PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay Area / Walnut Creek?

OakBehringer
01-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Can anyone give me some info on life in this area? My girlfriend has a job opportunity and we're considering the move from Chicago. I'm worried about finding an apt/house (rental) with a garage to move my "shop" into. My shop consists of a standard size craftsman toolbox (the tall type on wheels), a drill press, grinder, buffer, some shelves, a couple tables, a few bikes, TIG welder (Diversion 165, not a big one), etc. Right now I have half of a two car garage and it's just enough space for me. Need to spend ~$1600/mo or less, two bedroom. Will this be feasible?

Thanks,
Adam

ediv
01-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Hey Adam,

Space is goanna be tight in San Fran, so two bedroom with a healthy sized garage for $1600 doesn't seem too likely to me. As for Walnut Creek, well...I'm guessing that's where your gf's job is because I'm not sure of any other reason why you'd want to live there haha. Its nice enough there, but its basically just suburban sprawl--and from my understanding its pretty pricey there too since its where the yuppies live. To be fair though, most my experience with Walnut Creek is driving past it.

Most people don't consider Oakland when considering moving to the bay, but I lived there for 3 years and loved it. It gets a bad rap, but its a great little city that's going through a sort of revival. Its got a very cool, laid back, youthful vibe these days. Check out the Grandlake neighborhood right in the vicinity of Lake Merrit (where I lived), or maybe Temescal (where I knew a lot of folks who rented houses).

cHiCoD
01-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Walnut Creek = Watch out for there Gestapo cops.
seriously.

Oakland = +1

lived on the border of Oakland/Berkely by the Mcarthur Bart Station,off of Telegraph Ave.. loved it.
great place imo.

if her job is in W.C,the commute isn't that long. hop on the freeway,go through the caldacott tunnel and another 10 miles or so,your at the eagles nest. AKA Walnut Creek.

OakBehringer
01-05-2012, 5:32 PM
Thanks for the replies... thanks a lot. Pretty much what I expected to hear based on Internet research.

I lived in Los Angeles for three years, moved back to Chicago maybe four years ago, so I've gotten used to the high cost of living in the past. Los Angeles has more space than San Fran, though. I know (obviously) that San Fran has no space, but I wasn't sure if this extended out to its suburbs. Sounds like it does.

Any opinions of San Ramon, Danville, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Clayton or Concord? I haven't had a chance to research these areas yet, but her brother (who lives in WC, coincidentally) recommended them.

Thanks,
Adam

cHiCoD
01-05-2012, 5:36 PM
Danville + super EXPENSIVE
San Ramon + somewhat expensive,but maybe affordable

Martinez + i like it,but i like ghetto

ridemore16
01-05-2012, 7:44 PM
I lived in Danville, but it was when I was a kid so I can't offer too much advice. Over the holidays I was talking with my Dad and he mentioned that there is NO WAY he could afford to live there now. We looked up the house we lived in and the real estate market had gone CRAZY.

Ironically, we moved from Danville to Chicago (I'm in the South now). Good luck on whatever you decide...I'm jealous!!!!

elTee
01-05-2012, 8:22 PM
Richmond's nice this time of year....
Just kidding, used to be the murder capital or some shit like that! I grew up out in Antioch, don't move there either. Sorry i'm no help I hate the Bay as much as LA...over priced and fucked traffic. Good luck w/ the house search though.

OakBehringer
01-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks again to everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. What's Clayton like? They seem to have some reasonable places to rent.

ScottB
01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Lived in Concord for about five years, recently. Pretty OK, just suburban. On the BART line at least.

Clayton seemed like an odd spot. Just not much there, it seemed

Walnut Creek is kind of like a mall city. Like living at a shopping mall.

I also really like Martinez.

If I was headed back, I would probably look to live in Oakland/Alameda.

I would also say that living sorta close to a BART station is recommended. Makes it very convenient to get in to SF, if you are not living in SF.

RIPshitRIOT
01-12-2012, 9:01 PM
Ditto what everyone else has said. A lot of places that have a bad reputation for being ghettos around here aren't that bad, though (Oakland, Vallejo, Antioch, etc.). I live in the City, and had to move in to a house with 4 other room mates to have a big enough garage. The suburban spots are gonna be a little more expensive, but you'll have more "personal space".

A major upside is that there is fuckin' great riding around here.

LRChops
01-13-2012, 1:39 AM
Bleeding heart left wing liberals galore! Chaps are the flavor of the day!

OakBehringer
01-17-2012, 4:44 PM
Bleeding heart left wing liberals galore! Chaps are the flavor of the day!

Bleh, doesn't get much more LEFT than Chicago.

rdrdave
02-10-2012, 5:59 PM
I lived/raised in Oakland, it has its parts. I currently live in San Leandro, neighboring city to Oakland. You can find a nice place for rent there. It's on the freeway line, BART is close, and you're not to far from SF. It's quiet enough to have a nice evening but close enough to disturbing the peace. Good luck on your search.

OakBehringer
07-09-2012, 4:39 PM
Just wanted to report back and say thanks to everyone for the tips. Ended up getting a nice little house in Southwest Berkeley. Riding around here definitely rocks, I can get from the ocean to a bird's eye view in a few minutes. Killer.

http://www.hellsbananas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/20120708-141409.jpg

http://www.hellsbananas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/20120708-141111.jpg

Can't wait to get the new garage set up... still unpacking boxes in the house though... priorities.

dougt
07-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Looks like you found "the wall". Great view.
I hope to run into you around the east bay.
I'm in Walnut Creek. Land of crappy cops, corporate parties, and the biggest mall I've ever seen.

24Cycles
07-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Im in the area at least once a month or more. Family in Almaden SJ, Mill Valley, Petaluma and Sac. If I could pack up and move I would be living in Roseville, South Tahoe or Petaluma right now!
Hit up Kris from BeerBreed on here. He just relocated in same area from here in San Diego.

OakBehringer
07-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Looks like you found "the wall". Great view.
I hope to run into you around the east bay.
I'm in Walnut Creek. Land of crappy cops, corporate parties, and the biggest mall I've ever seen.

My girlfriend's brother lives in WC or Pleasant Hill or something, so I actually get up in that area fairly often. I'm usually drinking when I'm up there, and with her, so the moto usually gets left behind (I don't have the best seat for two-up riding and she can't drive the bike home when I'm too hammed). If you see a black Cherokee driving around with Chuch of Chopper stickers 'n shit, flag me down.

http://www.hellsbananas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/20120402-081032.jpg

Im in the area at least once a month or more. Family in Almaden SJ, Mill Valley, Petaluma and Sac. If I could pack up and move I would be living in Roseville, South Tahoe or Petaluma right now!
Hit up Kris from BeerBreed on here. He just relocated in same area from here in San Diego.

Petaluma! I'm hoping to get my hands on an old air cooled VW, I've noticed quite a bit of them for sale in that area at good prices. Funny you bring it up.

gonzoguilt
11-15-2012, 2:20 PM
Old thread but hey, I gotta try.

Any of you Oakland fellas going to the Rezillos show tonight?