PDA

View Full Version : Bent Rim Can I Ride it.

goodcitizen
12-31-2011, 5:23 PM
Just got a rim I wanted to use on a project bike. Took it home and then notice a few spokes were a little loose. After inspecting the hell out of it, only one side of the rim is a little bent. I would have never notice if it wasnt for the loose spokes.

SOOOOOO can I pop a tire on this bad boy and ride it, or will have to buy a new rim.

junkyardjon
12-31-2011, 6:03 PM
bent where? if it's just the lip it should be fine.
if the rim it's self is bent, it will wobble like a fat chick leaving the bar, all fucked up and getting her some

goodcitizen
12-31-2011, 6:19 PM
HAAAAAA, umm i am pretty sure its just the lip. Because i can only notice it on the drivers side. The Other side is a perfect circle. I am going to take the tire off tomorrow and get a closer look.

24beers
12-31-2011, 9:52 PM
You should be able to get it re rolled or straightened.
Ask some questions at your local moto cross shop or road racing club

swinewerx
01-03-2012, 5:25 AM
For my amen rigid, it had a very bent front rim, since it is spokes, I adjusted the spokes and get it pretty much almost perfect!!! I had my doubts but then, as I was adjusting, it all started to straighten out, and I kept on doing it, till it was akl the way adjusted !!!!

dazegoneby
01-03-2012, 7:41 AM
little bent ok,,,,,,,, bad bent, not a good thing

Demoto
01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Get it trued at a good shop, and don't take it over 100 mph.

KsDtoday
01-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Get it trued at a good shop, and don't take it over 100 mph.

Yeah fo real!!!

Building a bike for cheap, thats cool. Being a cheap ass aint cool. It will just get you killed or cost you more in the long run.

goodcitizen
01-04-2012, 1:29 PM
Totally, I will take it to a shop and have them take a gander. I cant jump the grand canyon with the speed wobbles.

ThePete
01-04-2012, 1:43 PM
A good wheelsmith might be able to get the wobbles out but at what cost? Spoked wheels are part science and 100% craftsmanship but I don't care how good the wheelsmith is if some part of the wheel is crap then the whole thing is crap. If it were me I'd true it up as best I could then start looking for a new rim to lace up and swap it out as quickly as I could. Depending on how bad the rim is it might be just a matter of hitting a bump on the right spot at the right angle at the wrong time to cause failure.

dirtbag
01-04-2012, 1:45 PM
I cant jump the grand canyon with the speed wobbles.

Words to live by