PDA

View Full Version : Bird Hardtails

Abeblinkin
11-17-2009, 7:23 PM
I ended up finding a preunit for my next project. I was looking through the photodump trying to get an idea for what I want for a hardtail. I like pictures 29 (pinkish tank) and 38 ( green frame) and I like the stance these bikes have. They look like stock hardtails but I'm not sure. Does anybody have any pics of the Bird hardtails in stock size or 1-2" stretch and drop? Planning on running the preunit frontend and 18 or 19 rear wheel. I know I should just call Lowbrow but I aint got the money quite yet and I hate to waste peoples time window shopping.

Abeblinkin
11-21-2009, 10:30 PM
I guess most people are using the 4-6" over hardtails? They don't even have any pics on the lowbrow site of the shorter hardtails, maybe there is little demand/interest. Any pics with less than 4" stretch with any amount of drop?

NITRO
11-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Abe, 4 or 6" stech is by far the most common, reason being it gives you room to mount an oil bag, battery box if wanted etc and keep that clean open look, get the angle of the backbone correct etc.

Abeblinkin
11-22-2009, 1:28 AM
Yeah, they look sweet. I'm gonna run a capacitor and hopefully a pre-unit oil bag. The stock hardtails ( I assume thats what they are) have a slight bend in the backbone so I was thinking maybe just 1 or 2" would sort that out a little, but I have yet to get ahold of a picture of one of the bird ones. I think these are stock and I could totally deal with the stance and I like the oil bag I just wonder what they do with the space on the other side of the tank ( riders left).

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss290/abeblinkin/Picture2.png

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss290/abeblinkin/Picture1.png

These are chopcult pics from the photodump.

Pete
11-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Abe, since those pics are both pre-unit engines, they probably have the battery mounted on the other side of the oil tank. Although, I have seen some like this, and the other side is empty, I think they were running a battery eliminator setup???

Abeblinkin
11-22-2009, 11:46 AM
A capacitor is a battery eliminator. I guess that space could be used for a tool box of some sort.

TRUMPNUT
11-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Both those pics are stock ridgid frames . they run 6 volt batteries on the other side of the oil tank .

Abeblinkin
11-22-2009, 1:56 PM
Sweet^^ thanks for confirming that I didn't want to shell out 600 bucks and end up having to sell it after waiting 4-5 weeks. Do many people run the 6 volt battery? One more question if I put a hardtail on my 58 t110 frame will I need to run the motor mounts for the stock hardtail frame? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to the British stuff.

Abeblinkin
11-22-2009, 8:38 PM
Okay I finally figured this out I think. Stock preunit rigid frames have the seat post/tube running between the motor and the trans. If you hardtail a stock swingarm frame the seat tube will be behind the trans duh! leaving you little room for an oil tank like Kyle stated. I guess I'm gonna have to go with at least a 2" stretch and yes I will have to use the swngarm frame mounts. Only took me a 3 hours on the intrawebs looking at pictures to figure this out. hahaha

TRUMPNUT
11-22-2009, 8:56 PM
Most guy's run 6 volts on the generator models the alternator ones are easy to bump up to 12 volt .

Stock ridrigids had there own enigine plates and a specail trany . The swingarm model if hardtailed will still use the stock mounts . The early side mount oil tanks will fit with a 2" strech but they do lean back a bit and you will have to make a new feed tube .

If you have a whole S/A frame why not strutt it and make a true Era custom . They look way cooler then bolt on do !!!!!!

Abeblinkin
11-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I thought about doing the strut thing because I really like the look of those bikes but I'm just about to finish a swingarm shovel project and I would like to do a hardtail. I just don't like the look of a lot of stretch. Do you have any pics of struted swingarm preunits?

ChoppyGee
11-23-2009, 1:52 AM
haven't you heard the bird is the word?

redasphalt3
11-23-2009, 4:13 PM
why dont you buy one of trumpnuts hard tail? if hes still doing them. ive read they are 2 over and 2 drop.
adam

Abeblinkin
11-23-2009, 4:36 PM
Just looked at the Trumpnuts site thanks for the tip. They are only for unit frames. I thought I might look and see what a 2" stretch and 2" drop would look like on a unit but there's not a single triumph on their site with one on it (that I could find).

Back to the original question: Regardless of brand or style does anybody have any pics of a preunit (not a duplex) swingarm frame with a 1-2" stretch and 1-2" drop. Like a 2" stretch with no drop or a 2" stretch with 1" drop or a 2" stretch with 2" drop?

Pics anybody? I see on the Lowbrow site that David Bird makes them so I'm sure there is one out there.

TRUMPNUT
11-23-2009, 8:02 PM
Unit hard tail will go onto Preunits you just have to cut the engine cradle .

Warning !!!! Have you ever tried to remove the swing arm from a preunit ? They are a press fit and if there is any rust it's a mother fucker to remove . In order to remove you must take bike down to frame then stick it in a press to drive it out . If you just try betting it out there is a chance of twisting the frame and don't use heat unless you really know what you are doing because the swing arm mount is just sweted on .

Not trying to sound like a broken record but strutts are cool . And since you can't find pics of them that makes them even cooler ! Go down to Borders or a Barne's noble and check out a book called the "Bike Riders " you will see lots of them in there .

On my site there is a pic of my old A10 strutted and my wifes old 500 . Besides when hardtails arn't cool anymore and Cafe's are or what ever comes next you can just bolt shocks on !

Abeblinkin
11-23-2009, 8:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up trumpnut. In my searches of the intraweb I have read about the preunit swingarms being difficult to remove but I do have a press at a buddys garage I can use. Its not really rusted but I'm sure its gonna be a bitch if I go that route. Like I said I'm finishing up a swingarm bike now so its not like I just have to have a hardtail because its cool. You don't realize how much shit my buddys talked about it while I was building it especially since I have a rigid BT frame just sitting on the shelf. Now they are like you want to hardtail that preunit? why don't you build another swingarm chop? I hear you on the struts but I'd just as soon keep the shocks if I go that direction. I mean whats the point of struts you don't get the clean lines of a hardtail and you still gotta put up with "feeling the road" I'm leaning towards (or should I say back haha) to something ugly like this unit bike. Bad handling, I assume bad to run a motor at that angle and why does it
have a center stand and a kick stand neither would touch the ground.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss290/abeblinkin/tripper.jpg
Its not ugly (to me)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss290/abeblinkin/_MG_0093.jpg
here is the swingarm shovel I built in all its dirt bikeesk glory its apart now for paint hence the new project questions.

TRUMPNUT
11-23-2009, 9:13 PM
Struts were added for take off power . Shocks absorb power of the line . That is why it was done

Abeblinkin
11-23-2009, 9:52 PM
I didn't think of that good point. Kinda a race look. Gotcha