PDA

View Full Version : when is it too hot to ride?

flatblack
08-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Been reading about guys avoiding the heat of day and riding at night. Never have that problem here in Michigan. Just how hot it too hot for riding. I may be moving to New Mexico someday, so a heads up on the heat would be great. Thanks.

Dave

justin666
08-04-2009, 11:22 PM
maybe when its so hot that youre flying down the highway and youve still got swamp ass

BlueCollarMoto
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Just stay around Santa Fe and you wont have any problems.

Haaaa! A few weeks ago a cop asked a few people in our group he pulled over if they had sun screen on as he was handing out the tix. Only in Ca!

Or you could stock up on this stuff. ;)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/BLUECOLLARMOTO/DSCF0410_t.jpg

WayneBallard
08-05-2009, 12:04 AM
It was 106 here in Elsinore today....So i'm guessing that would take the cake of being too hot.

Although the dry heat is 1000x better then muggy heat.

imtheslime
08-05-2009, 12:17 AM
For a native Las Vegan it's NEVER too hot...100+ degrees makes your brain all warm and fuzzy, I enjoy it, water is the key.

GreaseStain
08-05-2009, 12:44 AM
here in Texas we had a recorded 108 not long ago if i remember correctly of course we also have like 20+ days of over 100+ temp every year so its kinda no big thing , I think the main thing is getting caught up in stop and go traffic between about 230 to about 530 or 6 .. 100+ isn't a problem if you have road but if your stuck in a pack of cars not going anywhere and have martha the soccer mom blowing exhaust in your face .. it can get alittle .. tiresome , but hit some open road and its all just a faint memory 100+ or not....... but then 90 in the shade here really is a good day

Rudehog
08-05-2009, 12:55 AM
"when is it too hot to ride?"

I guess that depends on the individual.
Here in Vegas we hit temps between 110 & 120 every summer. sittin in traffic does suck when the sun is beating right down on you at stops but the roughest time I ever had was riding back from Mesquite NV to Vegas late June a cpl of yrs ago, it was about 2 pm and it hit 122 deg comin across the desert, I thought my fingers were gonna catch fire. I had to stop and buy another pair of gloves to put on top of what I had. It pretty much feels like a blow torch in your face when you are doin 70 mph in those temps.

flatblack
08-05-2009, 12:58 AM
"when is it too hot to ride?"

I guess that depends on the individual.
Here in Vegas we hit temps between 110 & 120 every summer. sittin in traffic does suck when the sun is beating right down on you at stops but the roughest time I ever had was riding back from Mesquite NV to Vegas late June a cpl of yrs ago, it was about 2 pm and it hit 122 deg comin across the desert, I thought my fingers were gonna catch fire. I had to stop and buy another pair of gloves to put on top of what I had. It pretty much feels like a blow torch in your face when you are doin 70 mph in those temps.

Call me crazy, but that sounds like a blast to me!

XbrooklynX
08-05-2009, 2:00 AM
I never know whats worse on I-15 though NV... the heat or the sand hitting your face at a million miles an hour. But i do know the combo is enough to get old after about 20 mins of riding.

Shawn
08-05-2009, 1:14 PM
I don't think I have ever heard anyone say say 'it's too hot to ride'

But I do live in Canada

Magickman
08-05-2009, 1:23 PM
Been riding all summer here in Phoenix. Early mornings or evenings and like everyone said, its best to keep moving and drink plenty of water before you ride.

I have read it is best to hydrate the day before a long ride, but here in AZ you drink a ton of water daily anyway.

shiftace
08-05-2009, 1:47 PM
I'm more worried about the bike than myself. The sporty can handle the heat, the old bike can't. Road temps here hover in the 130+ range, so even at 75+ mph it's absolfuckinlutely miserable. We're on our 41st day of 100+deg temps this year with likely another 40 something to go. yeeee-haw.

jazzmans
08-05-2009, 1:54 PM
too hot to ride? Never. It's a lot nicer under 100f, however.

and I'm out. gonna go ride, 104 right now.

jaz

Wendy
08-05-2009, 2:25 PM
I'm more worried about the bike than myself. The sporty can handle the heat, the old bike can't. Road temps here hover in the 130+ range, so even at 75+ mph it's absolfuckinlutely miserable. We're on our 41st day of 100+deg temps this year with likely another 40 something to go. yeeee-haw.

Indeed.

My bike overheats with temps here in Tucson in traffic. Not to mention the "face in the oven" feeling you get just sitting there.

I rode just north of the Mexican border on Sunday in 108 degree weather. Like Eric said, your skin feels like it is gonna melt off but as long as you are moving and hydrated you are ok.

rustrocket84
08-05-2009, 2:55 PM
My balls overheat over 100 degrees, but that's because I have a diamond plate seat pan that I haven't covered. I tried pounding a seat pan or two out and never had much luck doing it. Probably more of a patience thing for me. Too hot is only bad when you are trying to make some serious time and miles. At times it feels like riding in the rain where no matter how good things go, you just can't get comfortable for more than an hour or so without a break.

dalebfast
08-05-2009, 3:08 PM
When no matter how fast you ride, all you get is hot fucking air. It's like riding in an oven. And those hot fingers? No shit! As long as the Ironhead keeps rolling, I don't worry about overheating. Fuck 'em, lane split in traffic.

Dee

mad750
08-05-2009, 3:12 PM
I never know whats worse on I-15 though NV... the heat or the sand hitting your face at a million miles an hour. But i do know the combo is enough to get old after about 20 mins of riding.

Tru dat, tru dat, but at least you know you're on two wheels. It let's you know you're alive.

DirtyPile
08-05-2009, 4:37 PM
107 here in SW Washington last week, very unusual sensation, still rode. Got kind of use to it and now I need my sweatshirt at 80. The old lady thinks it may have melted my brain.

NHMike
08-05-2009, 6:23 PM
Last summer I was rolling down to work in Ct. and I got stuck in some serious traffic. It was over 100 and the humidity was STICKY. Anyhow, with the helmet laws I had to keep the lid on and I was fuckin DYING!! Took a good hour and a half before I got moving. I was soaked with sweat. However, that being said, I can't imagine it ever being too HOT to ride...now too COLD?? There's definately a limit there. I usually ride to work until it's below 35 going to and from. Then I take the cage.

lobstermobster
08-05-2009, 7:55 PM
Here in Atlanta the hottest it gets is around 95 or so. But the humidity is what gets you. But like the others say as long as your cruisin and not stuck in traffic, it aint to bad.

philbey
08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I was working on a mine site for a bit and commuting on a chook chaser. Did a few trips home at the tail end of a 45 degree day, which is pushing 110+ fahrenheit.

It was nice in the evenings as the sun dropped off the horizon though.

onesickrace
08-05-2009, 11:25 PM
i just got the fuck out of phoenix due to the heat. 3 months of 100+ i got some medical shit that wont allow me to deal with temps like that... ill ride if its 32 or up though...

Metalismo
08-21-2009, 1:53 PM
I’ve lived in Phoenix for 24 years and ridden through every summer. Drinking water is the key. Even when I’m in my favorite dark, dank, dive bar I have a glass or two between rounds. The other key is a full face helmet with the intake and exhaust ports. Sure it’s dorky but it’s better than the hot air blasting the life outta your mugg! I’m just a tad nicer on the days I wear it compared to the days without and every little bit helps! Don’t leave home without your gloves either!

flipper
08-21-2009, 2:03 PM
well here in the northeast its been too fukin hot and humid for anything.

Kokuma
08-21-2009, 2:06 PM
120.35 deg. F. for more than 45 mins. At that temp part of the brain that controls orgasmic sensation ceases to function. I'd avoid it if I were you!

TheFishHOTW
08-21-2009, 2:23 PM
my triumph would overheat while cruisin with 100+ temp. an oil cooler would have helped but i never got around to it. be careful on the old stuff. the only thing cooling them down is air and oil. if both get too hot you will over heat. hydrated and comfortable for you or not.