PDA

View Full Version : Stripping frame/parts

xbmxxx
11-27-2011, 2:32 AM
Whats the best way to do it? Right now im using a HF angle grinder with a paint/rust removal disk. Its working ok, but extremely time consuming and cant get in to a lot of nooks/crannies.

I have access to a blast cabinet, but it barely fits a tank, so Ill be using that for the small stuff.

I also have a gallon of aircraft stripper in the garage, but haven't had good luck with that stuff in the past.

MercuryMoto67
11-27-2011, 3:27 AM
Look for a sand blasting company. The one I work with has a portable sand blaster that isn't a cabinet. They sand blast all kinds of stuff like semi trailers and pipes etc. Huge things. They can probably do your frame and whatever else that isn't small enough for your cabinet. For the tank, I'd recommend soda blasting. It's not aggressive like sand. So it won't actually eat away at it.

If not that, then maybe a powdercoating company? If you wanna do it yourself, harbour freight has a little red blaster for cheap. Even with the cost of sand. Works decent.

Hope this helps.

ARBY
11-27-2011, 7:07 AM
^^^^^ What he said. I always go with course/medium abrasive. It gets every where and it give you a good surface for the primer to "bite" into when it's time to paint.

But. I'd do all the cutting and welding I needed to do before blasting. You don't want to leave your blasted frame laying around too long prior to paint. You'll get that tan surface rust. Not good to have that under your paint.

purerockfury
11-27-2011, 9:48 AM
i bought this spry can stripper at lowes then took it to the car wash to blast it off , shit worked awesome 2 cans of the stripper and the car wash cost me like 15 bucks...& wire wheeled the small amount of rust...

bigdaddy
11-27-2011, 10:01 AM
you can buy a cheap blaster from HF as well. i used aircraft stripper, and that shit works pretty well. you can use a putty knife to scrape it off, and then use a spray nozzle on your hose...or a car was would be cool. be careful not to get it on your skin. i guess it's pretty terrible stuff on your liver, but so is whiskey, and i love that stuff!