PDA

View Full Version : Should I do this trade?

avastyematey
10-03-2009, 11:14 PM
1971 sportster for my 1985 GS550.
The sportster doesn't run yet. It needs electric work. My bike runs. But its almost winter anyone got any feelings about the trade?

justin666
10-03-2009, 11:20 PM
american>japanese when it comes to money...

how much "electrical" work does it need?
70s sportsters are sick

avastyematey
10-03-2009, 11:25 PM
you mean it costs more to keep it going if its american? or its worth more.
I think that the electric needs to be straight up pulled and gone through.

justin666
10-03-2009, 11:27 PM
i mean its worth more, and i sure know it costs more to get one. i've got an 81 kz650 and i really want a sporty especially a 70s one. but from what i've been told, its more work to keep those running than jap shit

i'd for sure trade

mjasen10
10-03-2009, 11:28 PM
worth more if its not a complete shit box. i would do it if your fairly handy w electrical work. i know for me personally i go fuckin nuts if i dont have SOMETHING to work on in the garage at all times. if your anything like me id probably do it.

willythepirate
10-04-2009, 12:26 AM
sometimes i think its more fun to work on them than ride them

then something else breaks...

oildevil13
10-04-2009, 1:39 AM
as I recall, the 71 is its own animal. Somebody can confirm or deny this? Many internals dont interchange? Most sporty stuff is advertised as 59-70 then up to 84' and so on.... I thought the 1971' was a one year only nightmare. Anything that is a one year run seems to be a pain in the ass and wallet for parts. Im not a preacher and that isnt gospel... but I seem to remember something like that.... anybody?

If you really want one... its going to be worth it. Ive spent way too much money on bikes I had to have... just the way I had to have them. I ended up satisfied, Im not planning on selling them either. If rolling something into something, into something else, and so on is your thing.... then you have to consider it all

justin666
10-04-2009, 2:00 AM
as I recall, the 71 is its own animal. Somebody can confirm or deny this? Many internals dont interchange? Most sporty stuff is advertised as 59-70 then up to 84' and so on.... I thought the 1971' was a one year only nightmare. Anything that is a one year run seems to be a pain in the ass and wallet for parts. Im not a preacher and that isnt gospel... but I seem to remember something like that.... anybody?

thats not something i considered but now that you mentioned it, i belive i've heard the same, but hopefully someone on here that knows their harleys can confirm it...

IronheadBobber
10-04-2009, 6:36 AM
you can completely wire an ironhead sporty in no time......get rid of all the bs you don't need, and there isn't all that much to it. I don't have it here, but Badassbrutus gave me a wiring diagram (online) for an ironhead.....super simple.

I don't think I have ever heard that 71's were bastard bikes, I know 79's are. but in any case, Ironhead sporties are true american icons......I'd trade the guy in a heartbeat

BullDog
10-04-2009, 7:07 AM
Check out this link dudes.......http://www.sportster.org/history/

Only thing I notice was the first year for the points/condenser to be moved behind the timing cover plate.

Doubleclutch
10-04-2009, 7:18 AM
79's are the basterd bike. Different heads if im not misstakin. I cant remember. I guess the oldtimers is kickin in.

avastyematey
10-04-2009, 9:15 AM
i want to do the trade, I am just a bit pissed because I spent this entire summer grabbing parts for a winter build, switching gears when I just have my head wrapped around a project is not something I am nessecarrily good at.

Toecutterp
10-04-2009, 9:35 AM
No way i wouldn't. Sell the ironhead and buy two GS550

CabritoLoco
10-04-2009, 9:49 AM
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/mdawdy/Maintenance/wiring13.jpg

problem solved...it's easy enough to add or leave out the parts you don't need for the elelctric start.

my vote is go for it, if it's what you want, all the wiring and other stuff is nothing that you can't fix by bonding with your machine.

yeah, 79 is the bastard. but still a good bike.

Robzilla
10-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I totally re-wired my 57 Ironhead, I mean everything!!! I took all the old shit out and re-wired that sum bitch from head to ass. In all honesty, I'm not an electrical genius and it was easy as hell to do. That diagram above is just like diagram I used and it was that simple. It took one day to do it, soldered all the connectors and shrink wrapped 'em. Put them in a wire loom and presto! Running bike!!!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/sgd2006/PhotoID8072-1.jpg

elTee
10-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I would do it in a heartbeat, simple chopper wiring is a piece of cake, i rewired my IH too...& I aint too bright!

avastyematey
10-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm goin for it. If it Actually happens it will be sweet.I'll keep everyone updated.

oildevil13
10-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Nothing more fun than brand new to you.....
It should be a fast winter with a brand new toy.

Personally, I think a busted Sportster is better than a running Honda.... project-wise.

snoosky
10-04-2009, 1:05 PM
Get that sporty! totally easy to work on. You can do tons of shit to that jap bike but it will never be as cool as your ironhead

RocksChops
10-04-2009, 1:31 PM
I certainly would if'n its not a turd.

Badassbrutus
10-04-2009, 1:57 PM
Trade that fucker quick!! I would it was the 79/80 that were the bastards ,it was only because of the frame design and not much aftermarket parts availible for em,But fuk it we are builders and can build shit in the winter right.
I can give ya a wiring diagram when you need one.hope this helps ya make ur mind up.
Make sur it has good compression and get the history of it and base your decision on that.

The diagrams givin to u already are cool I posted to quick and didnt see em ...

beezerglide
10-04-2009, 7:26 PM
trade it. wire is cheap those cartoon diagrams are all you need. hell 71 should be a kick start even easier to wire. and if you can't figure it out friends can. alot of us on here are aircraft electricians 20,000 wires and they're all white, i'm sure we could help.

CabritoLoco
10-04-2009, 9:45 PM
i checked with the yoda, for kicker, just leave out the starter button, cyl, and starter, and hot wire to battery. otherwise cartoon i posted should be just what you need for 71. hope it helps.

good luck with the IH, if I can give one word of advice, When you buy parts, Ask where they come from, most of the chinese, taiwanese, asian parts of crap that doesn't fit right and doesn't work right. Pay more for U.S.A made parts from known manufacturers of good shit, even if it means spending extra time to find them. You'll be glad you did in the long run. ask me how i know.

ChoppyGee
10-06-2009, 7:56 PM
I would consider you a bloody idiot if you didn't do the trade.

crass
10-06-2009, 11:50 PM
does the sportster have a center stand? If it doesn't I wouldn't do the trade..
just kidding.

This sounds like a sweet trade permitted the internals aren't shot to hell.
Do every test that you know how to do to try to sweeten the deal for yourself or just to make sure you're not gonna have to rebuild mega $$$$hit.

motomotard
10-07-2009, 12:16 AM
do it. i sold my 73 cb750 and used the cash to buy a shit 72 ironhead and havent regretted it once

although the ironhead will definitely be more of a pain in the ass, until youve had it for a while and worked the kinks out its gonna be a mother fucker to keep on the road. nice thing about a jap bike is they just keep going

avastyematey
10-19-2009, 1:03 PM
well of course this trade fell through. kid just stopped talking to me about it. oh well fuck 'im.
Instead I ended up with a sweet 79 CB1000 in a weird ass frame. Pics to come