PDA

View Full Version : New trend?

oldschoolsoldier
10-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Okay I was riding around the other day and saw three black dynas with little fairing on it! You know what I am talking about the Sons of Anarchy style bike.

Is this the new "bobber" or bagger? Is this what we are all going to be seeing next riding season?

imtheslime
10-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Seen any HA's lately? As far as I know that fairing thing has been going on for a while. I'm guessing that is where SOA picked up the idea.

ChoppyGee
10-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Yeh I live in a little town on I-80 all groups of 1%ers i saw this summer had at least one bike with a tiny little windbreaker on it.

oldschoolsoldier
10-12-2009, 12:41 AM
I am not saying that I dislike this style of bike. I really dont see a lot of HA's in Utah I see mostly Bandidos actually....

kingdeadbeat
10-12-2009, 12:51 AM
This style has been around for a while, unlike alot of Johnny-come-latelys on this board.

Up next:Rabbit bars with matching absurd sissy bars.....six bends:"The new z-bars/t-bars/attack bars!!!!!".....lets see who pulls out the old bota bag first to rehash that shit too!!! FUCK JANE FONDA......DOWN WITH HOT PANTS!!!!

ChoppyGee
10-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Shit i know! they're all over Utah. All the ones i've encountered have been really cool.

Toecutterp
10-12-2009, 1:18 AM
Next riding season? Sounds like something fashion fags would say. Say with lisp " and next on the run way we have Snake riding a 010 dyna Assorized with Drag specialties new bikini faring" No it's a bike with a small fairing, lotes of bike have them and have had them. It's like moving on the first of the month, you think wow everybody's moving look at all the trucks packed with shit. You just now notice because of the man opera. (That i just got done watching;) Did you catch what they were packing Old school:)

oldschoolsoldier
10-12-2009, 1:35 AM
Like I said I dont have a problems with this style. It just seems like I am seeing a lot more of them thats all.

bwleather
10-12-2009, 9:30 AM
See that shit everywhere we go here in "Nor Cal". I don't mind the style, but a shit load of dudes all riding the same bikes? I'll just stop there. Now that you'll be looking for them, you'll probably notice that most are blacked out Dyna Sport models, keeping the mid controls, small fairing (as you stated, 6-8 inch risers & sportster bars. Totaly utilitarian. The part that you've got to appreciate though, is that these dudes have got there twin cams hopped up like a motherfucker! I don't care who ya are, that shit's cool.

KT
10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I went to the springfield swap meet in ohio yesterday saw a outcast and mostly riders for christ but it was 80% harleys 15% british and 5% jap and outta all the harlyes there I would say 75% or more was riding this style ...So yea it is a very popular style of harley and all that....

irishrich317
10-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I am not saying that I dislike this style of bike. I really dont see a lot of HA's in Utah I see mostly Bandidos actually....

http://www.shamrockfabrication.com/bandit_dyna.jpg

justin666
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
This style has been around for a while, unlike alot of Johnny-come-latelys on this board.

Up next:Rabbit bars with matching absurd sissy bars.....six bends:"The new z-bars/t-bars/attack bars!!!!!".....lets see who pulls out the old bota bag first to rehash that shit too!!! FUCK JANE FONDA......DOWN WITH HOT PANTS!!!!

and the misfits arent trendy at all ;)
i still rock their patch though

STANDARD
10-12-2009, 12:30 PM
if your wondering why all these "CLUB" bikes are like this....take note...

they ride.... FAR and FAST.. hits the performance upgrades...look past the fairing...look at the other parts used!

they give 2 shit normally about how they just scored some fucked up bates seat..that has SOUL...or a tiny little headlight off a packard??
or if there VANS match there flaked-out retro helmet... not saying that style is'nt cool either...just a different view...

its all about SPEED!..

i dig the shit out of that style...ill be the first to admit..it....it was the blueprint for my evo bike....big motor, big brakes, suspention...

tobiism
10-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Fuck yeah man, you hit the nail on the head. too much emphasis on fashion these days, and not riding!

if your wondering why all these "CLUB" bikes are like this....take note...

they ride.... FAR and FAST.. hits the performance upgrades...look past the fairing...look at the other parts used!

they give 2 shit normally about how they just scored some fucked up bates seat..that has SOUL...or a tiny little headlight off a packard??
or if there VANS match there flaked-out retro helmet... not saying that style is'nt cool either...just a different view...

its all about SPEED!..

i dig the shit out of that style...ill be the first to admit..it....it was the blueprint for my evo bike....big motor, big brakes, suspention...

FlatheadJedd
10-12-2009, 1:10 PM
Dynas with little fairing have been the "club bike" style for quite some time. You can date this back to the days of the FXR "club bike" As a joke I added a little fairing to my Street Bob. It was laying around Wes' shop so I put it on. Haven't taken it off yet. They film Sons of Anarchy all around where I live. I plan to sneak in with my fairing bike, steal SOA colors and sell them on ebay to fund my next build. It's a fool proof plan. Who's in?

RockinRyan
10-12-2009, 1:28 PM
yup. the HAs in so-cal have been rocking the black dyna with fairing, t-bars, thunderheader etc. for as long as I can remember. Its very likely that the SOA show creators based their bikes off the ones they saw the HAs riding around in hollywood on.

In any case, the show will probably cause more of the "mainstream" biker crowd to start riding that style of bike as well. Who cares though? I'd rather see guys on suped up dynas than baggers and billet "choppers" anyway.

STANDARD
10-12-2009, 2:16 PM
the post above!

Amen!

Kickfiend
10-12-2009, 4:13 PM
I like the look, and I think its pretty cool that the look comes from the 80s street bike kinda style with little fairings like this 81 GPZ. Its funny how trends kinda recycle themselves and come back so many years later.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/kagy447/1981GPZ550.jpg

kingdeadbeat
10-12-2009, 7:05 PM
and the misfits arent trendy at all ;)
i still rock their patch though

HEY!!!!!! ..I got the addicts on there too buddy, so watch your mouth.....they aren't at Hot Topic yet are they???lol

Pantsbeer
10-13-2009, 1:09 AM
HEY!!!!!! ..I got the addicts on there too buddy, so watch your mouth.....they aren't at Hot Topic yet are they???lol

First sorry to say I think they are. Second from my understanding and from what a friend of mine whos been around for a while said that styles been around since the 80's. The HA's run those bikes like a motherfucker in norcal. Theres alot of other clubs around here that rock that style also. The SOA has someone from the HA's helping with the show and bikes from what I was told. Theres actually a few on the show (non mainstream actors) that are actual HA's. I see the point that it did seem like they just popped up out of nowhere but I remember seeing them before the show started.

Toecutterp
10-13-2009, 1:26 AM
In 79 harley had a stock bike with one on it, might be wrong with the year but around that time

imtheslime
10-13-2009, 2:10 AM
In 79 harley had a stock bike with one on it, might be wrong with the year but around that time

I almost forgot about that XLCR, only 3,400 made ...
The Willie G. Special... One was just on CL here the other day for like 14k or some shit stupid, cream puff though.

I think the first year was 77'
Only 9 made is 79'
http://www.ironheadmotors.com/shoptalk.htm
http://images.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=willie%20G%20xlcr&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

RockinRyan
10-13-2009, 2:42 AM
Don't forget about the FXDXT from a few years ago. They didn't make many of these either.

http://shauntrim.com/HD%20Wallpaper/Fxdxt.jpg

gigastatt
10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Here in NY the a few of the local Red and White sport the Dynas pictured in Irish Rich's post with upside down front ends, big brakes, mini fairings and full face helmets. Another Bike of choice is the V-rod decked out the same way. From what I can see it is for traveling far and fast in any weather.
Tim

justin666
10-13-2009, 3:07 PM

haha! dude everything cool is at hot topic! duh!!! ;)

rusjack
10-13-2009, 3:11 PM
http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/113/460/597/5zoO.jpg

these things look really great

irishrich317
10-13-2009, 4:40 PM
http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/113/460/597/5zoO.jpg

these things look really great

Yes, it does. But, Harley "borrowed" the smal fairing on the XLCR from the '73 BMW R90S.

Harley was just about 4 years too late on the XLCR. It was a bike with no market when they finally came out with it.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/exhibits/BMW/images/BMW-R-90-S.jpg

mikestobbe
10-13-2009, 4:52 PM
Rich , I read in the new Iron Horse mag a few issues back that the producers hung out at a clubhouse up in norcal with some local chapters as a sort of fact finding mission . Had a few guys on the set also as technical advisors . Stuff like that .

And yeah the staff car style bikes have been on t he road for a good while now , just suddenly you see them everywhere because of that show . I still like that style though for a modern lane splitter / fuzz ditcher .

h8ter
10-13-2009, 5:14 PM
Rich , I read in the new Iron Horse mag a few issues back that the producers hung out at a clubhouse up in norcal with some local chapters as a sort of fact finding mission . Had a few guys on the set also as technical advisors . Stuff like that .

And yeah the staff car style bikes have been on t he road for a good while now , just suddenly you see them everywhere because of that show . I still like that style though for a modern lane splitter / fuzz ditcher .

Hey Mike, I've actually loved this style of bike for years and have been researching them for about that long. This is the second time I've seen you call them staff car style bikes. Is there a reason for this? I googled, but only came up with old military cars (and a Ferrari "Chopper").

Unfortunately, SOA will make these things as ubiquitous as the Street Glide is now. So, I'll force myself to wait a bit longer. The plus side is after all the trend humpers are done, they'll be waaaaay cheaper...

STANDARD
10-13-2009, 5:22 PM
the best part about all the cats sporting the "NEW" style ..lol

is that the "MAN" wont be able to single out "anyone" anymore..ya know

thats the positive side of all this!.....haha

oldschoolsoldier
10-13-2009, 10:18 PM
I really dig this one...

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg124/glockanator/DDFXD1.jpg

Bobbed883
10-14-2009, 7:30 AM
Well...some of us like both styles (cool little bikes and big fast Dynas), here's my FXDL: http://chopcult.com/uploads_user/2000/1248/8086.jpg

...damn, my garage is messy!

Kokuma
10-14-2009, 7:52 AM
Fairings of any kind and configuration defeat the purpose of being "in the wind" so to speak. But, to each their own I suppose. If the wind bothers you, then get in the car!

Bobbed883
10-14-2009, 8:41 AM
Fairings of any kind and configuration defeat the purpose of being "in the wind" so to speak. But, to each their own I suppose. If the wind bothers you, then get in the car!

I guess everything we do to our bikes has to be for "function", nothing can be done cuz we just like how it looks? Last time I rode the Dyna that 6 inches of plastic really didn't block much wind.

...and my car is a soft top Jeep, so I'm screwed regardless. ;)

mikestobbe
10-14-2009, 8:45 AM
Hey Mike. . . . This is the second time I've seen you call them staff car style bikes. Is there a reason for this?

Actually I just sort of made that term up one day talking with some friends , you know how like the FBI guys always show up in a group of blacked out Expeditions , or all blacked out Lincolns .

When a pack of 1%ers all ride up on blacked out Dynas it just looks like a bunch of " men in black " types in their all black staff cars .

STANDARD
10-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Trade me that fxdl for my shovel...

pangeaspeed
02-09-2010, 2:05 AM
i like little fairings... i am building one on my new chopper. probably wont do much wind blocking but i think it will look kinda crazy ha!

Revelator
02-09-2010, 2:49 AM

thank you

dirtbag42
11-24-2010, 9:19 AM
I have a new Bob with 10.5 shocks, 14 in Tbars, Thunderheader and Ness 1/4 fairing.
I've loved this style of bike forever, and the only downside i've found to rocking it now a days is all the douchebags coming up to me at the bar and compementing my "Son's Bike."

I just ordered a night rod fairing to replace the larger one, hoping this cuts down on people associating me with the make believe bike club on FX.

It's like any other trend that goes around this culture; the cool shit has always been cool, it's the ignorant idiots who think it's a new style.

Ride fast and dangerous boys...

-DUKE

KeithinSB
11-24-2010, 9:37 AM
Actually I just sort of made that term up one day talking with some friends , you know how like the FBI guys always show up in a group of blacked out Expeditions , or all blacked out Lincolns .

When a pack of 1%ers all ride up on blacked out Dynas it just looks like a bunch of " men in black " types in their all black staff cars .

Tagged around here as FXDHA bikes.....

hdobsessed
11-24-2010, 12:38 PM
That TV is some powerful shit, I see alot of them fairngs in FLA> and them SOA shirts also...

wickedblockhead
11-24-2010, 1:03 PM

thats all fine and good, but most of my riding is commuting to work on the interstate at high speed. ive got broad shoulders and my body is like a sail in the wind. my shit is all practical. i ran a huge windsheild on that fucker for awhile but that sucked. furthermore being on a bike in the rain with my fairing is nothing like being in a car in the same sitch. :cheersmate:

wickedblockhead
11-24-2010, 1:05 PM
i just noticed how old this thread was... damn

Daddyo
11-24-2010, 3:31 PM

I'm guessing you don't ride much in colder weather.
There is a LARGE difference between riding at 80 mph in sub freezing temps with a windshield, and driving a car.
If you don't understand that then you don't ride in the cold much, or for very long distances.
Some of us ride every day regardless of the weather (ice & snow packed roads excepted usually) and put in quite a few miles per week in cold and hot.

DO, happily, and somewhat comfortably trucking thru the winter.

ShovelEd
11-24-2010, 3:37 PM
The little fairings have been around for a long time. Your just noticing them more now probably cuz of the show. Ness has been making them since the early 80s. I have one on my dyna. Its off a vrod. Its a great spot to stash stuff. gloves hats water bottle.

Lordmerciless
11-29-2010, 5:43 PM
Yes, we get it...that style has been around since the caveman.
I know a group of guys that all styled their Dyna's like this right around the time SOA came out.
Definitely a trend.

shiftace
11-29-2010, 6:34 PM
Yes, we get it...that style has been around since the caveman.
I know a group of guys that all styled their Dyna's like this right around the time SOA came out.
Definitely a trend.

who?

33anda3rdreich
02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Im styling my sporty after this kind of bike. Looks bad ass to me. I love choppers too.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dont judge a book by its fairlng LOL

Comingapart
02-07-2011, 1:47 PM
Don't know shit about HA's and never watched SOA. There has been a lot of Dyna's showing up with those fairings around here lately though.

Not my thing, but then again, they're not my bikes either...

jluck27
02-08-2011, 9:11 AM
I'm gonna put a toaster on the front of mine. It will look titties and be delicious!

imaloser
02-10-2011, 2:56 PM
They look cool enough.
On the show...Isnt Happy a HA? Heard that someplace.

badmojo
02-10-2011, 4:16 PM
Who really gives a flying fuck!!!

gyro
02-10-2011, 4:28 PM
this sucks so much. By the time I learn how to do my own sweet ass flat black spray paint job on my bike thats not cool anymore. now by the time I save up enough money to get one of thoses crazy flake jobs with all the trippy colors and change my whole bike around to be skinny we will be back to big fat bikes and big fat back tires. I am always the last to catch up to these fucking trends and by the time I do its to late we are off to something new. Oh well fugit. I guess I 'll just hold what I got until that trend comes back around and then maybe I'll be cool.

superglide
02-10-2011, 4:28 PM
Who really gives a flying fuck!!!

+ 1 This is one old ass stupid thread

Hooligan80
02-10-2011, 5:35 PM
They look cool enough.
On the show...Isnt Happy a HA? Heard that someplace.

Yup...David Labrava