PDA

View Full Version : S&S SUPER G runs like SHIT......

crownmotorz
08-04-2009, 9:33 PM
So I have an 89 softail with a S&S Super G. it is an 80" EVO with a little bit of head work, when it gets up on the main jet it runs like a raped ape! but down on the bottom it runs stupid rich and barely idles. My other harley's have mikunis on them so i am not familiar with S&S. any info would help a lot. if i cant get it fixed i am going to put a mikuni on it but i am trying to save the money and fix the carb i got.

Walter
08-04-2009, 9:48 PM
Do you know what jets you have in there?
A Super G is a little big for that motor but it is nothing you can't "tune in"

crownmotorz
08-04-2009, 9:55 PM
dont know what jets are in there.. im so green to this whole S&S thing i dont even know how to get the jets out. I also havent look either

Walter
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Give me a second, i'll get ya sorted out...

FlashMotorWorks
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
loose the G
its WAY too big for 80" even with head work.
i drive a 80" evo every day with 2 inch intake valves and a G would still be too big to street .

ive run Gs and Ds on racing 80 " motors but they wouldnnt run right trying to put around normally. wide ass open like 5 grand they were good.

my advise is try a smaller carb like an E
you will be much more satisfied with its ride ability and still be able to haul ass.

MrCrown
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
flash is right.

get rid of that G. Even with much smaller jets, it'll still won't give you optimum performance.

the venturi is much bigger, which is required for bigger motors, which need more fuel as well.

Super E, or stock CV carb would be the way to go with an 80ci even with some port/polish,etc...

being that you're sitting somewhere with some elevation...I'd start with a .74-.76 main, and a .295 intermediate, and go from there if you do plan on swapping out to a Super E.

good luck. keep us posted.

Walter
08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Try this combo. this should fix yer problem.

Idle Mixture 1 to 11⁄2 Turns Out
Intermediate Jet .0295 to .031
Main Jet .066 to .074

You can download a pdf of the Super G manual HERE (http://www.sscycle.com/modules/instructions/index.php?z_cat=%3D&x_cat=1&Submit=Find+Instruction+Sheet). It will take you through everything.
It is a very good carb. Most guys just don't have them set up right.

Good luck.

PS Like Flash and Mr. Crown said, The E is a better way to go for your engine, but this will at least get you running better, and jets are cheaper than carbs.

MrCrown
08-04-2009, 10:48 PM
whatever you do...

when making jetting changes...don't make increases any more than 2 jet sizes...

start with 66, 68, 70, 72, 74...follow the instructions like walter said...

if I had to throw out a guess, 72 and .295 would be the ticket...maybe 74 just to keep things a tad cooler...

Rudehog
08-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Brock,thats a super "E" on there not a "G" there must be some shit in the carb. bring it by and I'll ck it for you. I know that carb inside out.

Revelator
08-05-2009, 1:06 AM
I would also recommend yanking off the "G" & slipping on an "E".

If You must run the G then my best guess would be about a 72 main, a 29.5 inter, idle screw 1.25 out,
& try leaning out the accel. pump

Also, You want good air flow into that carb. small restrictive air cleaners will yield bogus performance on a large venturi carb
such as the G. an example would be that tiny little moon equip. air cleaner.

crownmotorz
08-05-2009, 5:19 AM
see that is how green i am when it comes to S&S i bought the bike from RUDEHOG so he says its a super E so its a Super E on there. maybe i will just take it back to him and let him work his VOODOO. If it was a 42 mm mikuni flat slide i would already have had that thing in a hundred pieces on my bench and putting it back together. but i am trying to expand my knowledge and try something else. thanks for the help guys.

MrCrown
08-05-2009, 7:46 AM
the venturi on a super e, is just about the same size as a mikuni hsr42.

if its running way to rich on idle, then I would suspect a too big of a slow jet...check the f/a mix and adjust accordingly.

make sure you don't have the bowl vent plugged either...also check the float height while you're at it.

72/295 should be the ticket...but, you gotta check all the other little things too.

Toecutter
08-14-2009, 9:23 AM
Check your idle mixture screw setting. Make sure the accelerator pump is off. Here is a link to the S&S quick guide. The website has a lot of useful information.

http://www.sscycle.com/modules/tuning/index.php

dirtyd
09-19-2009, 7:41 AM
yeah A g is way too big for that motor, but the E should run great. Lets see how the voodoo goes. Keep us updated. Toecutta that is a good link man thanks . Ive always run S&S but have never quite got to guru status with the tuning on em. My boy Quasimoto down in Tejas, now that character... crazy good with jettin and tuning.

northeasteric
09-20-2009, 10:16 AM
couldn't be happier with my super E.

crownmotorz
09-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Must have been something in the float bowl. Rode it the other day and it ripped through all the gears from idle to WFO. Which is wear I like to run it.

DeathTrip
04-18-2017, 8:06 AM
Will improperly set float cause backfire and hesitation? I adjusted mine during a cleaning to seat earlier because gas was dripping through the overflow at idle. Now it starts fine, but backfires, pops, hesitation when I give it gas. Like its sucking air?

47str8leg
04-18-2017, 6:22 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak but why revive a dead almost 8 year old thread ?

DeathTrip
04-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Because its related.

pantspisser
04-19-2017, 11:56 PM
Ya man if you didn't adjust anything other than the float and just did a cleaning you probably have an intake mani leak. Torquing up these intakes is kind of a backwards process. You SHOULD have the two flanges loosely installed then install the filter back plate and bracket. This allows the carb to be properly located in its "happy spot" before you do final torque on the flanges. If you do it vise versa the flanges end up fighting the carb braket and never seal properly.

If you can get it to run: spray that manifold down with starter fluid and see if the motor responds by bogging down or Reving up. If so you didn't get that mani sealed properly.