PDA

View Full Version : Chain "Slap

NHMike
11-15-2009, 8:00 AM
Got a question regarding my Kawasaki Vulcan. I've got it lowered in that back 3 1/2 inches. While I'm riding the chain hits the upper and lower sections of the frame. It gets progressively worse as I go trhough the gears, from not really any in first, to almost constant when at cruising speeds and down shifting, in fifth. The chain is in good shape and is adjusted properly. Today I'm going to try and raise the lowering up an inch to see if it helps with the geometry. I was thinking (and hoping I was wrong) that it could be some kind of tranny problem. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Prairie
11-16-2009, 8:58 AM
You most likely need a chain tensioner. When you extend the chain length, you change the geometry of the wheel to the gear and the chain flops around. A chain tensioner will solve that. You can make one out of a skateboard wheel or folks make them for like $80. They also make them both weld on and bolt on.

NHMike
11-16-2009, 9:03 AM
Yeah, was thinking about going that way. I ended up lifting the rear about an inch and tightening the chain. The chain is in DIRE need of replacement. It was missing a good amount of the bushings. Fuck it, I still went riding yesterday, hahahaha.

Thanks, I think over the winter I'm going to drop it down again and do some tensioners.