PDA

View Full Version : 1961 triumph tr5 timing

KENNY3
12-10-2011, 2:12 AM
I have a 1961 tr5 triumph trophy. Iam trying to set the timing.i have 3 different shop manuals. That give me different info. The motor has no timing marks any where . I think i need to set the timing at 37 drgrees before top dead center.and it would be 3/8 inch of the piston from tdc.this is a unit model with a lucas distributor.does anyone know how to set the timing ?

Torch
12-10-2011, 10:20 AM
on the 500's 38 BTC because of the shorter stroke is actually .355" down from the top. And make sure you turn the advance unit in the distributor to full advance then set the points to the point where they just crack open.
I have one of those motors at the shop, I'll look at it and get back with you.

KENNY3
12-10-2011, 11:28 AM
I think in the original rotor on the charging system had the timing marks .mine has been swaped out for a 2wire lucas stator and rotor with no marks.the cams on this motor are a little different u set the valves at .010 int and .010 exhst instead of .002 and .004 like most other models.all the manuals i have are made for my bike and other models .and dont really speak to the timing of my 1961 tr5.my grandpa gave me the bike over 20 years ago. And me and him finally restored it together this past year and he was able to see it run before he died last month .my go to guy is gone. So i appreciate the help.thanx ken.