PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts RMV info; things you ought to know

CaptainBob
08-04-2009, 8:58 AM
I went to register the FLH today and learned a few good things I wish I had already known.

You can avoid a late registration fee of $25 by paying your sales tax within 20 days of purchase. You do NOT need to insure your bike in order to do this. I know its usually insurance then registry, but not in regards to paying sales tax. This was new to me.

Regardless of your purchase price, Mass RMV prints out a form showing the KBB and you WILL pay what they value the bike at. They don't look at it, but its required they do this for vintage motorcycles. I said I paid $2500; they told me to cough it up for $3500...

And lastly, check your title thoroughly BEFORE going in and waiting in line for an hour. Your title has a lienholder (if applicable) and the releasing lienholder box for when the bike gets paid off. I had two different banks listed and that sent up a big red flag. The first bank was bought out by the releasing, or second bank. I needed to track down the appropriate party and have a 'one and the same' letter forwarded to me stating that the second bank had bought the first. It HAS to be on company letterhead and preferably notarized by them. This little snafu cost me a full week of legal riding and an extra 1.25% over $3500 b/c Massachusetts upped its sales tax on August 1.

Paul
08-04-2009, 9:06 AM
Move to NH.
I'll make room.

Shit, you can just stay on the couch.

NHMike
08-04-2009, 9:12 AM
I lived in Ma. for years and absolutely HATED going ot the RMV. I agree with Paul, move to NH...or at the very least find a buddy there to use for an addy, hahahahaha.

Isgro
08-04-2009, 9:28 AM
Yep, sounds about right for good ol' Taxachusetts. It sucks that you missed the catching the end of the 5% sales tax because of the bank BS. At least you're legally on the road now.

avastyematey
08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Sometimes you can go to AAA and they will push shit through for you, if you're a AAA member that is.

TroyFab
08-04-2009, 3:29 PM
Bob,
I got nailed for that not paying the tax thing in Rhode Island too. I to had no idea about that one.

some1else
10-06-2015, 10:00 AM
not sure of all the details but there is a way to have the bike gifted to you and avoid the taxes,worth looking into