1) I'm no welder
2) I'm no leather worker
3) I'm no machinest
4) I'm no painter
5) have no idea how to manage my time.

what about ya'll, learn much?

mad750
08-03-2009, 9:47 AM
Even though I like to work by myself, I can't do it all by myself and don't be afraid to ask.

Boylecomm
08-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Hide the pipe.

Magickman
08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
1) I proved my wife wrong
2) I can do more than I think I can and should never be afraid to try.
3) I still have more to learn and that is probably the most exciting part.

Wendy
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
1) I'm no welder
2) I'm no leather worker
3) I'm no machinest
4) I'm no painter
5) have no idea how to manage my time.

what about ya'll, learn much?

Yeah, Fredo you are a rockstar!

All that plus...
I CAN wire a motorcycle.

jason43
08-03-2009, 12:35 PM
To wear gloves while operating an angle grinder, cause it only takes a quarter second... also, wear a face shield...

Hell, pretty much, respect angle grinders, because it might be only 1 in a hundred times you use it, but it'll f--- you up.

VatoBlanko
08-03-2009, 12:42 PM
...because I think I can do it doesn't always mean I should do it.

r757rob
08-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm a lot smarter than I think.
I'm a lot dumber than I think.

Never be afraid to ask for advice, even if it makes you look like an idiot.

billybiltit
08-03-2009, 3:13 PM
i think i can do everything.
then i get all gushy and post a pic,and it's obvious i can't!

leon holmes

crownmotorz
08-03-2009, 3:17 PM
ALWAYS disconnect the battery when you are working on the starter.... it doesn't take long to suck your sleeve up. luckily it wasn't a finger. when welding a gas tank make SURE its cleaned out and the cap is off.... OUCH!

JustJ
08-03-2009, 5:03 PM
Do it right the first time, dont rush, even though its killing you to get on that mother and ride!

XbrooklynX
08-03-2009, 5:14 PM
god i could go on forever...

1. Stay organized.
2. Dont just tear shit off the bike with out paying attention to how to put it back together
3. Check fitment before ordering parts
4. When in doubt outsource

Scottienoooo
08-03-2009, 5:17 PM
dont ever set anything down in my dads messy fuckin garage because you will never find it

kickcurserepeat
08-03-2009, 8:39 PM
No matter how stupid the last question you answered (or ignored) about your sickle was, there's another, even more ridiculous, one right around the bend.

lobstermobster
08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
That "quick and easy," is never quick and easy.

Knucklebuster
08-04-2009, 7:51 AM
It always takes longer than you think - even when you give yourself more time.
Simple things can be a lot harder than you think. Difficult things can be a lot simpler than you think.
Knowledgable friends who you can call up are worth their weight in gold.
Internet communities where you can post questions and folks jump up to help out and get you answers are indespensible.
It's never done until you sell the bike.

NITRO
08-04-2009, 8:25 AM
Yeah.....angle grinders have guards for a reason....and gloves are a good idea while welding hah!

independentrider1
08-04-2009, 8:27 AM
1. all the details count.. clean the bolts or use new ones
2. I'm a perfectionist
3. I'm good at fabricating
4. I'm not a very good mechanic
5. don't rush
6. don't be afraid to farm shit out if you can't do it right
7. do wiring right the first time (heat shrink, solder) and you won't have to worry about it later
8. If you have it apart scrub every little part clean
9. never leave metal bare (unless thats the look your going for)
10. DON"T BUILD ANGRY!!!!

GrayMitchell
08-04-2009, 8:31 AM
Things I learned:
-Always wear close-toed shoes in the shop
-Always wear gloves and face shield with angle grinder
-An Oxy-Acetylene set up will come in handy OFTEN!
-still learning TIG
-changing tires is a lot easier with 2 people
-No matter what, your bike will always leak a little
-beer helps
-pay the bills before buying parts....

superflysnow
08-04-2009, 11:56 AM
I work really quick on the difficult shit

I work really slow on the dumb shit

Flatironmike
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
hey fredo:

i've said it before and i'll say it again - you and oscar need to pool your dough and buy a new fuckin' goldwing to share.

and, be sure to affix that auto drip coffee maker to the damn thing!

ha!

Nick
08-04-2009, 1:00 PM
if you have a short term memory as I do then during every tear down take a shitload of pictures....make use of the technology we have

BoomBoom
08-04-2009, 3:04 PM
if you have a short term memory as I do then during every tear down take a shitload of pictures....make use of the technology we have

You beat me to it....use a digital camera or even a video. Take a gazillion pics and you will never regret it. Also, don't forget to save the pictures on another CD or computer hard drive because, believe me, you will regret not doing that.

Also, beer is a great cerebral lubricant. Jack and coke is better once your brain is through the break-in period.

EvylChopper
08-04-2009, 3:49 PM
I have learned.....

1. I cannot find the center of a circle.
2. I cannot drill where I made the punch hole.
3. I cannot weld.
4. I cannot hacksaw in a straight line.

Evyl

BlueCollarMoto
08-04-2009, 4:36 PM
1. All the above.

2. Not to buy a expensive made in USA ATV lift because the jack is still made in China and will break leaving the bike on top of you with the kickstand wedged in the thing making it impossible to lift bike back up.

3. Just when your on a roll your gonna run out of cash for parts.

4. Unless you have them set up on pegboard you will never find any of the five 9/16" wrenches you have when you need it. (also goes for all other tools)

5. When dropping clutch plates in acetone to get the oil out of em it will always splash you in the eye. (always wear safety glasses)

6. That bike or part you just got such a good deal on will drop in value the day after you bought it.

7. Your extension cord will always be 6" shorter than you need it to be.

8. Whenever you have both your hands in greasy goo the phone will ring or you will get an itch.

9. Not to panic when you wake up at 2:30 am and your eyes are burning because you didn't wear dark safety glasses when you were heating parts to a cherry red to bend them all after noon.

10. Wonder why I'm not blind yet.

WayneBallard
08-04-2009, 4:42 PM
Ummmm so far while building my mini bike I learnt to take axles out by hammering them out or push them out w/ a object other then your thumb.

I tried to push the rear one out w/ my thumb and it pinched the crap outta it and split it open.

Nick
08-04-2009, 5:49 PM
haha this thread is a good one I forgot also I've learned I can not clean carbs ever w/out sprayin carb cleaner in my eye...last time I was even wearin glasses so don't ask me....I must just caught that unlucky drop....oh and when broke down on the side of the road and bending down to your bike then accidently sticking your face on the exhaust really hurts

storm77b
08-04-2009, 6:49 PM
I can do anything. I just don't know how yet.

TSF
08-04-2009, 6:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To wear gloves while operating an angle grinder, cause it only takes a quarter second... also, wear a face shield...

i love and hate angle grinders at the same time....but still find myself useing them constantly...don

rustrocket84
08-04-2009, 7:01 PM
No matter how well you think you clean up a fuel spill, knowing you have an electrical short, clean it some more. I don't know the odds of it igniting the vapors that were left on the motor it did, and it melted through the cheap clear fuel crossover line.

Make sure your fire extinguisher is charged, and in the garage.

independentrider1
08-04-2009, 7:22 PM
the saftey glasses is a good one. when i was in apprenticeship school there was a saying. "you can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye" always wear 'em

Halwade
08-04-2009, 8:36 PM
1) Google is your friend
2) Bob at Temecula Motorcycle Repair is the grease monkey's messiah
3) McFadden Dale Hardware is mecca

Stubs
08-04-2009, 9:15 PM
I'm poorer than i thought!!!!

mad750
08-04-2009, 9:24 PM
3) McFadden Dale Hardware is mecca

When I die I picture it'll be like McFadden Dale and I won't have a spending limit.

BlueCollarMoto
08-04-2009, 9:41 PM
When I die I picture it'll be like McFadden Dale and I won't have a spending limit.

Oh you chest thumper you. Haaaaa!

mad750
08-04-2009, 9:43 PM
Oh you chest thumper you. Haaaaa!

RRROOOAAARRRRR!!! giggle, giggle!! ; )

KawiDave
02-23-2010, 5:55 PM
Use teflon tape on petcocks.

Eyeballing a measurement isn't always the best.

It sure would be nice to have a lift table.

WINTER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

born2boogie
02-23-2010, 5:58 PM
I CAN, and I WILL, fuck up everything to get one thing right.

xllance
02-23-2010, 6:06 PM
Don't go out and buy a bunch of parts that you THINK you will use, I could've built another half a bike with the money I wasted. Wish I knew about CC when I started my build. I love Krylon and zip ties. Be ready for the bike to change your mind for you on how it's gonna look when you're done. You never get done.

wickedblockhead
02-23-2010, 6:08 PM
Its good to have friends who really know what they are doing, cuz i sure as the hell dont

QUOTE=independentrider1;1673]
10. DON"T BUILD ANGRY!!!![/QUOTE]

oh boy, dont get me started. it is nice to focus on when youre pissed at the world though....just have a jack and coke first to take the edge off......

trnrover
02-23-2010, 6:37 PM
Use teflon tape on petcocks.

Eyeballing a measurement isn't always the best.

It sure would be nice to have a lift table.

WINTER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Harbor Freight one isn't too bad i don't suppose. Caught it on sale for like three hundred something with a 20% coupon, out the door for 279.00 regular price is 399.00. Coupons in Hot Bike pretty often. Had mine bout 4 months. Got 4 wheels with locks. The tire/wheel lock kinda flimsy, couldn't see myself not using ratchet straps though. I put 3 more sets of u-bolts on mine. Hydraulic jack does bleed off a bit [couple of inches in a week] stops on multi position bar when it does though. Past that worth the money so far. Also have side extensions available. Ididn't feel a need for em myself. http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx279/trnrover/100_1625.jpg By the way this is pre-teardown with the f'n yellow n tassles n thick frame n yadda yadda yadda

inxs
02-23-2010, 6:39 PM
Beers 1-3 are ok during build
Beers 3-9 make building unsafe
Beers 9 and up are great for creative thinking and that is it.

WOMPY
02-23-2010, 6:44 PM
Check twice, cut once, just like the old shop teacher taught us.

elbutche
02-23-2010, 6:45 PM
Beers 1-3 are ok during build
Beers 3-9 make building unsafe
Beers 9 and up are great for creative thinking and that is it.
BRUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ain't that the truth..
and over 12 is for brain explosions that you need to write down.

worst part is when i am done... me and the boys split a few cases and then...
i come up with another dumb idea and back to the cutting and welding again..
(once hang over clears)

I am never done i just find moments that she runs in between ideas.

Butche

Lbfam730
02-23-2010, 6:48 PM
one more for safety gears when using an angle grinder. also take yourself to see the doc if you think something big is wrong, like a piece of metal in your eye. i waited three days and it took forever to remove cuz it made it's way to the back. my excuse to the doc, i flushed it with water and i wasn't done with the project. stupid!

reverendpk9
02-24-2010, 12:24 AM
1) steel wedding ring + hot 12 volts = a nice wakeup
2) even if the guy on the throttle is the best trials rider you know, offering to help push the R1 streetfighter up some plywood placed on the steep ass stairs of the exit to the bomb shelter that you pumped 2 feet of water out of to use as a winter garage, while he rides up = 3\4 sheet of plywood being shot down the stairs into your shin (from what we figure the rear tire was doing 60) hairline fracture of the tibia, nasty infection from all the mold. Then got my nuts caught between the front tire and fender as I pulled from the forks and two guys almost dropped it as they pushed from the back. All of this was done sober so at least the shakedown ride to the E.R. was fun.

JeffFreeze
02-24-2010, 12:45 AM
one more for safety gears when using an angle grinder. also take yourself to see the doc if you think something big is wrong, like a piece of metal in your eye. i waited three days and it took forever to remove cuz it made it's way to the back. my excuse to the doc, i flushed it with water and i wasn't done with the project. stupid!

agreed...I went about 5 days and lost vision as it started to rust in my eye, good times

SportsterMike
02-24-2010, 12:45 AM
dont cut anything on the back of the bike with an angle grinder without first removing the rear wheel/tire.

towel + sparks from angle grinder = fire

put the bike on a jackstand BEFORE removing the rear shocks

never rush an install just so you can go ride, take your time or youll screw something up.

you can stuff 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag and bungee it to a 5in long "fender" just be creative

you can probably mix paint on a sporty with biltwell struts.

a bike completely black and void of any color or chrome will get boring to look at everyday.

research before making any purchase

EnglandStGarage
02-25-2010, 2:10 AM
never trust people with clean hands.

locktite locktite locktite.

always make sure your work area is clean and uncluttered.

measure twice, cut once.

Make sure you order the right part.

put your phone away so you can get into that rhythm.

when your frustrated and nothing seems to work. just walk away and try something else, get a beer and take a breather just get your mind off it for a couple of minutes. for some magical reason whenever i do that ill come back and figure it out right away.

"era specific" parts are way too expensive for me and i really dont care anyway. cheap parts that get me home safely are way cooler to me than spending tons of money on old, shitty parts so some guy who spent $800 on a bates will think im cool too. lame.

NEVER sell tools. id pay someone to punch me for selling my gas mig welder its the only tool ive ever sold and im hating myself ever since.

trnrover
02-25-2010, 2:14 AM
Last thing first.........first thing last ! Prep prep prep. And dammit i always hated on em in school.

xllance
02-25-2010, 2:41 AM
Shit I just realized the thread was for what I've learned during my last TWO bike builds, I'm still on my first so I guess I wasn't qualified to post here. Dammit to hell, I haven't really learned much of nuthin. Disregard my other post in this thread.

philbey
02-25-2010, 5:54 AM
yeh I have to say that I'm no good at managing my time in the shed either! I've made a list now so I can start at the top and just work through the shit to get done.

Psychophilly666
02-25-2010, 1:58 PM
TON of good responses here.

Volt-meter = friend
Ziploc bags marking where bolts and nuts go = friend
Bad idea to "Evel Knievel" your bike into the bed of your truck.

rustrocket84
02-25-2010, 5:03 PM
My most recent lesson was take the time to find the right tool. I was at work and didn't have access to my tools, so being unable to find a ball peen hammer I decided to use a framing hammer with my punch to mark some holes to drill. Said hammer skimmed off punch and grabbed ahold of my finger taking all the skin off from above and against my nail all the way down to the tip of my finger, leaving a blood blister too. Wrong tool, worse ending

BillySlicks
02-25-2010, 8:32 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zsVL6KKbABk/SlorT1bXMCI/AAAAAAAAAIo/q9Z8JZJ7diM/s400/jay2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zsVL6KKbABk/SlorMTCurKI/AAAAAAAAAIg/9agO4aev6tE/s400/jay1.jpg

this is our friend. wear your mask/ goggles when grinding. these look fake but they aint.

chew on that kids

HardlyDangerous
02-25-2010, 8:34 PM
Don't drill a bolt hole in the fender without something tough in between the fender and the tire!

xllance
02-25-2010, 8:51 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zsVL6KKbABk/SlorT1bXMCI/AAAAAAAAAIo/q9Z8JZJ7diM/s400/jay2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zsVL6KKbABk/SlorMTCurKI/AAAAAAAAAIg/9agO4aev6tE/s400/jay1.jpg

this is our friend. wear your mask/ goggles when grinding. these look fake but they aint.

chew on that kids

Also, don't spray paint your hair green.

BGRYN
02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
1. I can't weld sheet metal with my arc welder, but still try.
2. I got no patience, which makes things worse.
3. 3rd time is the charm, it seems.
4. Never handle header wrap then scratch your back.
5. Everthing seems to work out one way on another.
6. Don't scratch your balls with greasy hands.

turtle
02-25-2010, 11:39 PM
when ya get tired stop. Just set back relax and reflect

Revelator
02-26-2010, 1:42 AM
1. never use S&S gaskets
2. dont use Jims aluminum push rods
3. dont use candy paint on a MC frame, unless you like dings & chips. powder coat it.
the exception would be show bikes or bikes that are not riden hard, otherwise candy paint
just dont hold up compared to powder coating.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/lairdog/000_0080.jpg

TommyD
02-27-2010, 8:08 AM
patience