PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins.....

workingclass
10-17-2009, 6:06 PM
So, like most I found a deal I couldn't pass up. So for very little coin I brought home this XS650. The plans are the same, build it for as little as possible and make as much for it as I can. Just got the hardtail today and already have a nice little piece designed by myself and cut by CNC laser with some much needed help from a good friend. So anyway, here's so far and I'll try to post progress.

TwistyMcFisty
10-17-2009, 9:08 PM
Congrats on the new project....have fun!

workingclass
10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Ok, so hardtail is on. Frame has been stripped of all unwanted brackets/welds. Wheels are getting media blasted today and then relaced, front 21" rear stock 16". The tank in the photo is just for mock up, actual tank is a old flat bottom sporty, cut down the middle and narrowed by about 2.5" with a new tunnel and mounts. Just got put on furlow from work for the next 5 wks so the idea is to have it done by that time.

billybiltit
10-22-2009, 12:45 PM
super nice job on the rigid,looks great.can't wait to see this thing come together,keep us posted.

leon holmes

workingclass
12-11-2009, 3:07 PM
Got some new parts fabbed up for the scoot. Seat pan, bars, and footpeg mounts also a licence plate mount. The licence plate mount came out killer and if anyone is interested I'm thinking of doing a small parts run of these. They'll be set up for the XS650 axle but if someone needs one for a Harley just give me the axle size and I can run a few of those as well. Price will be $60 shipped and will come in raw metal finish that way you can do what you like. I'll put a listing in the classifieds as well but thought I'd get a feeling for how many to make from my fellow Jap bike builders. Also, waiting on getting the wheels laced and new rubber mounted. Once that happens alot more fab work and mock up will begin.

crkhobbit
12-11-2009, 7:52 PM
I like the bars - they're just different enough.

workingclass
02-14-2010, 7:38 PM
Haven't been able to update as much as I should. Got the wheels relaced and trued, a Fat Katz fender blank ready to be worked. Got the foot peg mounts figured out and will post detailed photos soon. They should be really clean and plenty strong. Cut the original bars down 4" mounted the seat and taillight/licence plate bracket and fabbed up a headlight bracket. Waiting on some parts for the motor and will hopefully have the tank mounted by this weekend.

draggin37
02-14-2010, 8:30 PM
what are the specs on the elswick bolt on. Looks good and i gotta say i like thos way better than the Tcbros. personnel opinion. wich bars are you using? the ones you had pictured above were pretty sweet. looks great so far. inspiration to get started on mine

workingclass
02-15-2010, 2:11 PM
what are the specs on the elswick bolt on. Looks good and i gotta say i like thos way better than the Tcbros. personnel opinion. wich bars are you using? the ones you had pictured above were pretty sweet. looks great so far. inspiration to get started on mine

If I remember right it has a 2.5" stretch and a 4" ride height. I'm with you on the TCB rear end. I have no doubt it's a solid unit I just prefer the lines of the Elswick. The bars I'll be using are the ones pictured on the bike, a 7" t-bar set. The others are just some I came up with while playin around. Thanks for the compliments and good luck on yours, it's a blast to do.

billybiltit
02-15-2010, 4:20 PM
lookin good.

leon

philbey
02-15-2010, 6:14 PM
rad, pics saved and noted; I'm making a collection of pics with details of frame dimensions so that I can cross reference for the next build. Those Elswick frames look pretty tight, I might get on next time.

workingclass
02-21-2010, 8:51 PM
Got to the shop this weekend and made some parts. Figured out how I wanted to mount the footpegs thanks to this forum. Also tried my hand at some hammer forming for my tank bottom, have to say it came out pretty sweet again thanks to this forum mainly Special 79's youtube page cool videos and super helpful. Got the rear fender blank cut, need to fine tune and mount. Coming along, gaining momentum hope to have it ready soon. Spring is just around the corner and I want to be ready.

workingclass
02-21-2010, 8:55 PM
Some photos of the hammer forming. I'll post more when I get the bottom welded to the tank. Also plan on making a roller for doing the tunnels. Again thanks to Special 79, this cat has really inspired me and really seems to know his craft.

ElswickCycles
02-23-2010, 4:17 PM

Hey workingclass, Nice fabrication work. I like the direction your bikes going in. Looking forward to seeing more.

Each of our hardtails are built to order and our jig is fully adjustable so we can build them any length from stock to 6" over and can set them up for any ride height.
Robert

philbey
02-23-2010, 4:36 PM
Yeh chopping those factory peg mounts up is a great way to do it, I reckon I'll do the same for mine.

workingclass
02-24-2010, 2:15 PM
Hey workingclass, Nice fabrication work. I like the direction your bikes going in. Looking forward to seeing more.

Each of our hardtails are built to order and our jig is fully adjustable so we can build them any length from stock to 6" over and can set them up for any ride height.
Robert

Thanks Robert, the whole thing started with your hardtail. The bike just sort of built itself from there. The stance it has just sort of dictates the build. You make a great part, thanks again

Bozi
02-25-2010, 7:20 AM
Looks like itl be a nice build. Im about to do an xs, so I been lurking around here. I like yours.

& yes, Robert Elswick got the tails right. He is high quality, & normally fast as well.

Im glad you mention S 79 has videos up, that wil be my fun for after work, he does great stuff.

workingclass
03-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Got a bit more done. Got the tank mounted the rear fender mounted on the lower end and working on a sissy bar mount. Also figured out the footpeg issue and have those mounted up as well. Need to get the right hardware for the footpegs but for now it's good for the rest of the mock up of the soon to come pipes and rear brake set up.

TheDemon
03-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Great Job on the build so far, the metal work on the tank is pretty rad. Reading and seeing stuff like this really makes me want to get started on my CB750 project again and finally get her done. Keep us posted

workingclass
03-09-2010, 9:38 PM
Great Job on the build so far, the metal work on the tank is pretty rad. Reading and seeing stuff like this really makes me want to get started on my CB750 project again and finally get her done. Keep us posted

Thanks Demon, it's been a real blast building this bike. I'm learning more and more each day and have figured out, it's just metal and really not all that hard. Sometimes that first cut or weld takes a deep breath beforehand but hey no guts no glory right? Good luck with your project, be sure to post your progress to keep the stoke alive.

ghostling
03-12-2010, 9:23 AM
Man this thing is looking great!

workingclass
03-12-2010, 5:11 PM
Thanks Ghostling, it's getting closer and closer with each passing weekend. I hope to get the sissy bar mounted this weekend, I'll post pics. Next up will be the pipes and getting the wiring figured out. I want to hide as much of it as possible, make nearly invisible, that's the goal anyway.

workingclass
03-14-2010, 7:06 PM
Ok, so now I can stop please don't mind the welds, my welder decided to act up so they aint as pretty as I'd like. And the sissy bar is bent it's a simple design but figured it fit the bikes lines and the mounts for the frame are nearly done. Should have it done tomorrow nite.

workingclass
03-14-2010, 7:11 PM
some shots of the sissy bar mount tabs. Found these mounts through Fastenal and they worked out great.

workingclass
03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Sissybar tacked up, I'll TIG weld the frame tabs this weekend and also finish weld/mold the fender mounts. Hope to have a nice simple pipe design this weekend as well.

tobiism
03-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! That frame looks SO fucking cool!

killtheking
03-18-2010, 10:14 AM
that profile is sexy as hell!! like your lower fender mount. really clean.

revmike
03-18-2010, 8:31 PM
Running the lights on the sissy is really a great way to go. Functional and stylish. Great job so far. I wish my old lady would hard tail her XS

~Rev Mike

workingclass
03-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words, I've pulled alot of inspiration from all of you on this site. The more I look around the more I'm impressed with what y'all are coming up with without the big high dollar machines and full shops. Killer work indeed.

workingclass
03-26-2010, 5:27 PM
Got the site glass in the tank, have a petcock and filler neck coming this week. Mocked up a set of pipes, I like em simple like the lines of the bike. I'm really hoping to do the first start ritual in the next couple of weeks.

baravettski
03-26-2010, 7:21 PM
Lookin' great! What's that front tire, if you don't mind me asking? Trying to find something like that for mine.

viz
03-26-2010, 7:41 PM
Great job so far. The build looks awesome

workingclass
03-26-2010, 9:43 PM
Lookin' great! What's that front tire, if you don't mind me asking? Trying to find something like that for mine.

I ordered it from western power sports. I don't know off the top of my head, I'll get the info tomorrow and post up the info on the tire.

workingclass
03-26-2010, 9:44 PM
Great job so far. The build looks awesome

Thanks Viz, its been a blast and it's gettin real close. Hopefully on the day I give it it's first kicks I'll have some video to post.

baravettski
03-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Right on, thanks.

workingclass
03-27-2010, 8:39 PM
Ok Baravettski, it's a D.O.T Shinko trials tire a 21 x 2.75. They're fairly inexpensive. After I get the bike running and get some miles on it, I'll post up some handling info. It seems like it'll be a good sticky tire being a trials tire so we'll see. I also have the 16" rear to match I'm not using, I went a different route.