PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problems

tommybored
10-16-2009, 1:07 AM
I am having problems shifting gears its like it wont go in to first in less i jiggle it with my hand any thoughts what it might be thanks

shop102
10-16-2009, 7:01 AM
type of bike?? most old jap bikes have an adjuster screw with a 12 mil lock nut? let me (us) know what type of bike. will make diagnosis easier

shop102
10-16-2009, 7:40 AM
nevermind, you've got the XS. on the shifter side there is a chrome cap. once removed you will see a phillips head with a 12 mil lock nut. before adjusting take ALL of the adjustment out at the bars. loosen the lock nut and turn the screw counter clockwise until you feel resistance. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. squeeze the lever and see what you get. if you here a POP its to tight. hope this helps

tommybored
10-19-2009, 1:52 AM
i tryed that it did not work its still not going in gear now its not going in to any gear any ideas
thanks

shop102
10-19-2009, 3:31 AM
did u readjust the lever

tommybored
10-19-2009, 12:00 PM
yes

tommybored
10-19-2009, 9:18 PM
the cable broke going to order one and some others might have some ? for you

YcMatt
10-19-2009, 9:36 PM
first thing to do is get a manul or download one off the net for free, if you dont already have one. secondly sounds like you might need to take your clutch basket off and check to see that your shifter assembly is properly adjusted. also check to see if any of the shift cam dowels pins are worn. if they are replace them. that could be causing the problem.

XStar
11-06-2009, 3:04 PM
make sure you have 2, i repeat, 2 washers between the basket and the inner hub. one washer will be the roller bearing and the other is just a flat washer. the clymers manual only shows one washer and this will cause a very hard shift. i put an xs together about 8 years ago that i couldn't figure out. that was the problem. the flat washer goes toward the inner hub and the roller goes to the basket side. you will make yourself crazy if these two washers are not in there...trust me. i am talking about the clutch basket...sorry if this was confusing.