PDA

View Full Version : surviving turbonate...

chopitdropit
04-03-2011, 9:06 PM
Let me start out by saying I only met turbonate once before about a year ago at a small bike gathering over in Harrison Ar. He was the one with the smashed beer can still stuck to his forehead.....

So I'm on my second shakeout run thu the Ozarks since building the chop and correcting a couple of minor issues (like my battery flying off the side of a mountain). I've rolled a couple of hours east through winding hill country to Eureka Springs AR. and parked her in front of the Cathouse, went in and ordered up a cold one. I walk back out on the deck and hear something healthy coming down the hill. As it rounds the corner, I am blinded by the biggest, flakiest green metal flake job I've ever seen in my life and riding it is some special ed dude, all over the place flailing his arms in the air and looking like anyone within 100 yards of him is definitely gonna die. A beer magically appears as he wanders over and announces "Hey man, I know that bike from chopcult. It's me turbonate." And I know he can hold his beer, because I knew he'd had a few and he didn't slur fuckin once!

Shortly thereafter, having slithered off the main drag of Eureka Springs after being staked out by the popo and tongue lashed by a couple of shop owners, we regrouped at another bar a bit more on the outskirts of town. (Yeah, I'm leaving stuff out, otherwise this story will never end).

That was where the plan was hatched. (The word hatched will most likely come into play again later in this story).

If you hang out on a builder forum such as this, then you know a chop is never really finished.

My bike is adorned by one particular piece that I just didn't have the heart to finish with paint but didn't have the know how to do what I wanted. The rear fender. It is a super well built fender but needing a lot of finish attention for what I was thinking....chrome.

(I should probably mention that isn't all that wasn't finished, and this will be important in a bit...I had been riding real careful because I also haven't had time to finish my brackets to mout my rear master and it was a friggin gorgeous day so I was running the winding hills with nothing but a front minidrum and my drags are only 2" off the ground.)

Anyway, nate announces that he has a shop a couple towns away and is a metal worker, has plenty of beer (go figure) and the tools to do the job.

As I mentioned to you before, I mentioned to nate that with basically no brakes and dragging pipes threatening to throw me into oncoming traffic and/or off a mountain, we needed to roll pretty easy, to which he responded, It's all good man, I know what 60 feels like."

Well he might know what it feels like, but I bet he hasn't ever actually done it in his life. I bet there were times we were hitting 120 and he was putting on his arm flailing, look out I don't know what I'm doing, scare the shit outta everybody act every time we hit traffic. I had tears rolling down my face and don't know how the hell we aren't sitting in a hillbilly jail trying to post bail.

Nate, I like long dirt driveways as much as the next...hell I have one, but sheesh man, grade that damn thing.

...I'm gonna cut this long story a little shorter and let the pics tell the rest of it, but a couple of things I want to mention to set the stage are that the first trip to the tool box, the first drwer I looked in had fresh eggs laid in it. I had to look in one of his old trucks for something...fresh eggs laid in it. Went to wash my hands at the spigot...frsh egg...no wait...that's a ping pong ball. Friggin hillbilly...lol

Second is, ditch showed up to lend a hand. After hearing how he got the name, renamed him faceplant.

Anyway, several hours of taking turns on the manual labor, several beers and some rowdy paint the walls hang out time later I have a badass fender...still needs a turn on my bench polisher but looks so good I may not chrome it.

So thanks nate and ditch!!! crazy fawkers.

chopitdropit
04-03-2011, 9:08 PM
con't

chopitdropit
04-03-2011, 9:15 PM
Killer weekend...again, thanks guys. BTW nate...lost the front brake about 1:30 a.m....layed over in Eureka 'til I could patch 'er back together in daylight.

h8ter
04-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I spent a year in the south one month. It went about like that. I think. Awesome.

BullyGuns
04-04-2011, 6:00 AM
I lived in Texas for 2 years. I was in the military, but had a gf that was a civilian. She lived in the hills about an hour off post. So, long story way short, I met a bunch of locals and got the chance to hang with them a bit. To say those folks can drink is very much an understatement.

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

C

turbonate
04-04-2011, 7:14 AM
glad you came over dude, it was definatley a good time.

TkilledJ
04-04-2011, 7:20 AM
Sounds like a good time, thanks for the pictures, and sharing bro!

turbonate
04-04-2011, 7:37 AM
the pictures are great, me and ditch swiped the camera when rich was busy, and that's how he ended up with a picture of my ass. i bet that was a suprise wasn't it. :D

chopitdropit
04-04-2011, 8:46 AM
honestly, if I hadn't found a pic of your ass, that would have suprised me...haha. you hanging out on the property with it exposed does explain all those eggs.

Best weekend i've had in a while. And only thing that fell off this time was the mirror. (think I might have a little problem with the jackshaft tho...gotta break it down and have a look.

LinkBelt
04-04-2011, 9:22 AM
I've never met nate in person but just from his post on here and some of the builds he comes up with I knew he is a bit off in the head. That is the difference in an average biker and a true biker. :D

PS. Next time drink one for me Bro.

BeetleJuice
04-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Looks like a blast...thats always the best way to meet someone

turbonate
04-04-2011, 1:52 PM
getting wrecked and working on choppers = WINNING!

Skyhigh88
04-04-2011, 3:03 PM
You basically won the lottery

chopitdropit
04-04-2011, 7:14 PM
You basically won the lottery

Yes I did...lol

If any of you guys ever get the chance to come up and ride the Ozarks with us, definitely holler...you will have the time of your life.

recycler
04-04-2011, 7:32 PM
Great story! Good karma at work.
Hey, we're crashing one night in Harrison on the Ozark Mountain Scramble this year...............

chopitdropit
04-04-2011, 7:45 PM
Great story! Good karma at work.
Hey, we're crashing one night in Harrison on the Ozark Mountain Scramble this year...............

That's like a rock toss from nate and a couple hours from me bro...which night?

...maybe nate can serve breakfast....bahahahahaha...

turbonate
04-05-2011, 7:28 AM
That's like a rock toss from nate and a couple hours from me bro...which night?

...maybe nate can serve breakfast....bahahahahaha...maybe not serve breakfast, but i can make sure no one is walking straight before the night it over. i'll open my shop to all the scramblers for repairs, adjustments, burnouts, getting loaded, setting shit on fire, whatever. i'm literally 12 miles from the harrison stop.

recycler
04-05-2011, 8:23 PM
Harrison is the first night's stop - June 8.

This could be epic................:D