PDA

View Full Version : tooling up on a budget

Fredo
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I had to replace my air compressor this weekend. What I didnt want to do was buy another
"TOO FUCKING SMALL" compressor. That made me worry since I can not afford a larger compressor. That is untill I did some looking on line. I found a nice 60 gallon 240V unit at harbor frieght for $379.00 on sale for $329.00 vs. $789.00 for the same size at home depot.
I know that buying HF tools can be a gamble but times are tight and so is money.

Right before I go to HF to pick up the comp, I decide to check on line and google Harbor Frieght Cupons. I found a cupon for 20% off any single item...SCORE!
I picked up a industrial regulator / filter, some fittings and compressor oil. I also picked up some other non-compressor stuff. I was out the door for about 500 bones. That encludes the 3 year extended wnty. I got the compressor home, plumbed it and yesterday "Jimmy the Trendsetter" came over and wired it for me. Thanks Jimmy! Again.

I'm real happy with it, keeps up with all my tools no problem. I placed it out behind the garage so it's quiet and as a bonus it's big and scares my dogs.....

Nick
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
nice...haha I can see the dogs runnin everytime it kicks on

boogieman
08-04-2009, 1:19 PM
Hope it does good for ya. Like you said HF can be a gamble. Sometimes good stuff other times junk.

Just a little tip, don't ever buy the 10 pack of teflon tape. It must be ends and pieces cause each roll consists of several pieces from 8" to 3' all wound around the roll. I ended up throwing the crap away, talk about frustrating!

But I have got some other power tools from them that were awesome.

XbrooklynX
08-04-2009, 5:19 PM
I think CL is a good source especially right now with people losing their jobs and getting desperate for money.

independentrider1
08-04-2009, 5:30 PM
why is it getting so hard to find a decent compressor that isnt oilless? I had a oil less compressor once and it was one loud S.O.B. have they improved?

rustrocket84
08-04-2009, 7:10 PM
I made mistake and bought 33 gallon compressor from home depot because I could afford it. It's not bad noise wise, but it won't keep up with die grinder or any other air hungry tools, no matter what it says. Nicest feature is that you have 3 choices for the compressor to run and on the quiet one I can run it in the garage with the kid sleeping in the room attached and it doesn't wake her up.

Guy
08-05-2009, 4:46 AM
'Tooling up' is London parlance for arming yourself with a weapon.

I thought this was going to be a thread about making your own machine gun with a hacksaw and screwdriver!

billybiltit
08-05-2009, 7:33 AM
independentrider1,
i got a 30 gal craftsman oilless compressor and it is a loud m-f'r,i mean like "have to go outside (where i should have put the compressor)to think" loud.but it makes 125 psi.line pressure don't keep up with my tools and won't die.sometimes i wish it would then i would have to upgrade.
i need to see what the h-f jobbies look like.

leon holmes

mjasen10
08-05-2009, 5:24 PM
i have a ingersol rand compressor that isnt bad. cheap too

CaptainBob
08-05-2009, 6:22 PM
Went from one Sears to another to pick up the compressor I wanted and ended up saving $100 on a slightly smaller, but still plenty powerful floor model. I'm glad the local store was out...

BigDawg
08-05-2009, 7:00 PM
I've got the 33 gallon, 150psi Craftsman. It's loud as hell, but it's done fine so far.

One of the best things you can do is join the Craftsman Club. You get a monthly newsletter with all kinds of deals only available to the club (and it's free). Just today I got a cut off tool that lists for $69.99 for $34.99. I've gotten specific socket sets and individual sockets for as much as 60% off retail just by filling out the paperwork.

Here's the link:
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10155_12602_NB_CraftsmanClub