PDA

View Full Version : Sporty clutch slipping in first.

BigEd1964
07-30-2011, 2:18 PM
I have an 01 Sportster. one out of maby 6 times it slips on takeoff. It feels like the clutch is disengaging on it's own. it does hot or cold. Does anyone have an ideas. Thanks BigEd

honchop1
07-30-2011, 7:48 PM
How many miles? Have you ever checked out your plates? could be some worn fibers in there.

BillyT
07-30-2011, 8:14 PM
Slipping or popping out of gear?

gyro
07-31-2011, 9:33 AM
oh man I just redid my friction disc two and replaced a bearing in my clutch in my o1 sporty. I got just over 60k on it and two of the disc were worn down to nothing and the bearing on the clutch adjusting screw was shot. It was real easy but I fucked it all up and wound up going threw three gaskets and a few quarts of fluids so if you get into it make sure you take your time putting it back together and if you have a manual go by it and don't just make it up your self as you go.

CaptNDirt
08-01-2011, 3:03 PM
It sounds like the cable is sticking on occasion. Any kinks in the cable. May need some cable lube. Could also be plates or the internal lever is worn where the cable attaches in the primary

xllance
08-01-2011, 7:48 PM
Adjust it and run Sport Trans fluid.

HFMC
08-02-2011, 8:47 PM
I have an '02 Sportster. Mine pops in and out of first gear, and first gear only. I read on a few sites about a defect in the countershaft 1st gear in those years that caused that problem, so I replaced it. Still occurred. Stumped at that point, I took it to my trusted indie. He opened up the tranny, adjusted everything, replaced the shifter fork and another gear, put it back together, STILL occurred. He took it apart several times, checked and rechecked to make sure he wasn't missing anything, STILL occurred. (He charged my NO labor by the way since he couldn't fix it)

Since he was stumped, he said I should go to Harley with it so they could contact Harley Tech. Took it to Harley, they checked everything, removed and replaced tranny several times, re-adjusted everything, STILL occurred. Harley Tech said it needed a new clutch. They put in a new clutch and replaced the clutch cable, STILL OCCURRED!

Now I'm into this problem what I consider and ungodly amount of $, and Harley says they want to replaced shifter pawl and some linkage for ANOTHER $300. I'm convinced the mechanics don't know what the hell they're doing, and Harley Tech isn't any better. I don't know what the F I'm going to do.

If this sounds like the same problem you're having, you might want to wait a while until I figure out what's causing the problem. Even thought I'm going to end up owning a $20,000 sportster at this rate, at least maybe you can benefit from my misfortune.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?:banghead::banghead:

xllance
08-02-2011, 9:07 PM
He just said his clutch was slipping, not poppping out of gear.

HFMC
08-02-2011, 9:48 PM
He just said his clutch was slipping, not poppping out of gear.

That's what mine sort of felt like at first, too. As it got worse, you could start to hear that it was actually popping out of gear. It doesn't stay out, it goes in and out quickly.

TM1984
05-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Wanna bump this thread. Anybody figure out what their problem was? I'm experiencing the same issue. 1st gear slips out right as I start to get going and slips back in a second later.

rooster52478
05-06-2014, 5:38 AM
My '02 does it too. It's not the clutch or any adjustment because I've been through and replaced all that.

Salty
05-08-2014, 8:57 AM
You been popppin too many wheelies?

rooster52478
05-08-2014, 6:41 PM
It's always done it. Even before I learned how to wheelie it.

LoFi66
05-21-2014, 4:46 PM
I had the exact same problem! I've read up on it on various websites. I ended up replacing the whole transmission cassette. That seemed to fix it, but now I have a similar problem in second gear. While I haven't opened up my primary again, I'm thinking that these kinds of problems are exacerbated by other problems like incorrect primary chain tension, and shifter pawl problems. If you are looking at it yourself, take a look at the springs on the shifter pawl. I'm thinking that when those wear out they don't move the drum enough, and so the shift forks don't slide over enough.

djroofus
06-13-2014, 9:21 PM
My 91 does it and it drives me crazy. changed the cable, bearing, adjusted the primary chain but I stopped there because I didn't want to just dump money into it and hope that fixed it. It still rides so I left it and was going to rip it apart this winter. A local guy told me to check the shift forks and grooves... He said after time they wear enough where it will slip out but go right back in because the edges get a slight chamfer to them. I don't think its the plates or fibers because it only does it in first and its real quick. the shift forks and grooves seems to be the most logical thing...Someone go tear their bike apart and let me know if it works!!!!

djroofus
09-11-2014, 5:35 PM
Bump

Tattooo
09-11-2014, 5:54 PM
I have an '02 Sportster. Mine pops in and out of first gear, and first gear only. I read on a few sites about a defect in the countershaft 1st gear in those years that caused that problem, so I replaced it. Still occurred. Stumped at that point, I took it to my trusted indie. He opened up the tranny, adjusted everything, replaced the shifter fork and another gear, put it back together, STILL occurred. He took it apart several times, checked and rechecked to make sure he wasn't missing anything, STILL occurred. (He charged my NO labor by the way since he couldn't fix it)

Since he was stumped, he said I should go to Harley with it so they could contact Harley Tech. Took it to Harley, they checked everything, removed and replaced tranny several times, re-adjusted everything, STILL occurred. Harley Tech said it needed a new clutch. They put in a new clutch and replaced the clutch cable, STILL OCCURRED!

Now I'm into this problem what I consider and ungodly amount of $, and Harley says they want to replaced shifter pawl and some linkage for ANOTHER $300. I'm convinced the mechanics don't know what the hell they're doing, and Harley Tech isn't any better. I don't know what the F I'm going to do.

If this sounds like the same problem you're having, you might want to wait a while until I figure out what's causing the problem. Even thought I'm going to end up owning a $20,000 sportster at this rate, at least maybe you can benefit from my misfortune.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?:banghead::banghead:

I say you still have a bent shift fork !!!!!