PDA

View Full Version : Lowes or Home Depot Parts...

xharleyx
08-04-2009, 6:45 PM
well not all of us are lucky enough to live where parts are in abundance, and homemade stuff is the best, so what are some cool finds or mods that a person can get supply's for anywhere?

I'm a big fan of the ol' gas pipe struts

http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/1000/234/1558.jpg

Halwade
08-04-2009, 8:38 PM
... and I am a fan of shaft-drive choppers! Show us some more pictures of your rig.

BTW, strap steel at Home Depot has saved my ass mor times than I can count, but their nuts and bolts section is dog shit IMO

erikweste
08-04-2009, 9:10 PM
McGoo is right about the hardware section... unless you are looking for sheetrock screws.

I was in need of a wheel chock with no access to a welder. so I picked up a length of copper pipe from the H.D. and proceeded to cut and sweat myself one. Worked like a champ and cost me like $11.

~E

1RedBeard
08-04-2009, 9:33 PM
well not all of us are lucky enough to live where parts are in abundance, and homemade stuff is the best, so what are some cool finds or mods that a person can get supply's for anywhere?

You got more pics of the gas pipe struts. What size pipe did you use.

+2 McGoo! H.D. definitely sucks for hardware. Don't even bother looking for anything metric.

BigDawg
08-04-2009, 9:34 PM
... and I am a fan of shaft-drive choppers! Show us some more pictures of your rig.

BTW, strap steel at Home Depot has saved my ass mor times than I can count, but their nuts and bolts section is dog shit IMO

That's what Ace Hardware is for.

choncho
08-04-2009, 9:40 PM
Lowes has awsome hardware assortment. Spend 10 minutes looking in all the drawers by fasteners, they got alot of useful shit

Craze
08-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I've used more than my fair share of gas valve petcocks, duct strap for just about anything... and recently started using the neoprene shower pan liner to isolate tank vibration on the backbone of a couple bikes... i'm always keeping an eye out for the next el-cheap-o hardware store fix-it.

earz
08-05-2009, 12:29 AM

Curious, that's me. Especially since I've got a XJ650 that I've been toying with struting as well. what did you use for the eyelets?

WayneBallard
08-05-2009, 12:31 AM
You could always look around on this site
<a href="http://www.mcmaster.com/#">http://www.mcmaster.com</a>

earz
08-05-2009, 12:36 AM
You could always look around on this site
<a href="http://www.mcmaster.com/#">http://www.mcmaster.com</a>

If this was directed towards me - great site, but I'm dumb. I'm the type that needs a lot of guidance and needs to hold a part in his hands before he can visualize/imagine what it could become. Maybe I need to go to Lowe's and start picking stuff up......hmmm.

WayneBallard
08-05-2009, 12:38 AM
If this was directed towards me - great site, but I'm dumb. I'm the type that needs a lot of guidance and needs to hold a part in his hands before he can visualize/imagine what it could become. Maybe I need to go to Lowe's and start picking stuff up......hmmm.

You could always run to Lowes/Home depot and steal one of their clerks, then use McMaster-Carr with their guidence. lol

superflysnow
08-05-2009, 12:59 AM
same with me but ACE is the place!

JaySco
08-05-2009, 3:48 AM
I've used threaded rod for a headlight mount. I left about 4" sticking out on each side to thread the Harley blinkers directly on to make a nice narrow setup. Cost about a buck for the rod and a few nuts and washers. And ACE beats out the others for sure.

NHMike
08-05-2009, 6:48 AM
I go to Lowes for alot of my nuts and bolts. Use Home Depot as well sometimes, just depends what's closer. I made the mount for my seat out of some flat bar I got at HD. Cut the ends and then bent it in my vice. It's not the purtiest thing out there but niether is my bike, hahahaha

NITRO
08-05-2009, 6:51 AM
I love ACE I think I was there every day over a 4 week build, hardware, spacers, grommets....yes......

Boylecomm
08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Man I've been bummed on ACE lately. I've had at least a dozen brand new stainless bolts seize in the past couple months. I've had to snap them off to get them out. Fortunately only one was in a one off part but that part sucked to remake and I grease or anti seize everything.

We have Marshalls hardware in Mira Mar, San Diego, Mcfadden dale in Corona & Anahiem & although an Ace store Hanks in Temecula seem to have better quality stainless.

jazzmans
08-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Ace is the place for me.

As to stainless steel seizing,

>>>>>>>>>>>
Also important to know when using stainless steel fasteners is that they tend to gall, or cold weld. I also wish I had a nickel for every customer that came to Hillco claiming "You sold me the wrong nut. Look, it stuck to the bolt, and I had to break it to get it off!" I then point to the signs posted everywhere recommending the use of anti-seize to prevent galling. This is where I usually hear them say "Ohhhh. So that's what anti-seize is for." We recommend using nickel anti-seize (ND Industries Vibra-Tite part # ND90704, a 4-oz bottle for $9.50). Think of it as cheap insurance for your stainless steel nuts and bolts. You'll spend a lot of time breaking, grinding, and cutting off bolts if you don't use anti-seize.
>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.hillcofasteners.com/articles/24,1.html
shamelessly stolen from

Stainless steel have a tendancy to seize MORE then other fasteners, as well as being weak as far as shear forces go, TFA says they aren't as strong as grade 2 bolts.

Hope this helps!

jaz

XbrooklynX
08-05-2009, 2:12 PM
That's what Ace Hardware is for.

for real... Half of my bike is shit from ace.

xharleyx
08-05-2009, 6:20 PM
Curious, that's me. Especially since I've got a XJ650 that I've been toying with struting as well. what did you use for the eyelets?

i got the pipe at lowes in the plumbing section. it's galvanized gas pipe. i used 1/2" for the shaft of the strut and 3/4" for the eyelets, the catch is, i used the stock rubber bushings out of the stock shocks. ground them down a little bit with a grinder but they slid right in, so i have rubber mounted struts now lol.

xharleyx
08-05-2009, 6:26 PM

here are the only other pics I have right now because i literally just got started on it and i cant decide what direction i am going to go with it. it's my first chop and i'm learning as i go. I knew nothing about bikes when I started on this and i'm learning new stuff every day

http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/1000/234/1560.jpg
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/1000/234/1561.jpg
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/1000/234/1562.jpg

all opinions are welcome

lobstermobster
08-05-2009, 7:37 PM
i got the pipe at lowes in the plumbing section. it's galvanized gas pipe. i used 1/2" for the shaft of the strut and 3/4" for the eyelets, the catch is, i used the stock rubber bushings out of the stock shocks. ground them down a little bit with a grinder but they slid right in, so i have rubber mounted struts now lol.

nice. i will probably end up doing this very very soon.

kickcurserepeat
08-05-2009, 7:52 PM
Lowes has awsome hardware assortment. Spend 10 minutes looking in all the drawers by fasteners, they got alot of useful shit

I think HDepot caught onto this - my local one now has a much better "drawer selection". Seems pretty similar to Lowe's with a bigger selection, better organization, etc. Used to be crappy drawers (as opposed to crap-filled drawers . . . ? ) full of mismatched nuts and bolts. viva el competicion!

Shovel52
01-22-2016, 9:21 PM
I made a killer oil cooler from 10' of 1/2 inch copper tubing..coiled it up and mounted it under the transmission...you can't see it and it drops oil temp....amazing..copper conducts heat much better than aluminum..

Fukr
01-22-2016, 11:09 PM
Lowe's has these steel spacer things in the hardware pull out drawers with the bolts. They're chrome plated and have them in 3/4" ID and they work perfect for wheel spacers. And they're CHEAP. Damn I need a lathe

WillSCB
01-23-2016, 4:19 AM
I tend to head to Lowes, just because it is walking distance from my house (and they have a half decent selection of metric bolts for my '06 Triumph) but when I need something a little obscure, I head to either McFadden Dale (who have everything but factory only and whitworth) or Meade's Hardware here in Las Vegas. They've been open here for 50 years or better, and they are great when you need some kind of off the wall fittings to configure something. McFadden Dale is the shit, though. Was turned on to them by Dragstews while he was still here in Vegas. One of many useful things I learned hanging out at his shop here.

RokDoctor
01-23-2016, 7:53 PM
Ace is where it's at.

Only once have they made to head to the internets to find an odd bolt. Dang FXR shift pedal attachment bolts.

burger
01-24-2016, 9:08 AM
the lowes here doesnt have much of a hardware section unless you like hotdip galvanized stuff. We dont have a Home Depot,we do have a very good tractor Supply! And Williams Tru Value cant forget them,its an old timey style hardware store,got a lot of everything. They have an extensive fasteners section and if ya cant find it anywhere else (cept the internet) they will order it for you just so you can get a look at it.

farmall
01-24-2016, 9:41 AM
Not "Lowes or HD" but Ebay kicks ass for stainless steel hardware in cheap small bulk packs. It's mostly made offshore anyway so ya might as well cut out the chain store in between and have lots of "bench stock" on hand. I pretty much stopped using hardware store brass fittings because stainless is cheaper via Ebay. Lots of surplus US-made hardware too.

BTW if you weld galvanized pipe or other parts do NOT breathe the zinc fumes.

78BritBastard
01-24-2016, 4:49 PM
Tractor Supply has a great pay by the pound hardware section with SAE grade 2, 5, and 8 nuts, nylock nuts, bolts, and washers. No fine thread stuff in the bulk section though. For twenty bucks you can get a shit ton of hardware there.

tomahawk1976
01-25-2016, 5:57 PM
Not to step on CC's dick, but jockey journal has a killer 10pg thread on McMaster parts for motorcycle use

Southbanker
01-26-2016, 12:55 AM
Back in 2009 when this thread was posted it ruled.

ElekVins
08-27-2016, 6:37 PM
I'm in NYC for a few days, looking for SAE nuts and bolts for motorcycle use, want to buy a bunch of all sizes (asssortment boxes maybe?) 'cause in Europe they're hard to come by.

I tried several hardware store yet with no luck, either they have small packages only or very few choices.

Anybody can recommend me a place to go?

ArkTinkerer
08-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Second here on Tractor Supply for most stuff. Use to have a scrap metal yard that would let you prowl but that seems to be gone by the wayside everywhere in the litigious USA. Fastenal is expensive but the place to go for that really oddball gotta have nut/bolt/screw/fastener.

Townson
08-28-2016, 5:04 PM
I'm also gonna agree on Tractor Supply. I got quite a bit of sheet metal there for my last bike. Plus they have tools, welders and all kinds of other good shit.

DeadSeaGulls
08-29-2016, 11:21 AM
MacGyver tip of the day:

Industrial ANSI Roller Chain (can be purchased at any decent farm store) #50 steel chain is the same pitch & width as 530 chain (5/8" x 3/8").
The cost is a fraction of a motorcycle chain price. You can get enough for two motorcycle chains for 20-50 bucks.
Most tensile strength of 530 chain is around 7400 to 9000 lbs. Industrial Roller chain #50 has 7,200 lb strength. So it's not quite as strong... also, #50 generally doesn't have x or o rings to keep dirt out which effects longevity or requires more maintenance
But at that cost, in a pinch, it can save your day.

I learned this from my buddy that just rode from SLC to Canada to SLC to Kansas and back to SLC on his #50 roller chain.
I found the tensile strength and lack of X/O rings by reading into it online.

farmall
08-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Elekvins:

I suggest looking for industrial suppliers suck as Fastenal. They are a bit high but they stock bulk and they've got fine threaded fasteners and ALL METAL FINE THREAD LOCK NUTS which you want a shitload of for obvious reasons.

They also have the good adhesive-lined industrial heat shrink tubing.

https://www.fastenal.com/locations

The industrial chain tip is very good and very old. The rating difference doesn't mean shit. Chain wears out and rarely breaks. I'd run industrial chain with no worries.

53rigid
08-30-2016, 6:00 AM
Elekvins:

I suggest looking for industrial suppliers suck as Fastenal. They are a bit high but they stock bulk and they've got fine threaded fasteners and ALL METAL FINE THREAD LOCK NUTS which you want a shitload of for obvious reasons.

They also have the good adhesive-lined industrial heat shrink tubing.

https://www.fastenal.com/locations

The industrial chain tip is very good and very old. The rating difference doesn't mean shit. Chain wears out and rarely breaks. I'd run industrial chain with no worries.

Hey Farmall, I am considering going that route with the chain, what chain grease do you use? I assume that kind of lube technology has advanced so it does not fly off the chain at speed?