PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring Electrical: Use Existing or Start from Scratch? Tips?

SoulCal1
10-28-2009, 7:43 AM
Need to do the wiring on my Yamaha SR500 (probably similar to any Yamaha XS). After exposing the factory wiring from the headlight, it was pretty mind boggling --- just a blob of wires!

I have a couple wire diagrams for chops which seem pretty straight forward. For those that have rewired their bike, did you use the existing wires or did you start from scratch? Did you guys use any other aftermarket switches or electrical components?

Thanks!

JayTucc
10-28-2009, 8:08 AM
I'm about to head down this very road myself... headlight started cutting out and hours of checking wires and what not has driven me crazy. Thinking its time to rip it all out and do it myself.

Heis
10-28-2009, 8:49 AM
yea I am getting ready to do the same as well. Taking off the headlight and seeing all those wires (and a beehive) was overwhelming. I've already talked to a few guys that have rewired from scratch and they said that if you have a diagram its not all that difficult.

Rudehog
10-28-2009, 9:33 AM
First off decide what components are leaving and which are staying and then decide how clean you want it to look. If you are not into hiding as much of the harness as posible you can get awy with just stripping out the sections of the harness that are not needed and then fasten it to the frame rails but if you want it clean and clutter free I would gut the entire harness,save the components such as ckt brkrs,relays.switches etc.. and build your harness from scratch.
Then some of the harness can be run thru the frame.

Get a factory wire diagram and then dig up as many chopper diagrams as you can for reference.
Get real familer with the factory diagram before you start.

Let me know what exactly you plan to run on this bike and I will dig up some diagrams I have saved and I will help you plan it out.

JayTucc
10-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Dumb question but if your in need of the diagram where would you get one?

Rudehog
10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Just google or Bing "Yamaha SR500 wiring diagram" and you will be suprised at how much comes up.

earz
10-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Found this the other day and I think it's funny so here it is

LMGTFY (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Yamaha+Sr500+wiring+diagram)

jamesgs4
10-28-2009, 3:09 PM
i keep putting my wiring off too, i reaaaaaally do not feel like doing it, but it is already chopped down a lot and it is still a rats nest. the factory wiring is so convulted the only way to clean it up is to start fresh, and eliminate all of the huge-ass plastic connectors and crap like safety relays, starter relay, blikers etc...

Robhall
10-28-2009, 5:46 PM
Mine was the same way. I used the stock harness for a few weeks, but it kept leaving me on the side of the road from shorting out or whatnot. I built a new one from scratch using a 20A aircraft circuit breaker instead of a fuse and it works like a champ. Plus I would recommend a newer style solid state regulator/rectifier over the stock units. I picked one up after the regulator blew out and it works like a champ.

garco
10-28-2009, 8:24 PM
Weve got one for Xs650's that we made that works for sure. ill post it tomorow. maybe it will help.

shop102
10-28-2009, 9:56 PM
i have a shitload of diagrams. a really bitchin one (same as the garco boys)

garco
10-29-2009, 1:12 PM
See if this helps at all. I know it isnt exactly what you need but maybe it will help some?

Shawn
10-29-2009, 10:22 PM
I used my stock harness and trimmed eveything out I didn't want, which was a lot.
I have the bare minimum needed to run my bike.
Come to think of it, all I kept was the charging and ignition system. I wired a real simple switch right off the battery for my headlight.

What I thought was a good thing was keeping the stock plastic connectors so the if my altenator, regulator or cdi bow shits the bed, I can get another one, plug it in and I'm rolling.
No need to fuck with soldering new connectors straight plug and play.

SoulCal1
10-30-2009, 6:59 AM
See if this helps at all. I know it isnt exactly what you need but maybe it will help some?

Yeah, definitely helps! This diagram is really simplified. I appreciate the help ya'll. BTW, is this diagram for a CDI or Points?

If anyone needs the SR500 wiring diagram, feel free to send me a pm with your e-mail.

SoulCal1
10-30-2009, 7:01 AM
I used my stock harness and trimmed eveything out I didn't want, which was a lot.
I have the bare minimum needed to run my bike.
Come to think of it, all I kept was the charging and ignition system. I wired a real simple switch right off the battery for my headlight.

What I thought was a good thing was keeping the stock plastic connectors so the if my altenator, regulator or cdi bow shits the bed, I can get another one, plug it in and I'm rolling.
No need to fuck with soldering new connectors straight plug and play.

"No need to fuck with soldering new connectors straight plug and play." <<< My thoughts exactly. You have a picture of your headlight switch?

garco
10-30-2009, 9:32 PM
Yeah, definitely helps! This diagram is really simplified. I appreciate the help ya'll. BTW, is this diagram for a CDI or Points?

If anyone needs the SR500 wiring diagram, feel free to send me a pm with your e-mail.

That one is for pamco elec ign. The chrgin system is usually the hardest one to figure out.

calicruiser
10-31-2009, 9:27 AM
i wired mine from scratch. first time wiriing a bike of any sort. I drew a diagram and started. Was not hard at all. The hardest part is thinking ahead about how you are gonna run your wires.

josh

Shawn
11-11-2009, 12:36 AM
"No need to fuck with soldering new connectors straight plug and play." <<< My thoughts exactly. You have a picture of your headlight switch?

My original headlight switch was a rotory switch from a lamp. It ate shit and I replaced it with a super cheap rocker switch from walmart. My headlight is wired straight from the battery through a key switch. No high beam lo beam just straight hi all the time.