PDA

View Full Version : Texas and New Mexico

Travis
05-26-2011, 7:36 PM
Looking into moving to the El Paso or Las Cruces area and was wondering if anyone knows first hand if you have to have turn signals in either state. I heard Texas is a pain in the ass when it comes to D.M.V related stuff.

Thanks

CoyoteUSP
05-26-2011, 8:11 PM
No signals in TX, but make sure you have a horn of some sort. Shit they'll let you get away with a squeeze horn off a bicycle as long as you've got it. Really not too tough beyond that.

Diablo
05-26-2011, 8:14 PM
Not sure about the turn signals, good question cuz I'm bringing my chop down from NC this year cuz I'm moving back to El Paso and I'm not putting any turn signals. But I can say Las Cruces is boring as shit, El Paso rules. Either way watch out for those Fronche drivers. If you don't know what I mean, you'll find out.

Saltytonk
05-26-2011, 8:19 PM
Not required to have blinkers. If they are on the bike , they must work. thats the only stipulation. No helmet as long as you have an endorsement. Texas is biker friendly.

LilGeneral
05-26-2011, 8:47 PM
Texas you need, front and rear brake, mirror, tail light, Head light, horn ( a real horn not a squeaky one ) brake light off the rear ( foot ) brake.

Depends where you go though, some people want baffles also.

FYI. my bike is missing 3 out of the sentence and I get it passed every year. Most people will put a horn and mirror on just for inspection then just take them right back off.

Travis
05-27-2011, 4:22 AM
Thanks for the info guys! Both of my bikes are still wired for signals but the stock ones ended up in the trash. I was just going to start planning to pick up some aftermarket stuff if needed. As for the rest of the lights and horn I'm good.

Travis
05-27-2011, 4:30 AM
Not sure about the turn signals, good question cuz I'm bringing my chop down from NC this year cuz I'm moving back to El Paso and I'm not putting any turn signals. But I can say Las Cruces is boring as shit, El Paso rules. Either way watch out for those Fronche drivers. If you don't know what I mean, you'll find out.

I've been down there enough to know what you mean about the drivers. Yeah Las Cruces is kinda Granny & Grampsville.

SuperP
05-27-2011, 7:06 AM
I got mine inspected in EP with a chrome bicycle squeeze horn ziptied to the handlebars. No blinkers. I think state law is that IF you have them, they have to work. Other than that, Hi/Low beams, brake light, and demonstrate the bike can brake.

Spade115
05-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I used a bicycle horn once or twice to get my bike passed by inspection and no signals.

perrocallejero
05-28-2011, 8:17 AM
NM - no turn signals

orphan68
05-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I've seen lots of bike around El Paso and Las Cruces without any of the mentioned gear. I know that when I was shopping around for insurance, the insurance company wanted me to have the turn signals because the bike came with them. Most inspection stations are cool and the cops aren't that bad either. Lots of riding year round as well. When do you move back???

Pizzile
05-29-2011, 1:43 PM
inspection in texas changes from county to county. generally you need a headlight, brake/tail light, licenceplate light, a working brake and horn (if orginially equipped with one). in dfw you are required to have an odeometer for documentions sake. if you want skip all of that register it as a vintage motorcycle and you don't need an inspection at all. i registered as a classic and was told i don't need an inspection when i went to get one, not sure if that is correct, guess i'll find out when i get pulled over.

Travis
06-01-2011, 8:15 PM
I've seen lots of bike around El Paso and Las Cruces without any of the mentioned gear. I know that when I was shopping around for insurance, the insurance company wanted me to have the turn signals because the bike came with them. Most inspection stations are cool and the cops aren't that bad either. Lots of riding year round as well. When do you move back???

I should be there by September at the latest, I have a interview this weekend so if all goes well it may before.

Lbfam730
06-01-2011, 8:35 PM
Lived in New Mexico for a bit and bought the bike in El Paso. New Mexico don't give a shit, as long as you have working headlight, taillight, and a license plate. I lived in Alamogordo, so visiting Las Cruces and El Paso was like being in NYC.

creaturefiend1972
06-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Lived in New Mexico for a bit and bought the bike in El Paso. New Mexico don't give a shit, as long as you have working headlight, taillight, and a license plate. I lived in Alamogordo, so visiting Las Cruces and El Paso was like being in NYC.

I lived in el chuco (El Paso for those who dont know) during my high school years, and skated all over that place, those were some crazy times fuck we would leave school at noon and go to Juarez and drink n drown. ha,ha. Still have lots of family there. If your ever in the segundo barrio (not sure why you would be) my uncles (RIP) house has a cool mural on the side with his chevy and panhead painted on it he was an old biker and founder of the Ironhorses MC. I wish i wasnt such a fuck off skate rat at the time and didnt care about anything but skating to appriciate his knowledge and all.

Lbfam, did you like Alamogordo? I hate that place my parents live there now and its so depressing in that town. ELP is like NYC compared to that place. ha,ha

Lbfam730
06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Alamogordo was the worst place i've ever visited/lived. I was there for 10 months and couldn't stand it.

creaturefiend1972
06-02-2011, 3:07 PM
Alamogordo was the worst place i've ever visited/lived. I was there for 10 months and couldn't stand it.

ha,ha ha yeah thats what i thought. I hate that place. Though I was up in Ruidoso last summer and I saw a sick chopper real good looking bike and was way suprised because it was a local thats for sure.

fastbastard
06-03-2011, 11:43 PM
I m in albuquerque and don't have signal horn speedo or mirrors, never had a problem.

Troy69
06-06-2011, 7:56 PM
I havnt had signal lights or horn on either of my bikes. Im in Ruidoso NM. There is a small group here that run chop cult style stuff.
Here there is a big population of retired folks. i was lucky enough to meet a transplant retiree thats a vintage harley guru. He's kinda become a metor of sorts.
I'm not a huge fan of Cruses or of New Mexico anymore(ive been here 15 years). Its just a little to small town anymore and pretty low class. But that being said the riding is pretty damn good.

orphan68
06-07-2011, 9:09 PM
Good luck on your interview Travis and hope to see ya 'round.

highwayhooligan
11-11-2012, 3:25 PM
The only thing worthwhile in Alamo is The Brown Bag Deli.

nunez8853
11-11-2012, 3:45 PM
So I was born here but lived in many different places, let me say its nice being home but I hate this place. Its not the fact that its 103 F, 9 months out of the year but its that the drivers here have no respect for the bikers half of them are from mexico and the other 20% are dumb fuckin kids with sports cars 20% are GI's back from the middle east so they go like 100 mph at an min(not talking shit or anything its just kinda freaky when they fly by you) and everybody fuckin runs everybody off the road. no lie man. DMV is chill as long as you point your arms cops dont hassle you for not sigs. but if you dont have a mirror god help you make sure you have atleast one.

mmm other than that if you can live with people trying to kill you on the road your good man. maybe ill see you out here riding sometime hit me up if you come out.

mfarris
11-11-2012, 4:19 PM
This list is off the Tx DPS website. The last two bikes i got inspected here they just checked my insurance and slapped the sticker on

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/silvradokid93/EBD2EA3F-1220-412D-8671-06F94C372CA2-2113-000001361E9A4109.jpg

blackedout
02-17-2013, 4:02 PM
I'm looking to move in around Roswell. Any thoughts on the place. I've visited family there and liked it. Also been to riudoso and it's nice. Hows the day to day?