PDA

View Full Version : I'm now in Portland. Is there a custom scene?

Bret
09-21-2011, 7:09 PM
It's been a while since I've been on the CC and a lot's happened in my time away. I've since moved to Portland to take care of mother who has Alzheimer's. I was born here and to say it's changed is an understatement. The part of town I grew up in is now hipster central. I'm also blown away by the amount of old Japanese bikes I see around town. So my question to the locals is there a garage built scene around here and if so where is it?

NHMike
09-21-2011, 7:13 PM
Portland Maine? Oregon? Alaska? You have to be a little more specific. Hahahahaha

Bret
09-21-2011, 7:20 PM
Portland Maine? Oregon? Alaska? You have to be a little more specific. Hahahahaha

Oh, Mike. How I missed you, dickhead. ;) Oregon

NHMike
09-21-2011, 7:34 PM
Oh, Mike. How I missed you, dickhead. ;) Oregon

:D

If you were in Maine I would've bought you a beer. But since you're in Oregon, then, I won't.

Frankenfab
09-21-2011, 8:34 PM
I don't know anyone else that I see frequently that rides a chop around here...most my friends/customers ride cafe bikes or modern kinda stuff.... There are other people around with custom bikes/choppers but not nearly as many as other cities. Kinda enjoy it to be honest.

nick5
09-21-2011, 8:39 PM
Hows your leg healin' up, Bret?

rustrocket84
09-21-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm not quite local, but 420 miles on the fast road is local enough. I commute 600 miles to work so driving 400 to meet new people into scooters is much easier. And riding in Oregon is way better than through the central part of California.

Bret
09-22-2011, 12:41 AM
I don't know anyone else that I see frequently that rides a chop around here...most my friends/customers ride cafe bikes or modern kinda stuff.... There are other people around with custom bikes/choppers but not nearly as many as other cities. Kinda enjoy it to be honest.

I've noticed that too. It's definitely a two-wheeled town. Let's meet up sometime. I'm in Westmoreland.

Bret
09-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Hows your leg healin' up, Bret?

Great. Well, all things considered great. Slight limp and it's getting used to the change in climate. Thanks for asking.

wickedblockhead
09-22-2011, 4:44 PM
i work in Portland. Theres a cool little indy shop called G&L on Rhine. But i dont do the scene very well, im not hip or cool or whatever. I wish there were more like minded people out here.

steffan
09-22-2011, 9:02 PM
Welcome to our black hole. You've got it better there. I'm in roseburg and there is almost nothing other than myself and a couple friends. I hold my Sacralicious Sat once a month and that's bout as custome s it gets down here. Welcome back to the pnw.

wickedblockhead
09-24-2011, 8:52 PM
From what i can see everything here is artsy fartsy shit. I love portland for its scene but i hate portland for its scene. Make sense?

Toecutterp
09-25-2011, 3:59 PM
Moto Galore is cool. Friend Polar on facebook, a group of dudes that are into sweet bike

oildevil13
09-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Billy Hellmutts is in Tacoma.... 4 hrs for you... www.hellmuttliners.com

jramp
06-09-2012, 4:48 PM
Yo dude theres not alot on the road but there is a cool one if you search it out. Ya there's definitely more cafes, rockets and scooters than there seems to be rad chops and bobs, but that makes it more badass. I also think with the younger kids like myself and shops like SeeSee's, Holiday, New Church and a few others, the garage custom scene is growing and in a good way. Least I hope. Let's mash sometime, always lookin for new people to ride with
-Josh

bobberadam
06-11-2012, 1:38 PM
Im just in milwaukie not far from you, not many people around riding cool shit. hit me up we can hook up for a beer.

jramp
06-15-2012, 1:22 AM
Im just in milwaukie not far from you, not many people around riding cool shit. hit me up we can hook up for a beer.

yo dude, always lookin to ride with other like minded people, give me a shout and well link up sometime. you born freein it? 541-598-5168
-josh

bobberadam
06-15-2012, 1:36 PM
Cool man, im just finishing putting my motor back together tonight, i will hit you up if i get out this weekend.

Jackhammerjack
06-20-2012, 4:47 AM
Hey! looking to see how many stump town cultists are riding down for Born Free. I'm hoping myself and Josh aren't the only ones representing PDX. I've pasted in my proposed route, and I'm hoping a few of you locals can join us. Give me some feedback even if you're not going as I've never actually taken this road this far south before. I'd like any feedback!!

Okay, it looks like I will be leaving Portland Wednesday morning taking I-5 to Grants Pass, cutting to the coast to the 101, passing through Crescent City and possibly ending the first day in Eureka.

Day 2, probably cruising down the 101 and getting past SF and ending up around Salinas.

Day 3, continuing down the 101 crossing over the top of LA and dropping down south on 55 to Orange or Santa Ana to spend the night socializing with the early birds.

This route seems to divide the trip equally in three days, and gives plenty of time for resting up or partaking in happy hour endeavors. My back is not camping worthy so I'll detour to a local roach motel. Any and all are invited to join me and I am open to suggested alterations of this route, as I am new to this stretch of road. I chose the 101 over the 1, so that it cuts the ride time down to three days and there appears to be more towns and thus more gas pumps along the way (for those of us on Sportys or smaller tanks). It looks as if the 101 also provides plenty of forest and coastal scenery as well.

Hit me up with your thoughts on this route. I'd be honored to join some of you guys on the way down.

contentious
06-26-2012, 1:33 AM
I moved to Vancouver a few months ago. Everyone I know that rides now lives in seattle or down south. I don't mind visiting em but would like to meet some people around here to ride with and wrench with. Feel free to message me.

Sky
06-27-2012, 5:47 AM
last time I was in portland there was this not so tiny shop called Nash Motorcycles.
Bunch of ironhead chops if i recall........o, and handle bars
Bet they could tell ya how the "scene" is
Or try checking out the skate parks. I hear baggy shorts are out and denim is in

SHARP
07-16-2012, 6:19 PM
Lots of posts from other areas around the country but not much in Portland/ Vancouver
area. What's up out there and who's knows of some shit to do locally?

bobberadam
07-17-2012, 1:32 PM
There is quite a bit of stuff that happens down at see see coffee and chop shop, check them out on face book, my buddy is doing an event this friday night some cool art shit. if you want to go let me know. Other than that i have been trying to find more stuff myself.

Frankenfab
07-18-2012, 9:49 AM
There is a show this weekend (bikes/cars) in the Club 21 parking lot off Sandy/21st. Bike reg is 11-1. Gonna be up in there and hoping I am not the only "chopper" in a sea of cafe bikes. Would be cool to see some other heads there.
Seth.

jramp
07-18-2012, 8:57 PM
nice, ill be there on ma baby, see ya!

Frankenfab
07-22-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a vague reference to the show having been rad... I recall Tommy Shock doing mea solid on a points cover... All the daggers guys were fucking rad... I think my bike did ok in the show but dunno who's house its at.... Woke up somewhere that has yet to be determined. So yeah, good show :)

sam13
08-07-2012, 2:54 AM
deployed at the moment and from GA, took a job out in portland and will be moving there hopefully in feb. I look forward to riding out there.

mojomatt
08-23-2012, 9:43 PM
I like hardtails but my back doesn't. so I ride an 85 fxr that I rebuilt, it looks like dirt on purpose, but it rides nice. I have and 82 fxr with a shovel that isn't quite right. I want ot know where the swap meets and show are at? wouldn't mind a few like minded punk friends to talk moto's with.

snoosky
10-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Hey dudes, Whats the lowdown on the riding like up there? Considering a job in Portland, coming from Austin.

badico
10-10-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm need a bike shop to work on my HD anyone know of a good one in Portland ??

Jackhammerjack
10-23-2012, 3:13 AM
For the previous post, I highly recommend HK Motors in Gresham. Hans has plenty of business and is not interested in screwing you out of your dollar. He will not do any work that is unnecessary or do any work that is 'cost prohibitive' (his words). I will only take my Harley to him. He has a full load of work to do, but will always take time to answer your questions and help guide you on any work you want to try yourself. I highly, highly recommend him.

rustrocket84
01-14-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm heading up to Portland area in the next week or so to scope out potential places to move to. I'm not set on Portland, but it'll have to be within 45 minutes or so since I'll have to commute by air for work. Any places to avoid living? High theft areas and such. A tattoo artist that I know from SoCal was living in Gresham and he loved it there, so I'll be checking that place out too. A few years ago I rode through Vancouver, and Camas and everything else along the Columbia going east to Minnesota.

pirate2876
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I cant help but think of this anytime I hear about Portland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE_9CzLCbkY