PDA

View Full Version : 1974 CB750 Fresh from the Grave

dannyb
10-15-2009, 9:10 PM
In 1980 my dad welcomed his first son to the world, and parked his 1974 CB750 in our dirt floored shed. Nearly 30 years later, I'm about to be a father for the first time, and i decided that the old 750/4 has been in exile long enough. As my dad parked his old bike in our shed after the birth of his first son, i think its only fitting that the bike be resurrected as a way to celebrate the birth of his first grandchild.

I'm not shooting for a 100% restoration here, but want to get it running and looking like it did when he parked it in 1980, twisted steel square bar passenger foot pegs and all.

It looks really rough, but after removing the 1 1/2 inch layer of dust on a couple places, the tank still spakles underneith and even the various stickers on the frame still look like new, as does some of the chrome. Only shows 9000 miles plus change. Plenty of stuff to do though, and it will be a complete teardown and cleaning of every part.

This project is gonna take a long time, but that's okay. Hopefully grandpa, dad and the kid are gonna be around a long time to enjoy it.

shop102
10-15-2009, 10:20 PM
thats awesome. my first son was born 2 weeks ago. i finished my XS650 before he was born and vowed that he WILL ride it one day. I here where your coming from, very cool.

born2boogie
10-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Shit... ride it as is. Haha.

lobstermobster
10-16-2009, 1:34 PM
Shit... ride it as is. Haha.

ha. thats what I was thinking. At least if it ran, give it one good ride through town... the looks would be pretty funny.

But over all, minus the dust it looks like heaven. im sure youll make it look good in a matter of no time.

billybiltit
10-16-2009, 2:03 PM
great save,noble goal!
can't wait to watch it fly apart and back together.that thing makes my triumph when i pulled it out of storage look almost clean,haha. keep us posted,
leon holmes

dannyb
10-16-2009, 6:34 PM
We went to the doctor today, and finally found out that my wife will be having a baby girl! I was in the Army, and it appears that the "Infantrymans Curse" holds true. Changes things in my mind a bit, but obviously i'm still really excited.

I'll continue to post on the cb750 as it progresses. We are hoping to start pulling it apart this weekend.

gravelveins
10-16-2009, 8:12 PM
dude, first of all congrats...i've got a 6 month old boy...he is awesome.
second, i think it's awesome what you're doing with the bike.
good luck....it takes a bold man to stare at all the dust and keep going.

jason43
10-16-2009, 8:27 PM
Thats the dustiest bike I've ever seen!

Looks like its good under though, good luck with the resto!

HWC
10-16-2009, 8:41 PM
man,,id rock that like she sets ...
clean the carbs ,fresh oil an gas
let her rip

dannyzion
10-17-2009, 9:28 AM
thats awesome. do it up. Im having my 1st son as well in Dec ! psyched ...cant wait to build him a bike

TwistyMcFisty
10-17-2009, 9:07 PM
Looks like a super fun project...get the old man involved!

billdozer
10-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Congrats on the baby girl.

I bet if you went through the carbs/petcock/tank and put fresh plugs in that thing it'd fire right up. I'm sure the pads are locked in the calipers from condensation but you can fix that in an hour with some elbow grease. Keep us posted on the progress, cool old bike, cool reasons for pulling it out, etc.

rustrocket84
10-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Congrats on the baby girl. My daughter is 3 and hangs out with dad in the garage whenever I make it out there. I've got an old Rupp Roadster mini bike that is in need of alot of love that she sits on, and keeps asking when she can ride it. I also have 3 bikes in the garage, two projects and my work "truck" an 04 road glide. She knows the difference between the "motorcycles" and the "chopper" project bike I've got. Wouldn't change it for anything. And kid number two is due in April.

dannyb
10-18-2009, 6:37 PM
Thanks for the show of support fellas. I leave for Sacramento (first time in Califonia) on friday for two weeks of work with the forest service, and then when i get back, pops and i plan to start tearing into the bike (after deer hunting season of course). Good thing about my home in Minnesota, is that we have extreemly long frigid winters, and plenty of time to wrench in the garage. A heated garage is a must have up here.

rustrocket84
10-21-2009, 9:37 PM
Where you at in MN. My parents live just north of Brainerd

dannyb
10-22-2009, 12:10 PM

I live in St. Cloud, which is only about 45min-1hour south from Brainerd. The bike is at my dads shop in Mankato, Mn. Your folks must like the cold, living that far north. Absoulutly beutifull in the summer/sprin/fall, but you freeze your ass off in the winter. Last January it didnt get above 0 degrees all month, and we saw -25 below zero a couple times.

dannyb
10-22-2009, 12:11 PM

Looks like you headed for warmer pastures. Wish i was that smart.

ogri
10-26-2009, 5:26 PM
I'd totally ride that as it is - absolutely awesome.

Konaboy1972
10-26-2009, 6:16 PM
Dude, sweet score and ride it as is. Well, maybe wash it first but ride her and enjoy the history and memories that come with her.