PDA

View Full Version : shortening front fork springs on 74 flh

KingPynn
10-23-2009, 4:59 AM
hey guys
i was just curious if any one has cut down there own springs like the DIY artical on the lowbrow customs page? ( http://lowbrowcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=25) i know the picks show a british moto, i have a 74' FLH, i looked at the maual and the exploded picks of the forks, doesnt look like a crazy task but i just curious if it truley is "as easy as it looks" or am i in for a world of ass pain. i dont want to pay out 300 bones for lowered front end if i can do it myself 30cents in metal tube for the spacer. any help would be hot. thanks.

Boylecomm
10-23-2009, 5:30 AM
Pretty much the exact same deal. Do one leg at a time in case of a screw up. You may end up messing around with different length top spacers (above the spring) & or fork oil weight & volume but that's all personal preference.

atomic1
10-23-2009, 5:49 AM
I got a Progressive kit for a newer bike and it came with PVC spacers. The PVC just looked like your standerd stuff you could get at a local hardware store. Does anyone know if it's just PVC, if so it would make it alot easier.

Boylecomm
10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Yes on the PVC.

KingPynn
10-23-2009, 1:50 PM
thanks for the tips. yeah i was hopeing it wasn't any big secret and it was as easy as it looks. we'll see when i tear my springs out this winter and it goes pear shaped

TheDemon
10-24-2009, 7:23 AM
If you just want the lowered look then thats the way to go, but if you want your bike to handle good then it's not. Essentially its just like cutting coils off the springs on a car, looks all slammed and badass, but will handle like complete crap. If you want a bike that handles well your going to have to put some money into the suspension and I don't mean progressive because that $99 kit doesn't handle for shit.

This is a good thread on sporty suspension from XLforum

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=552796

Boylecomm
10-24-2009, 11:58 AM
I completely disagree with demon. Although that link has some great info this isn't a sporty?
74 FLH, wideglide, what are your choices? Spring kits, emulators & oil.
Take your time figuring out spacers, oil height/weight and keep your FLH off the GP circuit and you'll be better off than stock on the cheap.
Hack it all and you won't.

TheDemon
10-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I completely disagree with demon. Although that link has some great info this isn't a sporty?
74 FLH, wideglide, what are your choices? Spring kits, emulators & oil.
Take your time figuring out spacers, oil height/weight and keep your FLH off the GP circuit and you'll be better off than stock on the cheap.
Hack it all and you won't.

I know its not a sporty and I wasn't trying to compare it to one, that link just has good info. Besides its not like Harley has had any great breakthroughs in suspension tech. between when they built that 74 FLH and a 2009 sportster. Same shitty suspension.

The point I was trying to make with that post was just to say hey if you cut the stock springs that are already crappy and OLD the bike isn't going to ride all that great. Which is true.

Slovy
10-25-2009, 4:47 PM
buy the progressive lowering kit unless you want to half ass or your buke to ride like shit

Rudehog
10-26-2009, 8:42 AM
On my fxst I first installed the progressive kit and got a couple of inches drop but I wanted more so I picked up a set of FL tubes and used the progressive kit without the spacers,just a couple of washers and it came out right where I wanted it (about 3 1/2 in travel).
You want about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch pre load on the spring.
I think the prog kit for the Fxst has longer springs then there kit for the fl and thats why I got away without running any (pvc) spacers, I got lucky and was able to get about 3/4 in pre load on the spring with just washers.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/3400116251_d9a1251192_b.jpg

TheDemon
10-26-2009, 9:35 AM
On my fxst I first installed the progressive kit and got a couple of inches drop but I wanted more so I picked up a set of FL tubes and used the progressive kit without the spacers,just a couple of washers and it came out right where I wanted it (about 3 1/2 in travel).
I think the prog kit for the Fxst has longer springs then there kit for the fl and thats why I got away without running any (pvc) spacers, I got lucky and was able to get about 3/4 in pre load on the spring with just washers.

Damn that thing is slammed, how bad does it scrape when you turn?

Rudehog
10-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Oh yea it scrapes really good! thats how I know when to quit leaning into it!

I always say....{Praise the Lowered}

KingPynn
11-05-2009, 7:25 AM

thats sweet. i think that sounds like the best idea, with the washers. i want it low; but ridable. your scoot looks bad ass though good job.

unfinishedprojects
09-05-2013, 6:04 PM
That bike is bad, love the slammed look!