PDA

View Full Version : could use some help!!

possum
10-31-2009, 5:28 PM
so i picked up this 1970 triumph bonneville its a t120 with a 750 top end on ebay.it was really really raty when i got it and im little by little going over the bike but im having a little trouble with a few things.ok first things first. im running a mag. i ripped all the wiring and battery out of the bike i used the old rectifier, which had a red,black, and two yellows on it. i connected to the two yellow wires from the rectifier to to my stator wires. and figured the red and black were the + and - which i believe is right . then i just wired the tail light and head ligh to the recitfier fired the bike, and the lights worked..for about 30 second the bulbs blew.. am i missing like a regulator or something i have no idea he only other thing i can think is if maybe its grounding out..second i added a joe hunt mag ive been trying to get timed but im having trouble just doesnt seem 100%. and third off it leaking oit bad from the primary case by the sprocket what tools will i need to change the seal in there. thanks for any help!!!

Finkit
11-01-2009, 6:00 PM
First off do you have a factory manual and parts book? If not get them. Second go and buy the two Four Aces/Lowbrow DVDs they will help explain what you donít understand in the manuals and save you a ton of money and head aches.

Choppedtriumphs
11-02-2009, 4:40 AM
http://choppedtriumphs.net/images/joe_hunt.jpg

Mabe this will help?...Peace.

Grashopr
11-02-2009, 5:29 AM
I'm getting the vibe that "Possum" is a troll, but nonetheless:

The oil coming from your front sprocket isn't a seal that's gone bad, that's your crankcase overflow tube spewing oil because the bike is "Wet Sumping" (the bike uses a pretty much total-loss oiling system, so there shouldn't be much oil in the bottom end; especially not enough to come out the overflow tube). The causes could be one of a number of things; outlined in THIS SERVICE BULLETIN (http://www.britishonly.com/pdf/triumph/Servicebulletin/1967/TriumphServiceBulletin_082467_67-6.pdf), but the most likely culprit is just that the check valve in the oil pump is stuck open and allowing the oil to seep from the oil bag into the crankcase and fill it. Then when you start the bike, the crankcase pressure pushes the extra oil out of the overflow tube, which happens to be right in the area of the front sprocket and chain.

To clean the valve, pull the timing cover and the pump comes off pretty easily. I ran some cleaner through myne while 'working' the ball valve with a peice of hard plastic until the cleaner quit draining out the bottom of the pump cylinder when the valve was supposed to be closed. Hope that helps.

possum
11-03-2009, 12:38 AM
a troll...you calling me a troll!?!?! lol got the nick name a couple years back for an overly hairy back.... yeah that helps alot i was possibly thinking it might have been that the breather line for primary case. its hooked directly to the oil tank(thats where it was when i got the bike) it seemed odd to me im thinking about putting a small breather in the line to help with that but ill pull the pump out and check it as well. and the diagram halped big time thanks for posting that.. is that red wire a ground? i totally had it backwards so that makes sense thanks for the help guys!

Grashopr
11-03-2009, 6:41 AM
Sorry Possum, I'm sketchy that way, dont hold it against me. :)