PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Austin or south texas?

ibuiltmine
12-20-2011, 6:07 PM
Someone school me on south Texas. I'm sick of Wyoming, and I want to move.
Somewhere where its warmer then wyoming. We get like 3 months out of the year that is nice out.
Our winters are brutal, and when it does decided to be summer its 100 plus every day.
If I am going ot live in 100 plus I may as well not have the 6 months of -20 and the constant 60mph wind.

SuperP
12-20-2011, 7:32 PM
I think it is the best place in the world. The nicest people and decent weather. This last year was exceptionally hot. I can't wait to move back there and will retire in the area.

inb4 Nosebleed

ibuiltmine
12-20-2011, 8:15 PM
I guess the weather, and a littel more diversity without the congestion is what Im looking for. Denver is nuts now a days. it takes my buddy 2 hours to get home, like 30 miles.

Hepcat13
12-20-2011, 8:41 PM
I love it here, but make sure you got plenty of cash. It takes a while to get established. A lot of people moving here and a lot of people moving away cause the cant afford it.

alvizo
12-20-2011, 9:28 PM
San Antonio TX 1hr from Austin

ibuiltmine
12-20-2011, 11:04 PM
What does a decent house rent for down there?
I don't suppose you have the $300 a month heating bill for 9 months out of the year?

Spade115
12-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I live in La Joya Tx, gets to 120 degrees and recently seen 40 degrees (kinda cold :/)
A buddy comes down from maine and stays at a trailer home and he loves it. I guess it really depends.

Nosebleed
12-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Central Texas is just awesome. Wife and I have lived here for about 12 years now and we can't see ourselves living anywhere else. Austin has everything that you want to do and the bike "scene" here is good all around. Tons of great roads to ride in the area, hundreds of miles to roll through the hills by yourself or with friends. The economy here is better than anywhere in the nation although living in Austin proper is more costly than living in the burbs like we do; good news is there are a lot of burbs. Austin is the capital of Texas so a lot of the State jobs are here (like mine) and there seems to be a lot of job opportunity here as well as in San Antonio, Waco and other central Texas cities.

Now, the weather in the summer is pretty brutal. We average about 30-60 days above 100 degrees here and this past year, we ran about 45 days of 104+ with high temps around 110. The goods news is that we have competitive pricing on electricity and you can get great rates. We also have a ton of lakes and rivers to play in although this year the drought emptied most of them. Weather in the winter is mild though; we usually only have a couple of mild snows each year and they only last for 3 days when they come.

Come on down and let us know when you get here. Austin has a thriving ChopCult crew and we'll buy you a beer and pour you some moonshine when you get here.

Cheers from Austin, TX -Nariz

jamesgs4
12-21-2011, 12:35 AM
What does a decent house rent for down there?
I don't suppose you have the $300 a month heating bill for 9 months out of the year?

its a 300 a month A/C bill for 9 months lol

Nosebleed
12-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Oh, and we can ride bikes pretty comfortably about 10 months out of the year here. It will be 60 degrees tomorrow, the week of Christmas. January and February are cold and yucky but if you are from Colorado you'll probably laugh at our cold. After that, it's smooth sailing until we hit the 100 degree weather in June or July and we still ride then...you just have to keep moving and stop often for water, Gatorade and/or beer!

ibuiltmine
12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Oh, and we can ride bikes pretty comfortably about 10 months out of the year here. It will be 60 degrees tomorrow, the week of Christmas. January and February are cold and yucky but if you are from Colorado you'll probably laugh at our cold. After that, it's smooth sailing until we hit the 100 degree weather in June or July and we still ride then...you just have to keep moving and stop often for water, Gatorade and/or beer!

thats whats weird about wyoming. I cant remember the last time we had a cold snowey christmas. ITs been 50 degrees out on christmas for years.

My little girl's birthday is end of january and we like to go somewhere nicer then Wyoming, so we are planning on coming down. No idea where yet, but well figure it out when we get there.
thanks for the info!

TooLoe
12-21-2011, 10:54 AM
thats whats weird about wyoming. I cant remember the last time we had a cold snowey christmas. ITs been 50 degrees out on christmas for years.

My little girl's birthday is end of january and we like to go somewhere nicer then Wyoming, so we are planning on coming down. No idea where yet, but well figure it out when we get there.
thanks for the info!

San Antoino would be a good place to take your little girl. SeaWorld/Sixflags bunch of cool stuff todo. Jobs are almost dime a dozen "IF" You go looking for them. I own my own business and work on a off shore drilling rig. The options are endless around here. it's a great place to live. I live 100+ miles north of Austin but i make it down to ride with them as much as I can. it's Dec 21st and it's 54 degrees out side. and i'm fixing to go for a ride!:cheersmate:

Hepcat13
12-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Not to steal thread, but does anyone know when the next run/event is? I need to get out and meet some like minded folks.

TooLoe
12-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Not to steal thread, but does anyone know when the next run/event is? I need to get out and meet some like minded folks.

PM nosebleed he seems to be on the up and up of events in the area. we kinda just get a mass PM when somethings going on

ibuiltmine
12-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys! I apreciate the info! and Seaworld would be AWESOME! THATN YOU! we will be going there for sure! hope the weather is good.
if any of you are on facebook look me up

ibuiltmine at gmail .com

ATXzombie
12-22-2011, 11:13 AM
austin is the only place i want to be, i grew up in miami that place is a fuckn dump.
the only thing that sucks about austin is the traffic close to downtown. dosent matter what time of day always traffic, oh yeah the liberal hippies suck too.
but there are naked chicks at barton creek all the time

RuffShod19
12-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Go check out Leakey or Bandera area. If I could make a living there, I would move!

Google the Twisted Sisters.

ibuiltmine
12-22-2011, 11:47 AM
austin is the only place i want to be, i grew up in miami that place is a fuckn dump.
the only thing that sucks about austin is the traffic close to downtown. dosent matter what time of day always traffic, oh yeah the liberal hippies suck too.

Im pretty used to the liberal hippys being close to Colorado. A tleast in Colorado they all have money, so there is some good industries that support liberal hippys ie good medical cannabis, awesome breweries, excellent food, and a bicycle shop on every other corner.

Thanks for all the views, everyone. If anyone else wants to chime in, go for it. I got a trip planned for sometime in Feb. I know its like the worse time for weather there, but that also means its worse time for weather in Wyoming, and 50 degrees and a little rain is like a summer day to me. I will have to plan on coming down in the summer, because its the heat that will do me in.

RJ85
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I lived in Wyoming for a while it is beautiful but sucks dick South austin is where its at cool people and hot ass woemen and lots of shit to do

ibuiltmine
12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I lived in Wyoming for a while it is beautiful but sucks dick South austin is where its at cool people and hot ass woemen and lots of shit to do

North east wyoming really sucks. But if your into solitude and mountains and guns and hunting and stuff then your good to go. I have my Cabin (house) in north east wyoming up in the black hills just south of Sundance about 10 miles. Its awesome, but I couldnt live there all the time. For some reason my family is happy living up in Gillette. I hated it. Bu tthen again sy step dad runs this littel company calle Cummins Rocky Mountain (sarcasm) and have more money they he knows what to do with, so all my mooching siblings get whatever they want. houses, cars, motorcycles, bills payed, everything. Thats not me. I partake in the Family cabin, but I also work my ass off to maintain it and stuff instead of just gooing up there and tripping on mushrooms with 20 other people and leaving the place in shambles.....

I would like someone to speak up that has spent time in ft collins, or boulder colorado and tell me how Austin compares to one of those places.

RJ85
12-22-2011, 3:22 PM
Cool I lived in laramie, and Ive stayed in ft.collins its cool but has nothing on austin

37Jonz
03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Man central Texas is nice and I love heading that way for a ride , but I live on the coast by Galveston and this place is just crazy loaded with bikes and biker bars . it might not be quite as cool as Austin with all the good music and night life but there is always something going on. Summers ain't that bad cuz of the Gulf breeze only a little humidity to deal with.... Overall lots of different ways to head out on a ride via the Coast, National Forest of East Texas ,rolling hills in Central Texas,or the Desert and Hill country headed west depending how far ya wanna go... Like was posted before, you cant go wrong living in Texas it's a country within a state . Live the Lonestar State of Mind..... Good luck Bro !

AngryJohnny
03-03-2012, 2:05 PM
Austin's a fun town, but their traffic sucks anymore. It's almost as bad as Dallas... and being from Wyoming, our summers are gonna be brutal on you. hell, they're brutal on us! I still ride through the summer... alot of people won't when it gets over 100 degrees...pansies.. and our climate is humid so sweating doesn't really cool you down..it just dehydrates you. I ride geared up with half helmet, leg armor under my jeans, and armored mesh jacket so it gets pretty hot, but I'm in pretty decent shape so it doesn't affect me quite so much, I think. YOu'll get used it in time. I lived in North Dakota for a couple years when I was a kid.. and after that.. I don't care how hot and humid it gets.. I'll take Texas any day!

Yeah and your AC bill will be more like $500.00 per month ..but still Texas kicks ass. YOu will love the year round riding season. I loves me some Tejas (pronounced: Tay-hoss)

JeremyResults
03-03-2012, 8:03 PM
Lived in San Antonio most my life, just moved up to Austin about three months ago. The riding weather here is insanely nice and the roads are really never ending. People here, for the most part, are pretty decent. I've been nothing but welcomed by the chopper scene in Austin. So if the common folk don't take to you at least your kind won't snub you. Haha.

There's a good amount of stuff to do here too, regardless of what you're into. Plenty of employment opportunity here, just gotta put forth the effort to find it. If you get down here, let me know. Good luck gettin over here man.

ibuiltmine
03-03-2012, 9:43 PM
Man central Texas is nice and I love heading that way for a ride , but I live on the coast by Galveston and this place is just crazy loaded with bikes and biker bars . it might not be quite as cool as Austin with all the good music and night life but there is always something going on. Summers ain't that bad cuz of the Gulf breeze only a little humidity to deal with.... Overall lots of different ways to head out on a ride via the Coast, National Forest of East Texas ,rolling hills in Central Texas,or the Desert and Hill country headed west depending how far ya wanna go... Like was posted before, you cant go wrong living in Texas it's a country within a state . Live the Lonestar State of Mind..... Good luck Bro !

for years I worked for this company Clean Harbors Environmental Services and they have a place in Deer Park. I could get a job there pretty easy..... but then I would have a job, and that would suck.
houston seems cool, but I want some place a littel smaller. I know Austin is not a littel town. Im going to go down there and hang out for a while.

Deckard43
03-04-2012, 9:16 PM
Hit me up when you get in the area. I live about 45 mins south east of houston right on the coast. Fishing and riding year round cant be beat. I will live the rest of my life in TEXAS!!! But If your gonna live here you might want to learn spanish. Just sayin.

nerdsports
03-05-2012, 1:27 PM

Miami native for 28 years and I'm ready to GTFO! My gf and I are planning on visiting Austin this year and within another year making the move (when she finishes school).

Great hearing about the bike scene over there. Miami has a bunch of old fucks in chrome dipped baggers w/ their OL wrapped in black & orange leather.