjosh
01-19-2012, 7:52 PM
Get the Miller. You won't regret it.

mikeyfrombc
01-19-2012, 9:52 PM
check out METALMAN helmets ,the guys at the depot told me they are ex Miller guys who started their own line of helmets and such

MercuryMoto67
01-19-2012, 10:49 PM
I use the cheapest helmet shell I could find. Its super light and has a huge screen. I also put a gold lense in it. Its super clear. Not auto though. But I prefer that now. I had a Miller Elite and it was nice while it lasted, but once the lense goes bad, thats it. It only worked for me for about 3 years. I was expecting more out of a $300 hood.

CMA406
01-19-2012, 11:44 PM
I have a speedglas, fancy one. Way more than I need but im paranoid about my eyes and it also has a grind mode, etc. I got it for pretty cheap on cyberweld.com. What I think is nice is when im in the shop it serves as a overall shield for whatever. ITs big enough for me to see what im doing when marking/tacking/grinding and im not always flipping it up down up down. I just rock it down for a extended period of time, spaceman style...

Tito
01-20-2012, 1:53 AM
My Harbor Freight auto-dark one is going on 7 years now. The helmet itself is cracked, the lens is pitted and scratched, but it still flashes dark just as quick as day one. Once it goes out, I may spend a bit more and get one that's a little more comfortable.

MetulMunky
01-20-2012, 3:54 AM
i have been metal fabricating for a living for at least 12 years now, and i have never found myself in so much of a hurry that i cant pull my hood off and put my safety glasses on. i have a $380 miller big window elite...i have had 3 of them to be exact and never used the grind mode on any of them.

for years i even built heavy walled wrought iron fences for a construction co. doing up to 2000 one inch welds a day. and then go home and fabricate off road trucks. ( however the auto darkening is handy when doing intermitant short welds).

just never understood the grind cut mode crap

i still prefer my strait dark hood with a gold lens over any of them

ARBY
01-20-2012, 6:50 AM
I want one that looks like the Iron Man helmet !!!!

blackout
01-20-2012, 7:09 AM

that would be bad ass. i went to school with a kid who was a bad ass fab atrist and he made a predator mask welding helmet. i wish i had a pic of that.

i am using a northern tool helmet right now best one i have ever had was one i got at harbor freight.

cros36
01-20-2012, 7:56 AM

we have some of these at school, gay as fuck, but super comfy. i think we got them for free or something.

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2010/09/01/iron-man-inspired-solar-powered-welding-helmet_Fjh46_11446.jpg

Carman34L
01-20-2012, 8:09 AM
Hmm.. I need a Darth Vader one.

LDNCLR
01-20-2012, 5:32 PM
if you are going to be doing tig, get one with multiple sensors for the auto dark trigger.
I was happily using the harbor freight hood with the mig but kept blocking the sensor when I started learning to tig. Now using the miller elite....love it.

mikeyfrombc
01-20-2012, 6:59 PM

i hear ya i use a Miller MP10 with a #10 gold lens it,s the same helmet as the Elite just fitted with a passive lense , i use this exclusively when Tig welding , for Mig i use a Miller Elite ,but am currently looking for a helmet with a different tint shade , not a fan of green i can,t read the puddle as well

MetulMunky
01-20-2012, 7:49 PM
i hear ya i use a Miller MP10 with a #10 gold lens it,s the same helmet as the Elite just fitted with a passive lense , i use this exclusively when Tig welding , for Mig i use a Miller Elite ,but am currently looking for a helmet with a different tint shade , not a fan of green i can,t read the puddle as well

yeah, i shattered the screen on one of my big window elites, retrod it to a dark with gold lens= best hood ever. then i was a nice guy and gave it to one of my buddies

asiantony
01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
I've used a harbor freight one for a year now. $39 and no problems? easy decision...

CMA406
01-22-2012, 12:00 PM
i have been metal fabricating for a living for at least 12 years now, and i have never found myself in so much of a hurry that i cant pull my hood off and put my safety glasses on. i have a $380 miller big window elite...i have had 3 of them to be exact and never used the grind mode on any of them.

for years i even built heavy walled wrought iron fences for a construction co. doing up to 2000 one inch welds a day. and then go home and fabricate off road trucks. ( however the auto darkening is handy when doing intermitant short welds).

just never understood the grind cut mode crap

Im sure you fabricate more than me, but my speedglas has a big obvious button on the inside. When i put the torch down and get out the grinder I just tap that, and it switches to the "grind" lense and wont darken. Pretty dam simple. Not neccesary, but I use the feature. And the headgear is comfy as shit.

Grtdane99
01-22-2012, 1:52 PM
I bought a RHINO off of ebay a couple of weeks ago.. it has a big viewing area and it rated for tig.. like i said ive only had it a few weeks but ive been happy so far. It was about a hundred bucks

ibuiltmine
01-22-2012, 2:10 PM
I have a speedglas, fancy one. Way more than I need but im paranoid about my eyes and it also has a grind mode, etc. I got it for pretty cheap on cyberweld.com. What I think is nice is when im in the shop it serves as a overall shield for whatever. ITs big enough for me to see what im doing when marking/tacking/grinding and im not always flipping it up down up down. I just rock it down for a extended period of time, spaceman style...

Speedglas is awesome. I learned with a cheapo double size, and found an autodarkening insert for it a while ago, but its really heavy. That Speedglas is the best one they make right now, and it balanced perfect. I put headgear from a top of the line Lincoln hood in it because its better stuff, and its smooth, has dual sensors so it never flashes you when your at weird angles, light weight, has a cool breath vent system that keeps the screen from fogging up. They design the hoods to protect the electronics, too. I have dropped mine off a two story tall Haul truck, hitting rafters, come alongs, toolboxes, etc the whole way down, and not more then a scratch on it. Replacement protective screens are cheap, too.

cros36
01-22-2012, 8:41 PM
i just picked this one up. fucking super stoked to use it.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af271/cros36/stuff/facemask.jpg

TheElement
01-22-2012, 10:19 PM
i have used an ArcOne Carerra everyday for about a year, and i have no complaints. Great helmet for the money. I like it because it has an excellent grind mode

southerniron
01-22-2012, 10:28 PM
i got a harbor freight helmet on my 4th one , hahahahaha fuck it , its confortable,light weight,and protects my eyes ....i just cant bring myself to buy a 300 dollar plus helmet , i have better shit to spend my money on hahaha ....i did have a really nice freebie helmet from esab , but took a shit on me 6 months down the road . and if i had paid for that i would have shit a brick ..

ChopperTy
01-22-2012, 10:54 PM
i got a harbor freight helmet on my 4th one , hahahahaha fuck it , its confortable,light weight,and protects my eyes ....i just cant bring myself to buy a 300 dollar plus helmet , i have better shit to spend my money on hahaha ....i did have a really nice freebie helmet from esab , but took a shit on me 6 months down the road . and if i had paid for that i would have shit a brick .. YOUR EYES ARE IRREPLACEABLE!!!U ONLY GET ONE SET ! if u do use a cheap hood like the h.f. ones! im not gonna knock it ,u should go in for an eye exam at least once a year! especially if u love to weld!its good to know you can see ! so you can weld! i use a miller elite series ..or something like that its great and is got variable shades,grind mode....its sweet.. i got it years ago! used from some guy,bought a new shell for like 25 bux orso....newww!the lense is what u r paying for not the look of the hood

ChopperTy
01-22-2012, 10:58 PM
i just picked this one up. fucking super stoked to use it.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af271/cros36/stuff/facemask.jpg

i alwys loved the one they had posted up in school!!it was a guy with a paperplate taped to his hat safety glasses on and a apron on!!!!that shit was hillarious:clap for you:

ChopperTy
01-22-2012, 10:59 PM
oh yaeh it sid something like!! " can i use my own stuff" lol:clap for you:

Shovelzilla
01-23-2012, 7:41 AM
and i have never found myself in so much of a hurry that i cant pull my hood off and put my safety glasses on
but my speedglas has a big obvious button on the inside. When i put the torch down and get out the grinder I just tap that, and it switches to the "grind" lense and wont darken. Pretty dam simple. Not neccesary, but I use the feature
Its not that im impatient with what im doing,but when your in a strict safety enviroment and theres 20 other people in classs theres a line to use everything,meaning i usually have to go to my toolbag on the other side of the shop and hope that the guy behind me isnt a asshole and lets me back in.So for me the grind mode,torch mode,ect. just makes things alot easier.

moespeeds
01-23-2012, 7:57 AM
I use a Radnor 54vi and I love it. I used a few cheapo's at first but finally spent the bucks to get a good one. 5x4 viewing window, and it has sensors along the top and bottom of the glass so you don't get flashed while welding inside frames and shit. It has a grind mode but I never use it. It's also got a seperate glass plate in front of the darkening glass so you can just replace that when it gets scratched up. I think I paid around $200? Got one on clearance last year.

ibuiltmine
01-23-2012, 10:04 AM
if you are going to be doing tig, get one with multiple sensors for the auto dark trigger.
I was happily using the harbor freight hood with the mig but kept blocking the sensor when I started learning to tig. Now using the miller elite....love it.

exactly. I didnt realize how much my old hood flashed me until I got my Speedglass with the multiple sensors.

Jinkzd
01-23-2012, 1:52 PM
YOUR EYES ARE IRREPLACEABLE!!!U ONLY GET ONE SET ! if u do use a cheap hood like the h.f. ones! im not gonna knock it ,u should go in for an eye exam at least once a year! especially if u love to weld!its good to know you can see ! so you can weld! i use a miller elite series ..or something like that its great and is got variable shades,grind mode....its sweet.. i got it years ago! used from some guy,bought a new shell for like 25 bux orso....newww!the lense is what u r paying for not the look of the hood

Get the best lense you can afford. Take care of your eyes. I lost the vision in my left eye a couple years ago and I can't use a cheap lense anymore, it's just too hard to read the puddle. I never gave much thought to how important a quality hood was until I had to rely on one to help me out. It makes a world of difference, especially if your eyes arent in top shape. You won't be sorry you spent the money in the long run.