PDA

View Full Version : Wiring new switches for 2001 Sportster

theOldePro
10-02-2009, 2:56 PM
this weekend, i'll be moving all of my switches, kill, starter, hi/low, and turn signals to a box under my battery. Question is, are there specific amp rating switches i need to use? is there anything within the sealed switch housings that i need to be aware of? like resistors/capacitors, etc, OR is it just grab some new switches and solder away.....

also, single throw, double pole vs. single pole and all that stuff.....

anyone that has done this, let me know.

thanks!

JaySco
10-05-2009, 5:41 AM
Can't help with the amp ratings, I guess I've just been lucky all these years. But I can tell you if you are going to toggle switches you will need an on/off/on for the turn signals, an on/on for the hi/low, and for the kill you can use a standard on/off, but if it's in a hard to reach spot why not just eliminate that one and use the key? Less junk in the trunk, and in a spot like that thats hard to see, it would suck to try to use your singal and kill the bike!

kingdeadbeat
10-06-2009, 6:08 PM
Ill be willing to bet that you could use a three position toggle for the signals, each side couuld be a signal, center would be off, I have relocated the high/low ON the actaull headlight, its easy access, and shortens the wires a bit...Im in the proccess of relocating the startedr button and kill near the coil....I'll post some pix when Im done......ampswise, I would use minimum 15...seems to work okay so far, and just know that the cheesy toggles from pep-boys or auto-zone are horribly made.try cole hersee switches, they seem a bit more heavy duty and come w a sealed option...I ride the shit outta my bike and have had shitty luck w the cheap ones....been chasing an electric ghost for a while come to find out, I had a burnt ass toggle, just put in the cole hersee, so we'll see how it works out, my friend who builds ground up hotrods swears by them, his is an opinion I would trust!!!

http://www.colehersee.com/catalog_top/index.htm